A&H

Open Age Prejudgements on a match

Ref Luke 2203

Level 5 Referee
After being ref for a match last month where it ended with 2 booked for dissent during the match, then after the final whistle 1 more booked for dissent and a red for OFFINABUS all for the home team, and received a threat in the car park after the match, I have been allocated to another of their matches for tomorrow.

The flashpoint in the last match was a penalty decision against them. I started giving a freekick in centre circle against them. One player questioned me, I gave a short reason for decision. Whilst that player still questioned me, I was watching the ball and they took a quick freekick. They played it into the penalty area and in came a silly tackle which led to a penalty. Queue arguments they shouldnt of been allowed a quick free kick. I disagree completely. I had finished that conversation. The game was heated from that point on despite them winning comfortably.

Now I never prejudge matches... BUT I cant seem to help it for this one. The last match was the only time I have had them before and weirdly didnt think I had a bad game which warranted such a reaction. This is the only time I have had a team react like that to me. As much as I look forward to putting the previous game behind me and getting back out with them (they are a local team so we was always going to meet again at some point) im not sure how best to handle it really.

Any advice for how to handle this situation?

The Referee Store
Players cannot be predicted and will claim you've had an awful game when, hand on heart, you know you haven't put a foot wrong. Deep breaths, brush it off as quick as you can, don't engage in long conversations, don't be afraid to use your cards where necessary (especially for dissent - use the stepped approach) and treat it like any other game.

You're in charge, not them.

Go in with a clear head, and referee it as a clean slate. No history, no past. As difficult as that can be at times, I think that's just what we're expected to do.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much you can do if that team decides you have it in for them and carry on where they left off. Nor is there much you could do to sway them either. Some teams will be like that.

There is a difference in prejudging and going into a game prepared with previous knowledge. The first one can ruin your game while the latter can help you control it.
For example knowing team tactics or key players who often get fouled help you with your positioning.

In your case use it as a way of being prepared and not being caught out by surprised. Don't do what you normally wouldn't do. For example if you normally use the step theory to handle dissent, do the same. If your normal tollerence for dissent is high, do the same. If you normally use early prevention (caution for dissent early to show everyone you don't put up with it), do the same. Prior knowledge helps you execute your normal game plan better.

Go there with an open mind and a smile on your face and take a few spare pencils, you never know when they may be helpful.

Identify the players that gave you problems before and get them in the book as quick as you can.....they will either stop being a problem or they’ll be off the pitch....win/win.

There are some players who simply need to be on a caution before they settle down and get on with it.

Thanks for all the advice. I have slept since the appointment was made. Head clear and ready to go this evening (weather permitting again!!!). I will at least be prepared knowing how it could go and be pleasantly surprised if it all goes well. I wont be changing anything I wouldnt normally do as normally I dont have many issues Still going in armed with extra pencils just incase 😉

I remember a nightmare match (late 3-2 loss) once with all sorts of charges against a team and a player manager, (2xRC, 2x Misconduct including attempted assault) the week after I got them again as an away team and I didn’t know till I approached the pitch, my heart was racing so I held out my hand, smiled and got on with it. 60minutes in and they were leading 2-1 and the other team equalised, it was deja vu from the previous game. Luckily nothing happened after that and it all ended up card free! Just shows that you never know what happens till it happens!

Thanks for all the advice. I have slept since the appointment was made. Head clear and ready to go this evening (weather permitting again!!!). I will at least be prepared knowing how it could go and be pleasantly surprised if it all goes well. I wont be changing anything I wouldnt normally do as normally I dont have many issues Still going in armed with extra pencils just incase 😉
I think the pre-match is important. One tip I have learnt is to say the same thing to both coaches/captains. If you want to mention the last game and/or your tolerance for dissent, give both teams the same talk/knowledge.

In the end you a ref because you can do a game like this, "rise above it" and treat the teams fairly. Good luck tonight. Let us know how it goes;)

We've all been in this situation.
I'd suggest not to make any reference to last game at all. Or even dissent. Because that can easily be used against you if it goes pear shaped.

