A&H

Player not giving name

sidetracking just slightly if you dont mind...
if during the course of a game a player is being referred to by all and sundry (and i'm pulling random names here) as Gav... Smithy.... Gav Smith's ball etc etc and you subsequently come to caution or send off said player..... he gives you a name willingly and it's Jonathan Jones, who does in fact appear on the teamsheet....what would your responsibilities and duties be in this situation? is it our responsibility to report something of that nature as a note in your match report? bring it up during the moment ?

The Referee Store
Sorry, was rushing whilst typing, and hadn't phrased it properly and waffled on about something else. I meant if they refuse to give a name or give a name that is clearly like E.G. like micky mouse (although what if someones name was mickey mouse!!)

That was my point, i have mentioned it before on here. A local league to me put an email out to say that a club had in fact registered a Michael Mouse, so you cant caution because you "think" the name is wrong. His parents on the other hand....Straight red, what were they thinking!!!

I've played in a game with three John Smith's in the team once, that was interesting as they all got cautioned. Problem is, that was their real names.

sidetracking just slightly if you dont mind...
if during the course of a game a player is being referred to by all and sundry (and i'm pulling random names here) as Gav... Smithy.... Gav Smith's ball etc etc and you subsequently come to caution or send off said player..... he gives you a name willingly and it's Jonathan Jones, who does in fact appear on the teamsheet....what would your responsibilities and duties be in this situation? is it our responsibility to report something of that nature as a note in your match report? bring it up during the moment ?

Report the name he gives.

My Mrs is called Rebecca, however her team mates all call her Rach or Rachel.

Apparently when she first joined the team the coach kept calling her rachel and it stuck.

Thank you all for your comments! This was in a youth game, no team sheets. If there were teamsheets nice and easy because I just go with the number and put in name later. but there weren't teamsheets!!! I though after that I should've sent him off, slightly too lenient for U15 perhaps but oh well! Learning! If you were to put in a misconduct form, is it made against the club or player? Would you say 'I sent player x off for a second yellow card as he did not give me his name. I later gained the player's name from the coach.'

Good questions Will. Depending on the scenario would depend on how I would approach it. If I'm sending a player off for a second yellow, with the second yellow being for not giving his name, that's not rally worthy of a misconduct report. The reason why is because you can't punish twice for the same offence. With a second yellow, that's a bigger fine and a minimum one game ban. So, writing a misconduct report would be pointless. What I do in these situations is send in the two yellows via Whole Game and then fire off an email to the governance manager explaining what happened. Should there be anything else where the player requires disciplining, I would then write a misconduct report. I had one last Xmas, poor tackle... caution. Asked for players name, no name. Second yellow and a red. He then attempted to knock the cards out of my hand... that's your misconduct report right there. He then trashed the changing rooms... that was another misconduct report.

It completely depends on your governance manager. I have phoned mine up two times out of the three that I've had this issue to ask whether he'd like a quick explanation/email or a misconduct report. Only one offence required a misconduct. Again, this was from my governance manager, they may be different across the country. Some may want the full-formal route of a misconduct report just as supporting evidence.

Always the name given, as you go through the leagues you will be required to hand out a crime sheet after the game. If they have given you unregistered or players not on the team sheet then they will get a whopping fine. Managers are usually pretty quick to amend those type of things

You can't push too hard with some suspicious-sounding names though. Mickey Mouse is pretty obvious, but I've cautioned a Ricky Lambert and a Steve Gerrard before, both of which were actually their real names in the end.

Agree, I've had to caution two players , same side, both with same name before - both genuine names!

I mentioned this before on a previous thread on the same topic but I think it's still an interesting point that according to the old FA Disciplinary Handbooks up till 2012, "Refusing to give name (or giving false name) when ordered to do so" was specifically referred to as an offence and carried a 21-day suspension. Subsequent versions of the handbook do not contain the same level of detail on the various misconduct offences and the sanctions that apply but I suspect it might still be something along the same lines.

Back