A&H

Removing old FAMOA decals

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Morning Chaps/Chapettes,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to remove the old FAMOA decals off shirts? I bought new kits/trainingwear at the end of last season before the surprise, and want to remove the FAMOA badge and replace with the new one for WNL - as I usually change my shirt at 1/2 time in matches so always take 2 with me.

Anyone done it before/have a clue what to do? As I am currently on a health kick, I don't want to spend money on a new shirt yet, as it will (hopefully) be obsolete in a couple of months!

The Referee Store
Morning Chaps/Chapettes,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to remove the old FAMOA decals off shirts? I bought new kits/trainingwear at the end of last season before the surprise, and want to remove the FAMOA badge and replace with the new one for WNL - as I usually change my shirt at 1/2 time in matches so always take 2 with me.

Anyone done it before/have a clue what to do? As I am currently on a health kick, I don't want to spend money on a new shirt yet, as it will (hopefully) be obsolete in a couple of months!

I used a hot iron - (much like you would to put it on) to heat it up and then gently prize it away with a knife or similar. Came out okay.

Ref stop are selling a black decal patch to put over the top of it ….

I used a hot iron - (much like you would to put it on) to heat it up and then gently prize it away with a knife or similar. Came out okay.

Ref stop are selling a black decal patch to put over the top of it ….
How did it come out in the end? If new badge going over, surely it won't be an issue?

Not sure how the black decal patch will look - recon it could look a bit naff....

It’s come out okay .. on my new shirt I just did the ‘referee’ bit and I will stick my county badge over the top. It does leave a faint outline where the glue was but I’m sure that will go after a few washes. My county badge completely covers the badge bit of the FAMOA so it doesn’t really matter what that bit looks like

So heat on hottest inside out, and then use some tweezers to bully it off? (I may just go to a clothing alteration place and ask them to do it!)

Yes - I went balls out and did it straight on it not inside out - then prize it away once you have melted the glue. Have you got an old shirt to try it on first?

I took one off using a combo of heat and picking and alcohol.

Before anyone comments it wasn't using an iron whilst holding a g&t! The alcohol loosens the glue, but it wasn't a particulary quick solution. If you don't have any alcohol then a gernwrous squirt of deodorant works. White spirit ain't the thing though.

I’ve actually found a bloke near me who does graphics on shirts and said he will be able to do it.

The shirts/tracksuits were brand new, pretty much. So not buying new ones.

How did it come out in the end? If new badge going over, surely it won't be an issue?

Not sure how the black decal patch will look - recon it could look a bit naff....

the black patch over the top and then county badge on top looks awful IMO (well it does on mine!)

I'm going to test this on some of my old college soccer shirts. Our college governing organization has moved to a standard uniform after a couple of years of the two different assigning organizations having unique uniforms (please don't ask - we do some dumb things on this side of the Atlantic :) ). I just tried to place a standard Velcro patch over the nylon heat-press logo, as several of us are going to keep some of our old uniforms to work high school matches (Our high school governing organizations only want us to wear the same color and style of kits - they don't care what the uniform is. Again, don't ask.). Unfortunately, the heat-press logo is larger than the Velcro patch. So I want to remove the heat-press logos off of these shirts so I can put a patch held by Velcro. We do this because we wear different patches for boys and girls high school matches (yep, don't ask :D ).

Last edited:
For what it’s worth .. every single picture of a referee I have seen recently under a level 4 .. they have all been wearing FAMOA badge in their games without fail 😂

I used this company who removed old DECALs and put new ones on for me (meaning my kits from last season can last forever now!). He was great, did it within a few hours and would be happy to do more.

This meant that I didn't burn the house down/set clothes on fire/melt the badges. Result.

Back