Keep the same prematch you would otherwise use. Show confidence, but still smile and have fun, and use banter and on-the-fly comments as you always do (or don't).

You're concerned about facing them - but sometimes after a game like that, as soon as the captain sees you turn up he'll tell his players to keep a lid on it, because they don't want the same thing to happen either!

What happened last game, happened last game.

We've all been in this situation.
I'd suggest not to make any reference to last game at all. Or even dissent. Because that can easily be used against you if it goes pear shaped.

Keep the same prematch you would otherwise use. Show confidence, but still smile and have fun, and use banter and on-the-fly comments as you always do (or don't).

You're concerned about facing them - but sometimes after a game like that, as soon as the captain sees you turn up he'll tell his players to keep a lid on it, because they don't want the same thing to happen either!

What happened last game, happened last game.
I agree. Make no reference to the previous game.
Just treat it like any other, but perhaps be quicker on the cards than you might normally be.

I wont reference the last game. Treat it as water under the bridge. Its a new match and we go again. It was first time I reffed that team so maybe it was a one off and I was the unlucky one. At least I am cautious this time and can react appropriately if required. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how it goes if the pitch has survived the rain!

I wont reference the last game. Treat it as water under the bridge. Its a new match and we go again. It was first time I reffed that team so maybe it was a one off and I was the unlucky one. At least I am cautious this time and can react appropriately if required. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how it goes if the pitch has survived the rain!

Naive in the extreme.

Guaranteed that the problem players won’t be giving you a clean slate.

Stop listening to the snowflakes and make sure you get a firm grip of the petulant ones right from the start.
If you go into the game thinking you were the problem and not them you run the risk of being hesitant to get the cards out, because...well...it might be you and not them.

Good luck Luke if it goes ahead brave and says a lot about you if your going into it without retaliation on your mind or anger towards the team in question.

To walk back onto a pitch infront of players and others that have been abusive towards me & threatened me after the previous game I’d find very difficult myself, I hope you come back on here if it goes ahead with a positive outcome.

Naive in the extreme.
Please do not get me wrong, I am not naive in my expectations of their behaviour but will judge their behaviour on todays events alone.

If theres any sign of an issue it will be dealt with immediately. No nice talking to as I know from experience how I will have to handle it.

To walk back onto a pitch infront of players and others that have been abusive towards me & threatened me after the previous game I’d find very difficult myself, I hope you come back on here if it goes ahead with a positive outcome.
I would say I am better equipped knowing what could happen than I was last time with a team I did not know. All games must be reffed equally or consistancy goes out the window.

Will update when I return.

Got to love this new word to describe the new generation ‘Snowflakes’..:)... not sure it’s made the Oxford Dictionary Thesaurus yet but I’m sure it’s imminently being added.

Naive in the extreme.

Guaranteed that the problem players won’t be giving you a clean slate.

Stop listening to the snowflakes and make sure you get a firm grip of the petulant ones right from the start.
If you go into the game thinking you were the problem and not them you run the risk of being hesitant to get the cards out, because...well...it might be you and not them.

As someone who has a very low tolerance level on the pitch, I find it odd that you are happy to use a derogatory word against fellow referees (Wikipedia says it is derogatory so it must be ...;)). As hard as this may be to believe, your opinion is not always the right one.

When I was a L4 I got a rearranged contrib game that had initially been abandoned due to fighting, fair to say that they put three very experienced officials on the game. Will always remember the referee telling the captains "I know what happened in the last game, if you want to fight and play silly games save it until you play at (the away team venue) later in the season. Try it tonight and you'll regret it".

Nothing happened, game passed with no incident at all.

Well after all of that, the game has been called off. Turned up and the pitch is waterlogged. Even inspected a second pitch and that was waterlogged too. Games being called off in May!!! Madness.

Well after all of that, the game has been called off. Turned up and the pitch is waterlogged. Even inspected a second pitch and that was waterlogged too. Games being called off in May!!! Madness.

Look on the bright side you get to keep your teeth for another night :D

Back