A&H

Rubber Studs in Ears

Justylove

RefChat Addict
I had a game today where a player had very large earlobes, due to wearing the type of earring that you gradually increase in size so you effectively stretch the lobes.

He had removed his earrings to play, however had them "bunged" with rubber fillers. He told me that they were specific to sports and were actually safer than having the holes in his lobes dangling free (even if taped).

To put it into perspective, had he gone to the floor it would not have been impossible for a stud to have got caught in the hole and done some serious damage, so I let him play with these rubber bungs in his ear.

Right call or not?

The Referee Store
Not an ideal situation but it sounds like you made the right call. A bit of rubber isn't dangerous in my opinion.

That is a very interesting situation, it's not a piercing as such and not jewellery. And he was right, a dangling ear lobe would more be dangerous.

Sounds like you applied law 18 to me. Would like to see further guidance from above on it though.

It is perfectly allowed. Ricardo Fuller has to wear rubber "ear-rings" when he plays too. Correct decision.

Honestly @Supermonkey I got home yesterday evening and thought 'why the f*** did I ever become a ref?" Was a really niggly game and from about 60 minutes in I couldn't wait for the final whistle.

Today, however has brought a little more perspective, and I've gone from thinking 'I hope I never have to ref either side again' to ' I've got a fair idea of how I would handle the game differently next time'

@Justylove you will get something out of every game whether it is potentially a different way to managing players or you had a really good game and want to highlight what you did well.

I feel that self reflection is a good way to see where you are currently and what you may need to do to improve your game. Please feel free to ask us anything that you are unsure about someone will know the answer.

Don't forget to join your local Referee's Association (RA) for more advice face to face.

Good luck with the rest of your season.

@Justylove I wasn't mocking you above, it was meant as a light hearted comment. I have now of course read your story of the weekend elsewhere on the forum which paints your OP above in a slightly different light.

If it helps, we all have them. I had one earlier this season out of the blue (documented elsewhere). Was reffing much better than I have ever reffed (make of that what you will! In my own mind it was true!) and it still happened. Stick at it mate and as Dave states, join your local RA

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to join the local RA. Also I have had some great support from a couple of experienced refs who I've spent some time talking to and have given me some really good perspective.

Already looking forward to my next game, whenever that may be!

Back