A&H

Pushing and shoving at set plays

JudgeDreadful

I've been having a bit of trouble dealing with pushing and shoving in a few games (usually at corners) where players are jostling for position etc. Does anyone have any advice on what to say to players or how to deal with it. I find it difficult to determine who, if anyone, is actually commiting an offence. E.g. Before the kick is taken, an attacker stands directly in front of the goalkeeper which isn't an offence but possibly with the view to impede him, the keeper in turn pushes him away and then is pushed back and things escalate from there...It's all handbags really but messy to deal with.

The Referee Store
When the wall is setting up and the keeper is doing their thing, come wide and have an eye out for anyone starting to get handsy - it doesn't particularly matter who - and blow the whistle, pull them over, tell them to pack it in.

Everyone else then thinks 'crikey, Judge Dreadful is spotting everything, best behave', and even though you've no idea what actually happens once twenty people all try to occupy the same point in space, you've given the warning and set the expectation.

On seeing the offence, are you taking the same position every time? If you know it's an issue, consider coming wider around or closer in to give yourself a better chance to spot these things as they're building up.

I've been having a bit of trouble dealing with pushing and shoving in a few games (usually at corners) where players are jostling for position etc. Does anyone have any advice on what to say to players or how to deal with it. I find it difficult to determine who, if anyone, is actually commiting an offence. E.g. Before the kick is taken, an attacker stands directly in front of the goalkeeper which isn't an offence but possibly with the view to impede him, the keeper in turn pushes him away and then is pushed back and things escalate from there...It's all handbags really but messy to deal with.
For tbe first corner at each end, look for any holding/impeding/pushing before the kick. Big whistle, walk a few metres towards the goal area, call loudly "I'm watching you two, cut it out or there will be a penalty or free kick"
Before whistling for the kick to be taken, "Arms down!" then whistle.
If a penalty or free kick is still needed, the offender gets it from his mates - "He just told you"
Vary your position for corners, and learn early whether likely to be near post or long.

It's not really laid out in the LOTG, but broadly speaking, I go with an "everyone's entitled to their space" policy.

In your example, I have no issue with the attacker taking up his position. If he were to just stand still while the corner comes in, then it's not an offence, even though he's picked a spot directly in front of the GK.

Of course in reality we all know he's not going to just stand there - and if the GK moves to go round him and he steps across or stretches out an arm to block, easy defensive FK. That doesn't mean the GK can push him out the way of course - the GK has a right to his space, but he doesn't have a right to a clear path, so he needs to be aware that he's potentially giving away a penalty if he chooses to just push without making any effort to go round.

And as @JBeil completely correctly says, it's often easiest to drag them out and make a point that you're watching rather than give a surprise penalty. I've used a script something like "[to GK] he's entitled to his position, don't shove him [turn to attacker] he's entitled to move around you, don't move to block him", but you need to decide what you will/won't act on and find a way to describe it that is snappy and clear in your voice.

Good comments, more tools:

If you’ve got two players who won’t stop “manhandling” each other - you’ve seen it in TV: whistle, pull them to the side, give them the FIFA fingers, remind them that they don’t want to ruin a goal or create a penalty.

Nuclear option if you’ve got way too much holding from both sides, it’s getting out of control, you’ve already warned etc… then, as soon as the ball is in the air whistle a defensive DFK. It’s safe, should get the attacking team focused for next time and you can hopefully work on key players at the next set piece.

"Eyes on the ball lads"

"Nice and steady"

"My assistant is watching" (if you have neutral assistants).

Let players know you're there!

Back