A&H

Scotland v Cyprus

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
If anyone watched it today, do you think the sending off of the Cyprus player at the end was needed?
I'm not saying, if the referee deemed it this way, it was not correct, but at 3-0 with less than a minute to go, are you really going to send someone off for kicking the ball away (2nd yellow) when he kicked it probably a second after you've blown for offside? The game definitely didn't need the card.
Thought it was very overzealous of the ref here.

The Referee Store
I have mixed feelings about this. It looks overzealous and unnecessary. But there are many reasons to give this. Last week's ref, showing respect for the game and referee's decision. While this particular game didn't need it, the game of football needed this yellow.

I have mixed feelings about this. It looks overzealous and unnecessary. But there are many reasons to give this. Last week's ref, showing respect for the game and referee's decision. While this particular game didn't need it, the game of football needed this yellow.
I can’t get the clip, but @one ’s post reminds me of a mantra that I sometimes find useful in thinking about whether a card is needed. There are three reasons to give a card this player needs it, this game needs it, or The Game needs it. Imperfect , but I find it useful.

Body language of the player and the distance he blasts it lead me towards a caution there. It’s an angry reaction, crossing into dissent territory.

I wouldn’t be doing him for delaying the restart in this situation, but can comfortably accept it for dissent.

Example that actually happened and think I've posted before

Last minute, attacker (on a yellow) goes down in the penalty area, referee deems it not a penalty and simulation and issues 2nd caution, blows for FT very soon after.

I read a senior referee say you should never do this, because despite whatever has gone on before, all people are going to remember you for is that (unnecessary?) red card

Thoughts?

I think if the way one referees a game is to protect self image, one is doing the game a disservice.

Rest assured this one is not that one.

Having said that if there is wiggle room, find a way that suites your way of thinking. But for something as obvious as the OP, there is not wiggle room.

Back