A&H

Sheff We'd v Derby

The Referee Store
I never knew there were so many fellow Wednesdayites on this forum !

Unfortunately on the slow mo replay it's obviously a dive - less clear in real time, when I was off the settee shouting for a penalty !

For me, I think you could sell yellow or red once it's given - I can see the argument for both and I could see it splitting a review panel

And my point has been entirely vindicated. There was doubt and so your binary view of this incident was wrong
Not that I've got much respect for Dermot Gallagher and the embarrassment of his RefWatch stint, but he categorically dismissed DOGSO on the basis that the GK was close enough to challenge for the ball and that the covering defender ultimately got back to cover the goal line

Thankfully, you weren't observing me, otherwise you'd have finished my season because your view of this incident was binary and mine was not. It's not Dermot's opinion that interests me as such, it's the wrongness associated with the whole incident which gets me
a) The cheating, b) The Ref being duped c) The dismissal which I think was supportable, but I would have gone yellow d) The impact on the season outcome e) The necessity for the scourge of VAR f) The fact that VAR may not have fixed the wrong decision(s) g) The binary view held by Observers on the Forum, so strongly held, it could have finished a Referee's season

None of it is good; except my pointing out that it was not a binary DOGSO - Doubt which can't be doubted given the red card has now been rejected by an ex-EPL R, albeit one I've no time for
Dermot has been wrong before, we've all pretty much agreed on that in the past. I can just about support about the defender back on the line, although as he can't use his hands he is relying on the attacker kicking it straight at him. The keeper being close enough to challenge though is at best spurious, on every one on one the keeper can come out and get close enough to challenge for the ball, but if an attacker is clean through moving towards goal and with the ball at his feet we are going DOGSO every single time.

If I was observing on this it is extremely unlikely I would be going a missed DOGSO (had he gone yellow) with one look at it from over 50m away. And, even if I had doubts, I would have to back the penalty as there is no way I could judge the level of holding. But with video replays I still think it is a clear red card, so if I was a PGMOL observer with that level of access I'd be expecting red. Thankfully for PGMOL match officials I'm not šŸ˜‚

Back