A&H

Red card

colindotcom

Ran the line for for my local club before my season start. Decent game by the referee (despite not warming up?!).
Anyway last minute flash point between two players much of nothing really chests out etc. Referee gave red a piece.
Manager spoke after the game to him and he may rescind to a yellow each.

My question is: do we as referees have the option to rescind a red card after the game has finished?

The Referee Store
Ran the line for for my local club before my season start. Decent game by the referee (despite not warming up?!).
Anyway last minute flash point between two players much of nothing really chests out etc. Referee gave red a piece.

My question is: do we as referees have the option to rescind a red card after the game has finished?
No. Report as a dismissal. Once the action is taken on the field, the facts have to be reported. If someone else decides to rescind it, that's up to them.

No, no, no and no. If he does that then he's liable to be charged for it - it would be as serious as not reporting the cards. The clubs can always appeal for wrongful dismissal if they want to. Then again, a red in pre-season is only the £10 admin fee plus a one match suspension from the team's next friendly match anyway, so there wouldn't be much point!

Having made the correct decision initially, i would have no logical reason to change my mind...... let your FA sort it out on an appeal.

Absolutely not. The facts of the match are that a red card was issued and the decision was not changed before play restarted. To write it up as a caution is to lie about the facts of the match.
If you, as a referee, is absolutely certain you got it wrong then you can report that on the incident report and request it to be rescinded. But it would have to be a major, major, major error, not just 'yeah, that was too harsh, I shouldn't have given that'.

Big no, never do it because it's your integrity you're rescinding as well!

On your report you can say that you feel on reflection it may not have warranted the RC. I'm sure I've heard that some people have mentioned to the CFA that you recommend the RC not stand.

You wouldn't give a red card in a game and then change it to a yellow if a player had been arguing, you may do it on your own terms (not saying it is correct or that I would do it) but still it would make you look like a weak referee and too worried about sending someone off. It should be no different after a game has finished. There was an incident in the championship or premier league (can't remember) a couple of yeas ago with QPR I think where a similar event occurred - not good

Unlikely but I think this always has to be considered as an option. If after reflection or upon receipt of some credible additional information you conclude that a red card was inappropriate what would you do? However, I think it would have to be very specific circumstances to prompt such a change of mind.

Back