A&H

Second Cautions

Personally I think there is a bit of a reset after a PI caution, but I'm certainly not telling the player this and making him think that he has a free shot to start fouling people again.

The Referee Store
Yesterday a gk was warned for timewasting - first offence. GK did it again - yellow card. Did it a third time - warned (again).

There's definitely a reluctance to issue second warranted yellows league two and upwards.
Is this not the referee dealing with things in exactly the same way for first and second yellow cards?

First (possible) YC .. initial warning, followed by YC
Second (possible YC) ... initial warning followed by second YC if required

Obviously, hard to comment on the specific scenario you had in mind but just pointing out that you're almost advocating for a lower threshold for the second YC ...

Yes, and my post was intended to be supportive and guide you away from what is potentially really poor advice you've had elsewhere.
Even if you are doing it in your head (I don't agree but for arguments sake), don't tell the player. Asking for trouble if you ask me. 👍🏻
I absolutely took it as you being constructive. Appreciate it too.

Perhaps I’ve been getting this wrong for a long time (gulp) but I’ve tended to reset after a PI caution. All yellows are equal, I thought, so a second yellow for PI would require the same persistent level of infringement, I thought. Are others doing it differently?

Perhaps I’ve been getting this wrong for a long time (gulp) but I’ve tended to reset after a PI caution. All yellows are equal, I thought, so a second yellow for PI would require the same persistent level of infringement, I thought. Are others doing it differently?
I’m going with “it depends.” If I caution a player for PI and on the restart he commits a blatant cheap foul, that for me is PI #2, bye-bye. But if the player has an “honest” foul, I’m not looking at it the same way, and I think passage of time matters as well. It’s art, not science. If it was science the LOTG would read like basketball rules, and we’d just count the fouls up, and that’s that.

Is this not the referee dealing with things in exactly the same way for first and second yellow cards?

First (possible) YC .. initial warning, followed by YC
Second (possible YC) ... initial warning followed by second YC if required

Obviously, hard to comment on the specific scenario you had in mind but just pointing out that you're almost advocating for a lower threshold for the second YC ...
for me once youve had a warning for timewasting you wont get another. its cards all the way.

Back