A&H

Refereeing abroad

agolding25

Afternoon all,

I was looking into refereeing a couple of youth competitions abroad next summer for some extra experience. Has anyone on here ever done it? If so what was the experience like? Ive found a company online that cover the flights, accomodation and food which I thought was good.

Thanks

A&H International
Afternoon all,

I was looking into refereeing a couple of youth competitions abroad next summer for some extra experience. Has anyone on here ever done it? If so what was the experience like? Ive found a company online that cover the flights, accomodation and food which I thought was good.

Thanks
Good idea to talk to the County FA RDO as they will be aware of opportunities - my county organises visits every year.

Cheers,
I have heard about referee abroad it is just a shame that for referee abroad you have to pay for flights and accommodation, and get no fees I don't think. I may be wrong though.

Cheers,
I have heard about referee abroad it is just a shame that for referee abroad you have to pay for flights and accommodation, and get no fees I don't think. I may be wrong though.
Competitions vary in respect of accommodation, food, etc.
Check with your RDO whether the CFA may assist with some of the costs.

Last edited:
Referee Abroad - I have attended two tournaments and well attend again this year.

I believe they started ten years ago. The two main founders are great guys. Questions on email or FB will be answered quickly.

It’s not free or paid! The pricing of the tournaments varies. Usually there are cheap accommodation options.

Treat it like an extreme sports holiday - not a paid work trip - then it feels cheap!

I went to Iber cup Barcelona and Cascais and will go back this year to Cascais - multi venue, hardcore, lots of matches. Last time Bobby Madley was special guest, we had a great Champo AR mentor and about 60 referees from around the world. I got to flag Real u16s in front of a thousand people and learnt loads.

I can’t recommend it enough. It is a great learn experience, a great test - and it is both fiercely competitive and constructive.

I’m gonna bump this. Give the gift that keeps on giving… https://www.refereeabroad.com/

Huge amount of tournaments there. If you need help to understand the level then email them.

2018 I went to Iber Cup Barcelona - great seaside accom down the coast, all games at one complex, mid-level teams so well suited to less experienced referees and e.g. those looking to make it a bit of a holiday.

2019 Iber Cup Cascais - I had heard a lot about this and wasn’t disappointed. Lots of name youth teams, more pressure, very competitive. Matches all over town so also a logisitical challenge. Basically an extreme sports trip - with a whistle.

They also have elite comps for their own “academy”.

I just paid up for Cascais week before Easter and am already excited! Roger East is the special guest.

I’m gonna bump this. Give the gift that keeps on giving… https://www.refereeabroad.com/

Huge amount of tournaments there. If you need help to understand the level then email them.

2018 I went to Iber Cup Barcelona - great seaside accom down the coast, all games at one complex, mid-level teams so well suited to less experienced referees and e.g. those looking to make it a bit of a holiday.

2019 Iber Cup Cascais - I had heard a lot about this and wasn’t disappointed. Lots of name youth teams, more pressure, very competitive. Matches all over town so also a logisitical challenge. Basically an extreme sports trip - with a whistle.

They also have elite comps for their own “academy”.

I just paid up for Cascais week before Easter and am already excited! Roger East is the special guest.
Ive applied to go for that too. Waiting to hear back.

I probably got a quick accept as I have bern before and was all signed up for 2020 before the Pandy struck.

Good luck. Hope to see you there!
I’ll be the tall guy assisting on the u14 final - I wish!!!
It’ll be a great experience! I can’t wait for it. They said there’s a chance to use comms kits so I am buzzing about that if I get to sue some!

Haven't been to them as a referee, only as a coach but my favourite international youth football tournaments were always the Scandinavian trio of Gothia, Dana and Norway Cups. As far as I'm aware they all provide accommodation, not sure about fees.

They're normally played in consecutive weeks and are relatively close together geographically so if you're a glutton for punishment you could possibly do them all (we used to sometimes compete in all three).

I think you'd need to be super-fit to do more than one though, there are a lot of games involved.

