A&H

Referee Kit History website

RefIADad

RefChat Addict
Our discussion of the new Adidas and Nike referee kits jogged my memory to put the new Referee Kit History website on here. Nothing earth-shaking about this site, just a fun little "rabbit hole" site for those of us who like this stuff.

For me, my two favorite World Cup kits are the 2006 version (I've always been partial to dark gray as a base color instead of black for some reason) and the 2002 kits (simple, classy, clean). The 2015-16 Champions League kit is also a favorite, as are the orange Nike shirts and socks (no, definitely not the matching shorts!! :D) that the Eredivisie and French referees have worn.

The Referee Store
Our discussion of the new Adidas and Nike referee kits jogged my memory to put the new Referee Kit History website on here. Nothing earth-shaking about this site, just a fun little "rabbit hole" site for those of us who like this stuff.

For me, my two favorite World Cup kits are the 2006 version (I've always been partial to dark gray as a base color instead of black for some reason) and the 2002 kits (simple, classy, clean). The 2015-16 Champions League kit is also a favorite, as are the orange Nike shirts and socks (no, definitely not the matching shorts!! :D) that the Eredivisie and French referees have worn.
Its funny when you see the videos of world cup matches from early 20th century as the Goal keepers don't have gloves or the shoes they are wearing are like shoes with sharp metal attached to bottom and then the ref kit is fairly interesting as all have to wear short sleeve shirts no long sleeve or jackets or gloves allowed. It just makes you think we are lucky with what we are allowed to wear.

Best I can describe this is "modern history" (and there's an oxymoron for you).

When I hear football/referring and history in the same sentence I think 19th and early 20th century.

Its funny when you see the videos of world cup matches from early 20th century as the Goal keepers don't have gloves or the shoes they are wearing are like shoes with sharp metal attached to bottom and then the ref kit is fairly interesting as all have to wear short sleeve shirts no long sleeve or jackets or gloves allowed. It just makes you think we are lucky with what we are allowed to wear.
The match officials in the early World Cups (the first was in 1930) wore a blazer, and usually a tie with their long sleeved shirts.
As the offside law differed between countries, the officials had rwo short meetings to sort out some semblance of an orderly approach.
13 countries entered (Qatar not among them) and one of two Belgians refereed the final.
Times have changed.

Best I can describe this is "modern history" (and there's an oxymoron for you).

When I hear football/referring and history in the same sentence I think 19th and early 20th century.
This.

When I saw "Referee Kit History" I was expecting (and hoping) to see illustrations of referees' outfits from the late 1800’s/early 1900's onwards.

Imagine my disappointment to find a "history" of only the last ten years or thereabouts.

Reactions: one
This.

When I saw "Referee Kit History" I was expecting (and hoping) to see illustrations of referees' outfits from the late 1800’s/early 1900's onwards.

Imagine my disappointment to find a "history" of only the last ten years or thereabouts.
From what I understand about the site on the “About” page, the creator is working backward to find photos that he can digitally render. These 19th and early 20th century photos definitely should have their own place in a site like this.

Given there was a stretch of time where the only history of kits was that they were black (so basically the time between referees moving away from formal wear and 1992 when the Premier League introduced its teal shirt), it makes sense to me to work backward.

Last edited:
Back