A&H

referee error

In this scenario would you go for A, B or C?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
If a referee decides a challenge is not a foul and that player who felt he was fouled calls you a "F****** C***" would you:

A. Show the red card for offinabus?

or

B. Show the yellow card for unsporting behaviour AAA?

or

C. Something else?

What a choice!

The Referee Store
I don't think B is a valid option. The only options are a dissent yellow or red for offinabus. I'm guessing what the starred out words are but this is 100% clearly a red.

AAA is for player - player interactions.

Is that strictly true? I gave an AAA caution on Sunday morning (second for the same player so he was obviously dismissed) for a player who was on the floor after a 50/50 and ranting and raving, clearly AAA in my view. He didn't aim it at anyone in particular but it was obvious he needed to have a break and I enforced that for him (i won't go into the palaver that happened as I tried to dismiss him when the team were adamant they would sub him instead though hadn't begun the substitution procedure).

Bit of a mad one, good old Sunday league!

Its 100% as a in my opinion those are one of the two C words which lead to a straight red when used with that other word in front.

At Grassroots, I would expect a RED. The only reason for it not to be issued, would be the volume of him telling you are FC was very low and did not carry across the FOP. Then, I can understand it could be something else.

However at EPL level, it will be play on "I heard nothing" 😂

Is that strictly true? I gave an AAA caution on Sunday morning (second for the same player so he was obviously dismissed) for a player who was on the floor after a 50/50 and ranting and raving, clearly AAA in my view. He didn't aim it at anyone in particular but it was obvious he needed to have a break and I enforced that for him (i won't go into the palaver that happened as I tried to dismiss him when the team were adamant they would sub him instead though hadn't begun the substitution procedure).

Bit of a mad one, good old Sunday league!
I don't think it is strictly true - for example, a player who chooses to square up to a ref could easily go down as dissent, OFFINABUS or AAA depending on what is said etc. And you could definitely have AAA directed at a supporter, team official, ball-boy, random passer-by walking their dog...

Having said all that, I still think I'd have been inclined to go with dissent and a sin-bin for a player who is clearly reacting to not getting a foul decision they want. The exact method chosen for it sounds very odd, but the overall context is "I'm not happy with your decision and I'm going to publicly disrupt the game in order to display that" - that's dissent for me.

I don't think it is strictly true - for example, a player who chooses to square up to a ref could easily go down as dissent, OFFINABUS or AAA depending on what is said etc. And you could definitely have AAA directed at a supporter, team official, ball-boy, random passer-by walking their dog...

Having said all that, I still think I'd have been inclined to go with dissent and a sin-bin for a player who is clearly reacting to not getting a foul decision they want. The exact method chosen for it sounds very odd, but the overall context is "I'm not happy with your decision and I'm going to publicly disrupt the game in order to display that" - that's dissent for me.
He'd been a bit of a nightmare during the game and I felt him being out of it for the rest (full second half at least) was better than 10 minutes because it wasn't the first time he'd played up.

Sent a player off a couple of weeks ago for this very thing. 20th minute, ball ricocheted off a few players and out for a throw in on the halfway line and I had to make a call. I shouted red ball before CAR had a chance to flag but blue player shouted “you cheating t**t””. Took his name and red carded him.
I was talking to a spectator after the game who said he understood my reasons for the red card but I had now set a precedent and had to do that in all my games. I replied that I had set that precedent 20 years ago and have always sent off for it!
4 days later, when I turned up for another game, the blue manager was a spectator and insisted I had over reacted with his player on Saturday; he just couldn’t/wouldn’t accept that calling the ref a cheat is unacceptable.
This was over a throw in on the halfway line at 0-0.

He'd been a bit of a nightmare during the game and I felt him being out of it for the rest (full second half at least) was better than 10 minutes because it wasn't the first time he'd played up.
That's a little bit "cart leading the horse" thinking - you wanted him off, so selected the offence that generated that result. What we should be doing is determining which offence his actions best fit and then apply the sanction that goes with that.

From the description, I think if you're being honest, you would have struggled to determine that AAA is a better fit than dissent. Maybe a 10 minute sit-down would have had the desired effect? Or maybe he would have come back on, you can keep him on the shortest possible leash and he'll be off 5 minutes after his return for another bit of petulance that gets a second yellow or sin bin. Either way - you win, and you do it via the correct initial decision.

Sent a player off a couple of weeks ago for this very thing. 20th minute, ball ricocheted off a few players and out for a throw in on the halfway line and I had to make a call. I shouted red ball before CAR had a chance to flag but blue player shouted “you cheating t**t””. Took his name and red carded him.
I was talking to a spectator after the game who said he understood my reasons for the red card but I had now set a precedent and had to do that in all my games. I replied that I had set that precedent 20 years ago and have always sent off for it!
4 days later, when I turned up for another game, the blue manager was a spectator and insisted I had over reacted with his player on Saturday; he just couldn’t/wouldn’t accept that calling the ref a cheat is unacceptable.
This was over a throw in on the halfway line at 0-0.
It's my belief (and I've posted something similar before) that the majority of players at grassroots level are just completely unaware of the concept of OFFINABUS. They all seem to think that any language or gestures towards anybody (so long as it's not the referee) is acceptable. It's up to us to educate them. They may well be children or adults but we are not school teachers so the way to do this (IMO) is by applying the correct sanction under Law 12 and showing that red card every time. Education achieved. :cool: 👍

That's a little bit "cart leading the horse" thinking - you wanted him off, so selected the offence that generated that result. What we should be doing is determining which offence his actions best fit and then apply the sanction that goes with that.

From the description, I think if you're being honest, you would have struggled to determine that AAA is a better fit than dissent. Maybe a 10 minute sit-down would have had the desired effect? Or maybe he would have come back on, you can keep him on the shortest possible leash and he'll be off 5 minutes after his return for another bit of petulance that gets a second yellow or sin bin. Either way - you win, and you do it via the correct initial decision.
I didn't 'want him off', I would've happily had him on if I felt he wouldn't be likely to put a nasty challenge in, or smack someone, for example. I felt AAA was perfectly acceptable as the attitude he was adopting was aggressive, I didn't feel it was dissent, so opted to give him the second yellow.

My worry with the sin bin was that he may feel I was then 'out to get him', or 'had it in for him', as he was the only one really causing a problem at that point in the game.

I'd do the same again.

So

So your opinion is that tbe words used are not offensive or insulting or abusive? Really?

So
So your opinion is that tbe words used are not offensive or insulting or abusive? Really?
Woah woah, you're totally ignoring the post I quoted in that reply.

I think the situation described by wazztie doesn't contain any insulting or offensive words, in part because we're not told about any specific words used in that temper tantrum. That reply was not directly responding to the post at the top of the thread.

To be clear this is not dig at any responses posted here.

I think any referee who is not sending off the OP player is doing a disservice to the entire referee community. He will be doing it again to another referee. And the message sent out to anyone who hears it or finds out about it later is that you can get away with calling the referee a FC if you don't like his decision. Totally wrong in many levels.

If a referee decides a challenge is not a foul and that player who felt he was fouled calls you a "F****** C***" would you:

A. Show the red card for offinabus?

or

B. Show the yellow card for unsporting behaviour AAA?

or

C. Something else?

What a choice!
Sorry, but what is "AAA"? Thanks.

Reactions: one
Back