A&H

Referee Inactive - How many hats do you wear?

Having completed my reports for this afternoon's game and I sat back in the glow of my slightly reduced sunburn (thanks to you Nivea Factor 30) and considered just how much I'd gotten through in the last 7 days.

Sunday saw me open my 10th season on my local Sunday League. Monday I attended the Respect meeting for referees on a local Junior Football League. Also at the meeting was one of the County's RDOs and he not only talked about the progress made by the league in terms of Respect, but also dangled the tantalising carrot of a new Referee Academy based at one of the County's 3 professional clubs.

It's a similar programme/setup to the one which used to operate at another of the County's professional clubs but was discontinued a couple of years ago. The academy provides a safe environment for the development of players and referees and I wish them every success.

Tuesday I attended a Supply League Assessor's training game. The forms used to report Referee performance are changing for the next marking season and this was an opportunity to practice. There was plenty to note down and the report took a little time to put together.

Wednesday saw me pop on my Sunday League committee head as I needed to complete the registration of the 1,100 or so players who are available to play in our 44 team league. The next two nights saw me sitting up to the wee small hours recording all of the starting line-ups, substitutes (used and unused) and goal scorers for the 31 games which had taken place in the previous 4 days.

On Saturday, I completed the report from Tuesday before heading out to my game at the same venue, but with a different referee. Notes were taken, feedback provided and I headed home for an early night. The early night was necessary as my wife recently purchased her first horse (a life long ambition) and has been up and out at half five every day this week to muck it out and settle it down.

This brings us around to today when I managed to squeeze in a promotion assessment for a referee who is returning to Open Age football after a break managing a local junior football league. The game didn't go to plan, but he did quite well in the circumstances. I finished my week refereeing my first junior football game for a long, long time.

The game passed without major incident and as mentioned above, the sunburn isn't too bad. the only thing is that I've had two spasms of cramp in my left hamstring which hasn't been exactly pleasant ... and that's after a full warm down after today's game!

The week will consist of a few more match reports, the writing up of the assessments from yesterday and today, as well as a trip to South Yorkshire for another Supply League assessment. It WILL be quieter soon but still it will be another week of many hats.
1430959096615306100-1938993932963209974

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back