A&H

Referee overuling GLT

es1

RefChat Addict
I'm watching the Europa league goals show on mute on my phone...but...I think I've just seen a ref give a goal using GLT then overule it once VAR asked ref to review, because they felt it hadn't crossed the line. Goal wasn't given...GLT graphic shows goal...Good job its not an important goal but still...bizarre stuff

The Referee Store
I think the implication there is that the GLT got it wrong and VAR was right to overrule, but I doubt we'll get a straight answer for weeks. It took ages after the Sheff U incident for then to run tests and determine the actual answer.

Why? If the right decision was reached, who cares how crucial a goal this is?

Why? If the right decision was reached, who cares how crucial a goal this is?
just from a visual point of view, GLT failing is an awful look.

and the onfield/in match reaction from players/fans etc would have been awful it the game had been closer

It's also an awful look when VAR does something wrong. Or when the comms fail and referees have to spend 10 minutes faffing with their receivers. Ditto when a ref/AR goes down and it all has to be switched over. Or on more banal things like crossed flags.

Things happen and officials have to manage them as best they can - nothing different here outside of some people having a weird agenda against tech in football.

This is the first time anything like this has happened that I know of? I can understand how a goal isn't given by glt due to obstructions, I can't understand how a goal can be given when it hasn't gone in...

Be nice to hear something official

Back