A&H

Player Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very difficult one to judge......had he said "you're fuc*ing sh*t" it would be a red card all day long......but he hasn't personalised it, which puts it into what is known as an orange card.....an offence that straddles red and yellow.
My gut instinct is that he said it deliberately loud enough for you to hear.....but tried to hide behind the "I didn't say to you though ref.." a fairly common excuse.
If it was shouted across the pitch at top volume, i'd be leaning towards red card......said at normal volumes between 2 team mates who were unaware I was there, might not even be a caution just a word......said loudly to his team mate knowing I'd hear.....definitely a caution...if he argued or was really annoying me, might even be a harsh red!

I'll also throw in an apology for my inital weary response to a topic much debated on here......
Paddy has apologised!!!! Holyyyyyyyyyyy crap! Where is Padfoot and what have you done with him?!?!?

The Referee Store
At the risk of drawing the ire of Padfoot, it's definitely a card, but I'm not 100% I'd go for red for that.

This is where the dreaded phrase of "tolerance" comes into play. If I sent off every player who swears I'd have never finished a match.

I do agree with you there, I thought I had to give him a yellow because he did it in a sense that he wanted me to hear him and it was loud and I didn't want other players to think they could get away with abusive language directed at me, thank you for your help :)

To be fair, when you say "I had to caution a player for abusive language toward myself" that gives us the impression it's something said directly to you, which would be a red card.

Yeah I thought that to myself reading it back, in a sense it is towards me but not directly spoken to me.

I appreciate your apology thank you. I believe it was said in the manor so I could hear it and he could let his opinion be known, it wasn't the first time he had been at me either. Throughout the game he had been complaining about decisions I made etc, but I am grateful for your help, thank you.

Forget future reference, if a player is getting at you over the course of a match then you don't need to wait until they something like this to get the yellow out.

Generally if some one has been getting good on my back but without straying into blatant dissent then have a quiet word with them, if theyou don't listen go for a public warning (you can include the captain here if you think he'll be of any use), then go for a caution if he still doesn't stop.

With some players you could go through the above steps in 15 minutes, so you might end up with a few cautions, but after the first 2-3 teams generally get the message.

It's all a learning get experience.

Got here late but you got it wrong

Sending-off offences

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:
• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
• denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the opponents’ goal by an offence punishable by a free kick
• serious foul play
• spitting at an opponent or any other person
• violent conduct
using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
• receiving a second caution in the same match

Offensive, insulting or abusive language
Verbal or physical behaviour which is rude, hurtful, disrespectful; punishable by a sending-off (red card)

Red card offences

@Brian Hamilton as an Observer would you mark someone down if they fail to send someone off for any form of swearing?

I know that my approach is not sticking strictly to the letter of the law, in that I don't send off every player who swears, but it's not been mentioned on any of my assessments.

If a player says " that ref is f****** crap" to a team mate.. and he knows damn well i'm within earshot... and believe me they know, than i'm giving him a red card....

Got here late but you got it wrong

Sending-off offences

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:
• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
• denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the opponents’ goal by an offence punishable by a free kick
• serious foul play
• spitting at an opponent or any other person
• violent conduct
using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
• receiving a second caution in the same match

Offensive, insulting or abusive language
Verbal or physical behaviour which is rude, hurtful, disrespectful; punishable by a sending-off (red card)

Red card offences

"You're rubbish ref, runined the game..."

That's disrespectful.....would you dismiss for it?

I have gone to the list of players before on the Whole Game and the name has not been there, sometimes the system is not updated in time, put the name in manually, put in an extraordinary report stating you asked the manager to confirm his name but refused to.Keep hold of your match sheet in case your F.A. contact you to clarify the name then they can sort it out.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's fairly common for names to be added to wholegame only when a referee enters a caution or dismissal for that player for the first time. That player then gets added to the list and can be selected from the dropdown menu by the next referee.

I refereed a newly formed team a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure there weren't 11 names on the list to choose from - I was typing in every name that time. And similarly, long-standing teams can have huuuuuuuuge lists of players, far more than any squad could possibly need to register for a single season, presumably because they're just left over from previous seasons.

I'm just saying that I don't think a player's name being missing from wholegame is a cause for alarm without something else going on too. If it does turn out to be an unregistered name, you might get a call or email from county to confirm you haven't mis-typed - but as long as you've entered the data correctly, you won't be blamed.

@GraemeS , we've been specifically told not to do that by our Governance Manager. If a player isn't listed, we contact the FA. As you say, Whole Game therefore creates a new player. That becomes a massive ball ache for the administration side of things.

Also, as per the topic... for me, for anything to fall into the OFFINABUS category, it absolutely depends on what is said, who it's said to and in what manner!

I once give a corner to what i thought and many other did too, a very good save by a narky keeper...As everyone moved into position with no queries from any player the keeper barks up 'Nick, (the manager) where did you get this f'kin clown from!'.... That had only one outcome, bye bye, :redcard: that led to a 2-3 year feud with same player that meant his gob got him in trouble every time i reffed him.....I was like a second mortgage payment:(! :cool:

@GraemeS , we've been specifically told not to do that by our Governance Manager. If a player isn't listed, we contact the FA. As you say, Whole Game therefore creates a new player. That becomes a massive ball ache for the administration side of things.

Also, as per the topic... for me, for anything to fall into the OFFINABUS category, it absolutely depends on what is said, who it's said to and in what manner!
Oh that's very interesting. I have to admit to having no official guidance on this, but I have typed in the name of quite a few cautions since moving to Essex - more than 10 at least. And the only contact I've had back from county is when I clicked the wrong name and accidentally assigned a caution to a player who had retired 3 seasons ago.

If I was causing them administration headaches on a weekly basis, I assume someone would have told me to stop by now! Maybe policies are different on a county-by-county basis?

Never come across that system before. Does it work effectively?
Yes it does, they've been offered a refsec and they've always voted against it, games are 97% covered so thats pretty high in most leagues.
In the past I've only took 3-4 games maximum a season for one team, doing the same team too regular isn't healthy!
Its the only saturday morning adult league locally so its a pretty popular league.Semi finals and finals though are league appointed!!!

What does law say? Does it mention swearing?

No it doesn't, but if we remove the swearing from the equation, would you mark someone down for not showing a straight red because someone said they were rubbish?

I know that they would be entirely correct to do so in law as it could definitely be classed as offensive or insulting, but it would be extremely harsh.

Oh that's very interesting. I have to admit to having no official guidance on this, but I have typed in the name of quite a few cautions since moving to Essex - more than 10 at least. And the only contact I've had back from county is when I clicked the wrong name and accidentally assigned a caution to a player who had retired 3 seasons ago.

If I was causing them administration headaches on a weekly basis, I assume someone would have told me to stop by now! Maybe policies are different on a county-by-county basis?
We've never been given guidance to chrck with FA. Im also certain when a referee enters a name it adds to the list. My thought process here is the formatting e.g. you'll have the same name 3 times, once spelt wrong, once in caps and one with no capitalisations at all.

My safety net is I always check against full time. If they arent on there thats when alarm bells would start ringing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back