A&H

Question on putting cards through

FC555

Level 7 Referee
Potentially a silly question but I'm just wondering everyone's thoughts.

I started this season reffing my local men's league, after a few games decided to get back to playing and have since then been signed on as player and haven't reffed any games in that league. The appts secretary no longer considers me for any fixtures, but today I was asked by a team who wasn't assigned a ref if I could help out as I wasn't playing.

I reffed the game, had to give 2 reds (both for abusive langauge) and 1 yellow to one of the teams. The tricky part for me is that my club has a team in the same league as these 2 teams, in fact I played against the team I gave the reds to just before Christmas.

Would you still put these cards through? Technically a stand in ref sorted by the home team is usually a random person who isn't qualified and has no access to WGS, and also it feels a bit tricky to put through cards that would lead to bans for 2 players, when I could possibly be playing against their side as soon as next week? But then on the other side it also feels completely wrong to not put them through...

The Referee Store
I reffed my own team a week ago 😳 because they had no other option, sent off one of the opposing players. I figure both sides would rather a qualified ref than a coach who will be focussed on two things at once.

I reffed my own team a week ago 😳 because they had no other option, sent off one of the opposing players. I figure both sides would rather a qualified ref than a coach who will be focussed on two things at once.
You'd imagine so! The team with the abusive players knew there's a shortage, knew they didnt have one officially assigned, and knew I stepped in last minute, but the abuse was still there. I've agreed to ref my own team previously too, that one time is the only time I'll ever do it😬

it feels a bit tricky to put through cards that would lead to bans for 2 players, when I could possibly be playing against their side as soon as next week?
Would it feel less tricky if I said that failure to submit these cards could lead to your suspension instead?

Would it feel less tricky if I said that failure to submit these cards could lead to your suspension instead?
Could it though, given that I was doing it as a random stand in provided by the home side, and my local FA'S rules state that registered refs signed on as players can't  officially ref/be assigned to any games involving teams from the same leagues as my club's teams?

I've submitted them now anyway, I figure if the FA aren't happy with it they'll just deal with it on their end.

Could it though, given that I was doing it as a random stand in provided by the home side, and my local FA'S rules state that registered refs signed on as players can't  officially ref/be assigned to any games involving teams from the same leagues as my club's teams?

I've submitted them now anyway, I figure if the FA aren't happy with it they'll just deal with it on their end.
It is covered in league rules, any replacement referee inherits the powers of a fully qualified referee for the duration of the game. Even if you weren't a referee you really should be contacting the CFA to inform them of cards, perhaps via the league, as a qualified and registered referee it is an absolute must.

It is covered in league rules, any replacement referee inherits the powers of a fully qualified referee for the duration of the game. Even if you weren't a referee you really should be contacting the CFA to inform them of cards, perhaps via the league, as a qualified and registered referee it is an absolute must.
Ah I didn't actually know this part about even unqualified ones having to do it, that answers everything. Thanks everyone.

Ah I didn't actually know this part about even unqualified ones having to do it, that answers everything. Thanks everyone.
Well in reality the vast majority of games officiated by a non-referee won't see any cards given out, if for no other reason than the makeshift referee won't have any. This is why these games often kick off, as there is no one who can control player behaviour and frustrations boil over.

Unfortunately for you, you don't have the same excuse.

Back