A&H

Promotions 2024

I wouldn't bet on it !
2 lines and 1 middle for me this month at level 3. Same as last month - lots of time on the couch !
The middle will almost certainly be observed and nearly a month after the last one. That's the bit I find hardest

Interesting. Where abouts are you geographically?

I'm intrigued to know if those operating as a 4 or 3 make themselves available to Step 7 and below if you're not active on steps 6-4 on a weekend?

I know of a 4 who closes 1 weekend a month so he gets a step 7 game to guarantee him an extra middle.
I do occasionally take extra on but my wife works Saturdays so I have to organise childcare to referee usually, so I tend to spend my Saturday's off with the kids instead.

The Referee Store
I know of a 4 who closes 1 weekend a month so he gets a step 7 game to guarantee him an extra middle.
I do occasionally take extra on but my wife works Saturdays so I have to organise childcare to referee usually, so I tend to spend my Saturday's off with the kids instead.
He needs to be careful doing this. The FA will not look favourably upon referees making themselves unavailable when in fact they are making themselves available elsewhere.

The way he needs to do this is to wait for FA appointments. Then offer out what is left and then close the dates after.

I'm always wary of closing dates after the fact in case it comes down to availability and then my calendar looks like I am hardly available.

He needs to be careful doing this. The FA will not look favourably upon referees making themselves unavailable when in fact they are making themselves available elsewhere.

The way he needs to do this is to wait for FA appointments. Then offer out what is left and then close the dates after.

I'm always wary of closing dates after the fact in case it comes down to availability and then my calendar looks like I am hardly available.

Yeah I know. It's a risky strategy and it's one I certainly wouldn't play.

What you say at the bottom is one that bothers me. If I don't have a game I'm quite happy to wait until the Thursday to find out, but then usually I will not organise childcare, make plans etc by then, but I don't know whether to close the date at this point because I don't then ideally want a late appointment but I also don't want it to look like I was unavailable on that date!

Yeah I know. It's a risky strategy and it's one I certainly wouldn't play.

What you say at the bottom is one that bothers me. If I don't have a game I'm quite happy to wait until the Thursday to find out, but then usually I will not organise childcare, make plans etc by then, but I don't know whether to close the date at this point because I don't then ideally want a late appointment but I also don't want it to look like I was unavailable on that date!
Beyond practical issues, I know some referees will also avoid leaving themselves open for late throwbacks for 'O'ther reasons. Not much imagination needed to work out their logic

That being said, I do tend to leave myself open when free and have picked up a couple of late fixtures I have been nothing but pleased to get, one very late in the day

If the FA notice this, he can be pulled off for senior football and even face sanction.
Going back a few years, but a local L4 regularly did this and was found out, he was closing Saturdays to referee local games. He was given a warning the first time but carried on doing it and was reclassified to L5 as a result.

If an L4 or above takes a game outside of the NLS system they technically shouldn't close that date on MOAS until 4 days before the kick off time due to the order of precedence. But I suspect with the surplus of officials that isn't enforced anywhere near like it was in the past.

Back