A&H

Pre-season starts early this year....

ASM

Staff member
Level 3 Referee
Just had a nice email from the FA appointing me to referee the pre-season friendly between Cheadle Town and Dinamo Bucharest on Monday night.

Got to be happy with that, although I've never had a pre-season with friendly games in June before!

The Referee Store
Good thanks. Obviously the gulf in quality between a Romanian top division side and one from the North West counties League Division 1 told in the second half but the game itself was a relatively quick paced skilful affair.

Players behaved sensibly, in a competitive fixture one tackle would have received a caution but otherwise I good evening at the office. Feeling it a bit this morning though I have to say.

Some photos of the game are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kickoffmphotography/sets/72157645398899896/with/14545364432/

Well done mate, sounds like a great start to a hopefully great season! Seems ridiculous there weren't more people there watching!

The game had unfortunately been moved from Cheadle Town's ground to the De Vere Mottram Hall Hotel (which has an excellent training facility) at around 24 hours notice. I think this greatly reduced the number of spectators as Cheadle is within 10-15 minutes of Manchester city centre and the hotel is a little more remote.

Still, a nice start to pre-season.

@HullRef that's not a problem as 1 July officially marks the start of the new season. Technically, June is the close season and fixtures will not normally be sanctioned in that month.

Always nice when the emails keep coming!

Another one for tomorrow now, AR for Bury v Melbourne City FC. Should be good fun.

My first game is next Tuesday (29th). On the line for a Burton academy match, nice way to get going before a week long academy festival at the start of August!

Yeah, especially with the teams that are going to be there.

Sheffield Utd; MK Dons; Bristol Rovers; Aberdeen; Derby County;
Birmingham City; Peterboro Utd; Leicester City; Dunfermline; Sheffield
Wednesday; Watford; Leyton Orient; Millwall; Burton Albion; ISFA
(Independent Schools) and Norway.

Back