A&H

Saints or Sinners?

RefJef

RefChat Addict
I’ve did a little analysis of fouls committed v fouls sustained in the World Cup, and you can see the results on my blog:

http://www.amathsteacherwrites.co.uk/saints-or-sinners/

The data has come from the official FIFA site, so should be pretty reliable.

However, one thing that has me a little puzzled is the discrepancy between fouls committed (1734) and fouls sustained (1642). One of my readers has suggested the difference could be offsides being counted as a foul committed, but not sustained, but with the difference being 92,and 64 games having been played, I’m thinking an average of onl6 1.5 offsides per game seems a little low?

Any thoughts ( on the discrepancy, or the general findings)?

A&H International
Could this be technical offences being classed as fouls? Maybe there were 92 handballs - some games seemed to have almost that many on their own!

Remind me, did they count this at all, once or twice?? :poop::poop::poop: Lies......damn lies....... and then there are statistics!!! :redcard:

005d35d136c6cf805dd9673ea5f81d9a.jpeg

Dissent isn't consider a foul. Nor is offside.

Handling is. You can commit handling, but you cannot sustain it.

I’ve did a little analysis of fouls committed v fouls sustained in the World Cup, and you can see the results on my blog:

http://www.amathsteacherwrites.co.uk/saints-or-sinners/

The data has come from the official FIFA site, so should be pretty reliable.

However, one thing that has me a little puzzled is the discrepancy between fouls committed (1734) and fouls sustained (1642). One of my readers has suggested the difference could be offsides being counted as a foul committed, but not sustained, but with the difference being 92,and 64 games having been played, I’m thinking an average of onl6 1.5 offsides per game seems a little low?

Any thoughts ( on the discrepancy, or the general findings)?
Your graph can be a bit misleading as it doesn't take into account the number of games played. Will be interesting to see a similar graph on a fouls per/game basis.

Your graph can be a bit misleading as it doesn't take into account the number of games played. Will be interesting to see a similar graph on a fouls per/game basis.

Already on the case!

Have done the numbers for this and knocked up a quick graph, but am about to go away for a week, so,won’t be publishing it for a while.

Interestingly, on this new graph, Argentina suffered the most fouls per game, yet incurred more yellow cards than any other team in the tournament.

As ever, statistics ask more questions than they answer

Definitely a maths teacher. Check out that shocking grammar in the first sentence of his OP. :rolleyes:;):D
Oops!

In my defence, I wrote the OP on my iPad which, iirc, autocorrected “done” to “down” (probably due to a typo on my part). I spotted “down” and changed it to “did”, without spotting I’d now changed tense and needed to change I’ve to I.

Four out of ten, could do better 😉

Oops!

In my defence, I wrote the OP on my iPad which, iirc, autocorrected “done” to “down” (probably due to a typo on my part). I spotted “down” and changed it to “did”, without spotting I’d now changed tense and needed to change I’ve to I.

Four out of ten, could do better 😉
Those who can, can, those who can't.....teach..... Is that not right then?? :(

Reactions: Kes
Back