A&H

Refs can be mean...

The Referee Store
Argh the animated gif of me chasing the confrontation around the pitch with benny hill music hasn't uploaded 😫
Would’ve been a sight.

The Jeremy Kyle styled fight from the stands was quite good.

• Haha
Reactions: es1
i still can't believe the players who were kicked and punched didn't get themselves into trouble by reacting

i still can't believe the players who were kicked and punched didn't get themselves into trouble by reacting
Yes, it could certainly have been much worse if more players were escalating it.
It is absolutely no excuse for the initial or ongoing retaliation of course (and I have no idea what may have happened in the rest of the game to lead up to it), but the player who was kicked (at 10:40) appeared to be the instigator of the whole incident with a post-game shove (at 10:36) on the main perpetrator, so perhaps it was initially a deliberate attempt by him to provoke a reaction, followed by an attempt to appear innocent (or maybe more likely a degree of shock at the level of reaction he had provoked).

yes, i suspect you're right about all of that. unfortunately missed the initial spark, it all came pretty much out of the blue and was totally out of keeping with the rest of the game which was played in a good spirit

A 'friend' of mine put this together after my game last week! Did amuse me (and the group watsapp chat)!

Full match video here with the confrontation in full (10:30), nice way to end my last step 5 game before dropping back to 5!

What was your thinking with stepping back to L5?
Recall you mentioning the intention before

several reasons, but spending more time at home with a 5 and 2 year old the main one!
Well L4 is a frustrating place
My season - First 5 games observed (all in 2022) average 72.81 (8/49) (No end-of-season appointments as I've done my 10 games 😒)
Last 5 games (all in 2023) no observations
Hence no benefit to me of having dual-running seasons. I'll be saying to Mr O Coordinator, 'if i get off to a good start next season, don't do the same thing again because I want my observations to span the dual seasons'

I won't get promoted on account of Club Marks. Got hammered by Home Club Secretary last night for awarding this PK. Just can't win.... we all face the same frustrating predicament

club marks are ludicrous...still waiting for my marks from the above game (8 days) and awaiting some from a game in January as well. when they do come I'd bet they're marked as average down the board which = 70 (and a poor mark). always the same...

oh I'll let them off, they have appeared, 80's from both!

club marks are ludicrous...still waiting for my marks from the above game (8 days) and awaiting some from a game in January as well. when they do come I'd bet they're marked as average down the board which = 70 (and a poor mark). always the same...
Need a run of games that aren't decided by KMD's to bump the club marks up.... which is exactly what you don't want when observed
Out of my 10 games, I had one poor showing at Hoddesden (although still scored 72.4) a good few months back. Otherwise, I've been solid all year

The games are fairly demanding physically. I'm 48 and 15s7lb. Am fit enough right now, but that's not gonna be easy to maintain going forward

Need a run of games that aren't decided by KMD's to bump the club marks up.... which is exactly what you don't want when observed
Out of my 10 games, I had one poor showing at Hoddesden (although still scored 72.4) a good few months back. Otherwise, I've been solid all year

'the system' is something I've had grips/annoyances with many times over the years (my 8th year I think at 4 this) and I just don't see how it can change, or if you do you'll never create a perfect system without every game being observed as well (which obviously won't happen - and it's not like I've full trust in observers either)

I like the fact that club marks are becoming less and less important at 4 (think you need to be in the top 60% now to be considered for promotion, down from 40 and 50 in previous years), certainly a step in the right direction.

Anyway, this is turning into a rant. Have offered up my services to county as a mentor/coach etc and see where we go from there in the future

'the system' is something I've had grips/annoyances with many times over the years (my 8th year I think at 4 this) and I just don't see how it can change, or if you do you'll never create a perfect system without every game being observed as well (which obviously won't happen - and it's not like I've full trust in observers either)

I like the fact that club marks are becoming less and less important at 4 (think you need to be in the top 60% now to be considered for promotion, down from 40 and 50 in previous years), certainly a step in the right direction.

Anyway, this is turning into a rant. Have offered up my services to county as a mentor/coach etc and see where we go from there in the future
They consider performance over multiple seasons for reclassification (demotion). They need to do that for Promotion too
I don't think there's enough movement between Levels. Ends up with a system which involves way too much 'luck' (Not that it matters to me as such, but the amount of luck involved with AR observations is even worse... off the scale at times)

I've detected a lot of dejection from fellow-L4's during this first season at that level
Nowt wrong with a rant BTW.... I'm an expert

They consider performance over multiple seasons for reclassification (demotion). They need to do that for Promotion too
I don't think there's enough movement between Levels. Ends up with a system which involves way too much 'luck'

Don't get me started on luck! I remember going to an L4 meeting and they were talking about what qualities you need to get promoted. I pretty much got laughed at by the facilitators when I suggested luck was a huge part of it.

I can refer back to my first observation this season (which I vented about at some length on here) where I got an incredibly low mark in a game where the observer though I'd done well with 2 x KMI and 4 cautions. Another observer (or no observer at all) and my annual situation may well have been different...

Demotion very rarely happens, doesn't it? Not self demotion which I'm doing anyway?

My season - First 5 games observed (all in 2022) average 72.81 (8/49) (No end-of-season appointments as I've done my 10 games 😒)
Hence no benefit to me of having dual-running seasons. I'll be saying to Mr O Coordinator, 'if i get off to a good start next season, don't do the same thing again because I want my observations to span the dual seasons'

I won't get promoted on account of Club Marks. Got hammered by Home Club Secretary last night for awarding this PK. Just can't win.... we all face the same frustrating predicament

So annoying. Looks a stonewaller from here.

You'll find now as an established L4 you'll get spanned. They tend to concentrate on newbies on first season and pick up experienced around that. To of had none though is strange and you'll need 5 to be considered for mid season as it is the whole year

It’s always all about you!!!!

(Don’t get me started on luck. Blew my whole career prospects by losing it my only video review, observed by the national ref chief. If I’d had any idea how pivotal it would turn out… argh)

• Sad
Reactions: es1
Don't get me started on luck! I remember going to an L4 meeting and they were talking about what qualities you need to get promoted. I pretty much got laughed at by the facilitators when I suggested luck was a huge part of it.
Those who have succeeded at something typically discount the impact of luck as they want their success to be solely about ability; those who have not succeeded typically emphasize the impact of luck. That's just being human.

The reality is that luck plays a factor in all careers and pretty much all aspects of life. When I step back to look at my professional career, I can see many places where both good and bad luck have had a significant impact on my path. Shrug. That's just the nature of life.

Those who have succeeded at something typically discount the impact of luck as they want their success to be solely about ability; those who have not succeeded typically emphasize the impact of luck. That's just being human.

The reality is that luck plays a factor in all careers and pretty much all aspects of life. When I step back to look at my professional career, I can see many places where both good and bad luck have had a significant impact on my path. Shrug. That's just the nature of life.

of course you're right, the cream tends to rise...

i don't think I've ever deserved to go up but could have made it with a bit (lot) more luck in certain situations!

Looking back at it, do you still think is a pen? Player got up so quick after the whistle...

Looking back at it, do you still think is a pen? Player got up so quick after the whistle...
Yes, I was sufficiently certain at the time, not least because the contact was audible. I was more than satisfied on seeing it from this different angle. Only reason a doubt crept in was because the Secretary was very dissatisfied with the decision. Just a blinkered viewpoint - nothing new.
Positioning was spot on (by luck or by crook). I don't think it was a stonewaller personally, but more than supportable IMO
BTW, I'd already (earlier) cautioned the same player (that went down) for simulation (cheating). I happen to love cautions for simulation

Last edited:
Back