A&H

Recording your match

L Hart

Level 7 Referee
Hi guys,

I've got an old 'flip' camcorder, and I had a thought about using it for recording my matches, so I can watch over and analyse my games.

Has anybody got any thoughts about this?

The Referee Store
The only games that I have footage of are ones which have been played at either Academies (Arsenal, Chelsea, etc.), or from highlight edits on club's YouTube accounts. It is a good tool to analyse the smaller details that you want to perfect in yourself and also see what assessors are seeing. However, I couldn't imagine taking a camera with me to a game to record the footage.

A couple of questions you may want to ask yourself are:
  • Will all of the players/spectators be happy to be filmed if the game isn't in a public place?
  • Will you be able to have an elevated position to record from? - recording at ground level won't show you much.

The only games that I have footage of are ones which have been played at either Academies (Arsenal, Chelsea, etc.), or from highlight edits on club's YouTube accounts. It is a good tool to analyse the smaller details that you want to perfect in yourself and also see what assessors are seeing. However, I couldn't imagine taking a camera with me to a game to record the footage.

A couple of questions you may want to ask yourself are:
  • Will all of the players/spectators be happy to be filmed if the game isn't in a public place?
  • Will you be able to have an elevated position to record from? - recording at ground level won't show you much.

I was thinking of getting a tripod to elevate it. As for players/spectators, I don't think they're ever happy, so probably not. Maybe hide it in the bushes? :p

Then where would the Assessor be able to hide?

The Bar !!!! :drink::ninja: As you will find out on Wednesday...

Some referees don't think we watch their matches anyway, so may as well do it from somewhere warm, dry and with a pint.;)

I have had a few games recorded by clubs with the video available on the Internet to all afterwards. Wasn't warned before hand, but didn't really care either way.

In fact, one of them was quite handy to clarify that a team who I shall of course not name are a bunch of lady gardens and I was not quite as blind and clueless as I was accused of!!!! :)

Some referees don't think we watch their matches anyway, so may as well do it from somewhere warm, dry and with a pint.;)
the only time the assessor can watch a game from the bar is if the referee agrees to buy the beer lol

Never been Wetherby....I had been told there was no bar!

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_lodge_lane.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_lodge_lane.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 26

Please don't. This was genuinely done to me once before. Never saw the assessor, never came and spoke to me. Someone said an assessor had been there, watching from the bar, but I dismissed it as BS. Until I got the report however... Young, inexperienced and naive at the time I said nothing and just took it on the chin. Shouldn't have but there we go :(

I'm confused - how are you going to record yourself referee? No camera is going to be wide enough the film the whole pitch, so surely someone will need to move the camera to follow the play?

I'm confused - how are you going to record yourself referee? No camera is going to be wide enough the film the whole pitch, so surely someone will need to move the camera to follow the play?

Good question!

Maybe if I get it high enough up above the pitch?

Or just focus on a certain area (easy enough if you're AR I guess).

Probably depend on the pitch and getting a good angle to get the most of the pitch I guess.

I had a team this weekend with the audacity to accuse me of never leaving the centre circle *gasps with shock* - so maybe I should focus there to work out my occupancy levels in the infamous "centre circle"?

I got told the other week that I needed to get out of the centre circle by one of the players towards the end of the game....The next day I could barely walk.

Players like to throw that one out at you. Don't let them convince you unles you know you're doing it

I got told the other week that I needed to get out of the centre circle by one of the players towards the end of the game....The next day I could barely walk.

Players like to throw that one out at you. Don't let them convince you unles you know you're doing it
i do try and make a conscious effort to stay out of it as much as i can, unless its vital to be in it for a decent view of something.
i had a 4g game sunday, and i made a comment to the manager about how my knees ache after a game on that sort of surface and he said... '' just stand in the centre circle for 90 minutes '' ..... like, yeah, sure... you'd let me get away with that !

Back