A&H

Players holding hands at corners

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
So, observing a referee with top U13 boys.

The home coach has obviously had way too many sessions and has got creative.

At every attacking corner 4-6 of his players hold hands in chain, usually starting around the penalty spot. Obviously a ploy to confuse, disorientate and block the opponents.

We had far more important incidents to talk about in the post match. The referee did not address this hand holding in the game.

Have you seen it before, what do you think?

The Referee Store

At every attacking corner 4-6 of his players hold hands in chain, usually starting around the penalty spot. Obviously a ploy to confuse, disorientate and block the opponents.

We had far more important incidents to talk about in the post match. The referee did not address this hand holding in the game.

Difficult to say without being there.
As a setup I don't think you can do anything about it but warn that contact that impedes attacker runs might be considered a foul and as such a penalty.
It's a tough one as every player is entitled to their space but I'd say denying space using the arms probably falls into foul/careless contact if contact is made and easily sellable as impeding progress with contact if needed.
Did it cause the the referee any issues in the game?

I have - Grimsby Town did this technique in the1980's....

It stops the defenders being able to interfere with the staring position of the attackers, as they get blocked out. Nothing wrong with this until the ball is played, then it could be interference (old word - obstructing the defenders), so a DFK to the defenders. Never a caution.

My reading of the OP is that it is the attacking team holding hands.
Yes, it was the attackers.

It was also 12-13 year olds. And a relatively big game.

My take, and I have cojones ;) …if I see this I am going to shut it down. I think the coach is trying to cheat.

But I will be proactive and fair. No drama, no surprises. First thing is to gently warn the players - guys, if you hold hands to stop the opponent moving it might be an offence. And before the restart I will go and tell the coach the same thing, in earshot of the other coach, so everyone has the same info.

That way, if it carried on, I’ve sold the decision already. No drama.

And I’m also going to post this on my local ref group so that colleagues watch for this.

In the end, it’s not football.

Until it interferes with an opponent in someway, I think it is a big fat nothing. As soon as the hand holding interferes with an opponent being where the opponent wants to be, IMO the referee needs to stop it and let the opponent go in. (Or, if the kick is taken, it’s a foul as soon as the holding interferes with an opponent. I’d probably call it holding rather than impeding, but call it something. One foul call and it’s done.

Stop it the first time you see it. Let it go two or three times and you have no legs to stand on in terms of giving a foul or asking them not to do it.

Back