Here are the links for the three of them:

Dana Cup referees

Gothia Cup referees

Norway Cup referees

My personal favourite of the three was the Dana Cup - it's a smaller and more relaxed event with only 800 or so teams as compared to 1500+ at the Gothia and Norway Cups.

Haven't been to them as a referee, only as a coach but my favourite international youth football tournaments were always the Scandinavian trio of Gothia, Dana and Norway Cups. As far as I'm aware they all provide accommodation, not sure about fees.

They're normally played in consecutive weeks and are relatively close together geographically so if you're a glutton for punishment you could possibly do them all (we used to sometimes compete in all three).

I think you'd need to be super-fit to do more than one though, there are a lot of games involved.

Here are the links for the three of them:

Dana Cup referees

Gothia Cup referees

Norway Cup referees

My personal favourite of the three was the Dana Cup - it's a smaller and more relaxed event with only 800 or so teams as compared to 1500+ at the Gothia and Norway Cups.
For the Norway Cup the referees stay in school accommodation, in most recent years all the British referees were together in the KFUM-Hallen. Camp beds and meals are provided and fees are paid, you need to pay for your travel and bring a sleeping bag. You get a wristband that gives you free travel on all public transport within Oslo.

Bear in mind with Norway - the cost of everyday stuff (such as food and drink off site) etc. is quite expensive - so you'd need to have a "warchest" of funds.

I had done a couple of the tournaments down in the Barcelona area years ago (Copa Catalunya) - but went directly via the organisers Komm-mitt (and not Referee Abroad) - there we got accommodation in a local hotel and a little cash in return iirc.

Bear in mind with Norway - the cost of everyday stuff (such as food and drink off site) etc. is quite expensive - so you'd need to have a "warchest" of funds.
The cost of living in Norway is relatively high but based on my experience, the way things are structured at the tournament, with free food, accommodation and transport provided, you wouldn't actually need to spend much money (if any) if you really didn't want to.

It's a fairly hectic schedule for the teams and I think just as much so for referees - so I don't think there'd be that much time left for "extra-curricular activities" so to speak.

When I was there as a coach, I don't recall needing to spend that much money at all. I would usually but some duty-free booze on the ferry over from Denmark (you could buy it in the airport if flying) and we just used to gather with other coaches for drinks in our accommodation in the evenings if we felt like it.

The only time we ate outside the tournament dining facilities was when we had our traditional team meal on the last night before departure. I don't think we spent a fortune on it either.

The Referee Abroad Facebook stuff is worth a look. The organizers have been posting pics of a recent Cancun tournament with very nice referee accommodation to say the least.

The cost of living in Norway is relatively high but based on my experience, the way things are structured at the tournament, with free food, accommodation and transport provided, you wouldn't actually need to spend much money (if any) if you really didn't want to.

It's a fairly hectic schedule for the teams and I think just as much so for referees - so I don't think there'd be that much time left for "extra-curricular activities" so to speak.

When I was there as a coach, I don't recall needing to spend that much money at all. I would usually but some duty-free booze on the ferry over from Denmark (you could buy it in the airport if flying) and we just used to gather with other coaches for drinks in our accommodation in the evenings if we felt like it.

The only time we ate outside the tournament dining facilities was when we had our traditional team meal on the last night before departure. I don't think we spent a fortune on it either.
I should have caveated - I’ve worked in the Tournament Office at the Norway Cup each year since 1999 (also refereed there at a few editions).

The British referees out there find plenty of time for extra-curricular activities: work hard play hard 😂

Amount of money needed depends on each person. I'm absolutely fine with the food served up, even if it is a bit like going back to school dinners (haven't been in prison so can't compare), but a lot of the British referees aren't and regularly have take away, and you aren't getting change from £20 for a pizza or kebab. And I'm fine just drinking water, never really been a pop type person, but those that are will be looking £3 to £4 for a 500ml bottle of coke / fanta / sprite, etc.

Those wanting alcohol in the evenings need to know where to go. There are places where you will easily pay £12 for a pint, but there are others around £7 to £8, so not a huge amount of difference to London prices.

Back