A&H

Referee Inactive - Looks good, feels good

One of the attributes of a good referee, according to spectators and players is "to let the game flow" a statement which ignores the referee's responsibility to enforce the laws but also gives the referee scope to employ the advantage clause.

There is rarely an opportunity for the referee to take pleasure from his decision making in a game, after all there's no joy in awarding a corner kick or indicating the direction of a throw-in or despite what some coaches think, taking disciplinary action. There is however a really satisfying feeling from seeing an offence, identifying that it has occurred, but recognising that there is an opportunity for the team offended against to continue their attack and if things go really well, scoring a goal while the shout of "Play on - advantage" is still ringing around the field/ground/stadium and the referee still has his arms stuck out in front of him.

In those situations where a goal is scored, little needs to be said to the offender as his own team will probably have words with him, the scoring team thinks you are the best thing since sliced bread and you will probably get at least one player who thanks you. Before we get excited about being the most popular referee in the world (until your next disputed throw-in on the halfway line), it is important that we break this situation down into a number of areas ... and it's not the usual ball, players, infringement, action considerations I've referred to in previous posts but they are close.

The first factor to consider is the seriousness of the offence. I would never ever consider playing advantage if I am considering sending the offender off UNLESS, the player in possession or his team mate has a very, very obvious goal scoring opportunity. Even if I am considering cautioning for the offence, the opportunity to progress has to be good.

The second factor I consider is the tempo of the game. Everyone loves a good old fashioned "blood and thunder" cup game where the tackles are hard but fair and the players are making genuine attempts to play the ball. In these games, the opportunity to play advantage may arise and will be welcomed by the players. In a game where the players are tetchy and it's already been necessary to issue a couple of cautions for reckless tackles, then the chances of my playing advantage are reduced.

These two factors are considered against the possible effect on my match control. If I play advantage on an offence where a caution may be issued or the tempo is high, then there's always a possibility that the player offended against may decide to mete out his own punishment and take revenge before I can go back and talk to the offender. Also, even though I can rattle the windows of nearby houses when I shout, "Play on - advantage", there will always be at least one player who will complain that I haven't given the free kick and again may decide to seek revenge on his team mate's behalf.

The third factor I will consider is the field position where the offence takes place. I work on the basis of a set of traffic lights. In the defensive third, the opportunities available to the player/team offended against are limited because they are so far from the goal they are attacking and they may have many more defending players to negotiate, so the light is red. At the red light, it's time to stop and award the free kick.

In the middle third of the field, although the team offended against are now a lot closer to goal, they still have some distance to travel and again probably a few defenders still to beat, so the light is amber. The problem with an amber light is that there is a temptation to try to beat the lights and as a result, play advantage when it's not really there. This can result in having to bring the game back, which can sometimes look untidy but by telling the players there was no advantage coming, their responses can be managed more effectively.

In the attacking third of the field, the proximity to goal and the reduced number of defenders means the light is green, well greener than it was if the offence had taken place in the defensive third. So we're almost on to the final factor ...

It's all very well, shouting and waving the arms in the approved manner but if the player in possession of the ball (and it might not necessarily be the player offended against) is being closed down by a player from the offending team, then the advantage isn't there. Another consideration is the skill level of the player and that can be influenced by their age and indicated by their previous demonstrations of skill in the game.

So a younger (junior) player might expect the free kick rather than having the referee shouting and waving his arms. If the player has already gone on a number of mazy runs, leaving opposing players trailing in his wake or has scored a hat trick, then he might appreciate the opportunity to use these skills rather than have to start again from a free kick.

The final factor I consider is the time elapsed in the game. I tend to keep the game tight for the first 10 minutes, so unless it is a really good opportunity, I am giving the free kick and not trying to win players over by displaying my ability to keep the game moving in that time. I need that time to assess how the players are behaving and whether I'm likely to need to keep a tight rein on things or let them ease off.

So to summarise, in a split second, I look at
  • the seriousness of the offence
  • the tempo of the game
  • the field position
  • the skill factor
  • the time elapsed
and all this takes place while dealing with the usual things when an offence takes place such as screening out player appeals and trying to make sure I'm in a credible position. Who says referees are robotic in managing games of football???

My season on the green stuff was temporarily resurrected yesterday as I filled in for an injured colleague who had been appointed as a 4th official to the local Sunday League Cup semi final. The game passed off without any major events and the only downside was getting soaked as the heavens opened in the 2nd half.

The weather has also put paid to my Supply League assessment tonight as heavy rain meant the field was waterlogged. I still have Wenesday's Supply assessment to look forward to and a junior cup final to watch on Thursday. At this point, I have a rare Saturday off before starting a new Basic Course on Sunday with 20 or more new referees beginning their refereeing careers. Hope we have fun (and dry weather).
1430959096615306100-1883141049450067041

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Back