A&H

Player shouts "break his legs" to team-mate about to make a challenge

Please don't think I'm "firing" you; I'm merely saying that this is an easy red card offence and it should be treated as such because of the nature of the words used.

The Referee Store
Had similar to this myself back in December in a cup match which Oranges won 2-0 AET against Blues. Oranges had been causing me issues all game and had picked up a number of yellow cards and a red along the way. Last minute or so of extra-time, a foul by Orange right back (which warranted another caution) was not well received by the Blue player-manager who squared up to the offender and threatened to break his legs in retaliation. Easy red under OFFINABUS for me.
Cue the Blue team club secretary, who was doing my line, confronting me in protest after the final whistle saying I'd had a good game up until that point but ruined it all with that decision. He appeared to accept by explanation that if in the next tackle the player-manager did indeed break his opponent's legs he'd already warned me so, meaning I had to get rid of him.
Doubt I scored many club marks at all that day despite having a really decent game IMHO!

Failure to show respect or AA, take your pick. I like AA.
Nothing aggressive about it though - simply suggesting to a teammate that they should make a tactical foul and accept a yellow in exchange for stopping a goal. Nothing necessarily aggressive there.

And I'm not sure failure to show respect is exactly right either - otherwise surely you'd have to apply the same logic if the player commits a tactical foul, which I don't think is the argument given for a tactical foul yellow.

Tactical foul :rolleyes: It's not a foul... it's an assault!

#GraemeS once someone shouts it out then rather than it becoming a natural reaction to foul someone, there is premeditation in the action and deliberately tripping or pulling someone down may cause injury and show's lack of care towards another opponent rather than just trying to win the ball.

If the player is initially just chasing and hoping he can catch a player to win the ball is suddenly instructed to take him down or pull him then his actions can be construed as being aggressive. It is a deliberate attempt to foul someone and if you deliberately attempt to stop someone depending how you achieve this is most certainly could be aggressive.

Yes there are instances where a player will 'take one for the team' I think however when someone shouts it and another player reacts then it should be two sanctions one for the protagonist and one for the person who carries out the action. Depending on how the instruction is carried out then the fouler will either be red or yellow?

#GraemeS once someone shouts it out then rather than it becoming a natural reaction to foul someone, there is premeditation in the action and deliberately tripping or pulling someone down may cause injury and show's lack of care towards another opponent rather than just trying to win the ball.

If the player is initially just chasing and hoping he can catch a player to win the ball is suddenly instructed to take him down or pull him then his actions can be construed as being aggressive. It is a deliberate attempt to foul someone and if you deliberately attempt to stop someone depending how you achieve this is most certainly could be aggressive.

Yes there are instances where a player will 'take one for the team' I think however when someone shouts it and another player reacts then it should be two sanctions one for the protagonist and one for the person who carries out the action. Depending on how the instruction is carried out then the fouler will either be red or yellow?
The use of the word "assault" is where I took issue. If I told you a player had assaulted another player in a match I refereed, you would instantly assume I had sent him off straight away. If I told you a player had tripped or pulled another player, you would be looking for context and a more detailed description before even assuming I might have shown yellow.

Sure, there are instances where a pull or trip might earn yellow even outside the "tactical foul" context. And there are other instances where a trip is just a trip, and not even an aggressive one. Suggesting that a player is encouraging assault by instructing a teammate to trip an opponent - and therefore should count themselves lucky to get away with just yellow - is not always the case. Context is king.

Hence my comment taking one for the team....however it could depending on the challenge be construed as an assault?

If you are instructing someone to break another persons leg, and that person follows through with that action... what other word is there to describe it? It's assault! "An attack or threat of violence"

If you are instructing someone to break another persons leg, and that person follows through with that action... what other word is there to describe it? It's assault! "An attack or threat of violence"
But you answered my post, which specifically refers to telling a teammate to trip or pull an opponent....

@GraemeS , I'm referring to the "break his legs" comment, I was assuming that you were talking about this.

Back