A&H

Running the line Sunday

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date

That's very common. Referees either get demoted back to level 5 and then get promoted again, or quit back to L5 for personal or work reasons and then go for promotion again after their circumstances change.

It's now easier to do after demotion, as from this year those removed can apply straight away for promotion. Previous they had to serve a full season at L5 before being allowed to apply for promotion, so they spent at least two years away from L4.

The Referee Store
If anyone would care to explain or point me in the right direction of how the promotion system works what you have to do what’s required and basically the low down of how it works I would really appreciate it.

Once qualified do u start at level 7?

If anyone would care to explain or point me in the right direction of how the promotion system works what you have to do what’s required and basically the low down of how it works I would really appreciate it.

Pass the exam in first instance which qualifies you at level 7. Then referee for at least a year before applying for promotion

Pass the exam in first instance which qualifies you at level 7. Then referee for at least a year before applying for promotion

Is there a window for promotion each year when u have to apply?

Is it as simple as refereeing a year at each level to then be in a position to apply for promo each year?

How do you apply do you contact your local fa do you have to sit an exam for each level, are you assessed over a period of games do you have to pay?

How do you progress from grass roots is there not much difference in say level 4-7?

You start at L7. Promotion to L6 then requires you to referee at least 20 games and you will be observed on some of these. Similar applies to 6-5. It is also possible to go from 7-5 in the same season, essentially this divides the promotion season into two periods of 1st March to 30th September and 1st October and 28th / 29th February, and the 20 game requirement exists in both of these. All promotions up to and including L5 are dealt with by county FAs.

For promotion from 5 to 4 the CFA carry out the observations but the FA set the criteria and ultimate make the decision. For a candidate to be nominated they must have averaged at least 73 in technical observations over at least 5 games. If they have only had 3 or 4 observations they must also be in the top 50% of the club mark merit table on their main league(s). They must have refereed at least 20 games and assisted on at least 10, with as many as those 10 as possible being on a supply league.

To be nominated candidates need to have passed a fitness test, which is running at least 2,600m in 12 minutes followed by two 50m sprints each in under 7.5 seconds. If nominated and accepted they have to pass this fitness test again in June or July prior to the season commencing, and also have to attend an FA seminar at which they must pass a laws of the game exam.

You start at L7. Promotion to L6 then requires you to referee at least 20 games and you will be observed on some of these. Similar applies to 6-5. It is also possible to go from 7-5 in the same season, essentially this divides the promotion season into two periods of 1st March to 30th September and 1st October and 28th / 29th February, and the 20 game requirement exists in both of these. All promotions up to and including L5 are dealt with by county FAs.

For promotion from 5 to 4 the CFA carry out the observations but the FA set the criteria and ultimate make the decision. For a candidate to be nominated they must have averaged at least 73 in technical observations over at least 5 games. If they have only had 3 or 4 observations they must also be in the top 50% of the club mark merit table on their main league(s). They must have refereed at least 20 games and assisted on at least 10, with as many as those 10 as possible being on a supply league.

To be nominated candidates need to have passed a fitness test, which is running at least 2,600m in 12 minutes followed by two 50m sprints each in under 7.5 seconds. If nominated and accepted they have to pass this fitness test again in June or July prior to the season commencing, and also have to attend an FA seminar at which they must pass a laws of the game exam.

Thanks for that much appreciated, what are club marks? Is that what league clubs that you ref score u after every game?

Is there a window for promotion each year when u have to apply?

Is it as simple as refereeing a year at each level to then be in a position to apply for promo each year?

How do you apply do you contact your local fa do you have to sit an exam for each level, are you assessed over a period of games do you have to pay?

How do you progress from grass roots is there not much difference in say level 4-7?

Promotion season runs 1st March to 28th / 29th February. Your CFA will set a deadline for application, in London this is the end of January but I know some counties set a later deadline. You will be observed, ideally at least three times, and will get a grade of well below standard / below standard / standard expected / above standard / well above standard. It is generally expected that you need to average standard expected to get promoted.

There is a massive difference from 7 to 4. At L4 you will be refereeing on supply league football and assisting on contributory league football, so will be dealing with semi-professional players. All games have to be in enclosed grounds and will have paying spectators. As I said earlier in this thread, a L4 will do far more lines than middles, often as big a ration as 5,6 or 7 to 1. That changes if you are promoted to L3, where you tend to get many more middles than lines.

Also what entitlement do you have of say being a level 6 over a level 7 or say a level 5 over a level 6 & so on.

I’ll always call it the Ryman league I do appologise I loose track of all the names it’s had lately, so say Ryman south or north what level of ref is that?

Please ignore above you answered that, so level 7-4 is no real difference in standard of football.

Please ignore above you answered that, so level 7-4 is no real difference in standard of football.

It depends on the leagues I guess. But I would imagine most supply league teams play better standard of football than a team playing in doc 5 of the dog and duck League.

How does demotion work?

Surely if your a level 5 ref then your a level 5 ref for life until you go for promotion.

How does demotion work?

Surely if your a level 5 ref then your a level 5 ref for life until you go for promotion.

Level 4 and above you can get demoted if you fail to maintain certain marks/gradings, such as failing the fitness test etc.

But I believe you get a “free” season when first promoted, so you wouldn’t get demoted after your first season at level 4.

A lot more to it than I realised I think i need to have a nice full season starting in the summer & see where it takes me mentally and how well I think I’m progressing.

MIB, you need to get qualified first. Secondly, in the absence of club marks which excel, you need to get used to mundane appointments for at least a year. It's a slow process for a good reason. Worry about Supply Leagues when you can pass the exam and show patience with your referee's secretary over an extended period of time whilst demonstrating you're cut from the right cloth

MIB, you need to get qualified first. Secondly, in the absence of club marks which excel, you need to get used to mundane appointments for at least a year. It's a slow process for a good reason. Worry about Supply Leagues when you can pass the exam and show patience with your referee's secretary over an extended period of time whilst demonstrating you're cut from the right cloth

I’m in no rush, Tbh my laws of the game are so bad I’d be surprised if i passed the exam anyway, I’ll have to get revising.

I’m gonna knuckle down concentrate on my games & only come on here for game advice and scenarios I’ve experienced.

That's not at all correct. Level 7 you are refereeing at parks football, level 4 you are refereeing at step 5 and assisting at steps 4 and 3 (can vary depending on where you are in the county). You mention the Ryman League so I guess you are South East based, so getting a game at somewhere like Dulwich Hamlet or Billiricay Town means a crowd well in excess of 1000. Which is obviously a lot different to a crowd of zero at level 7 in a parks game.

That's not at all correct. Level 7 you are refereeing at parks football, level 4 you are refereeing at step 5 and assisting at steps 4 and 3 (can vary depending on where you are in the county). You mention the Ryman League so I guess you are South East based, so getting a game at somewhere like Dulwich Hamlet or Billiricay Town means a crowd well in excess of 1000. Which is obviously a lot different to a crowd of zero at level 7 in a parks game.

I meant 7-5 sorry

As a level 5, you're technically qualified to be in the middle for the Ryman (Bostik) development league, although in reality those on the 5-4 promotion scheme get first dibs on those. You'll also be senior AR rahter than junior when appointed as AR to those matches, and will also be eligible for middles at higher levels of the county cups, up to and including the big finals.

However yes, your day-to-day refereeing will be fairly similar between L7 and L5, at least until you enter the L5-L4 promotion scheme. However you should be moving up the divisions of your local grassroots league during that time, which will make a difference to the quality of football - when I got used to being in div 1 & 2, then did some last minute cover in div5 recently, you notice the difference!

Back