A&H

Shin Pads

Weird, I know the (manufacturing) guidance is to use moulded studs on hard ground and the usual 'screw ins' for wet/soft ground, but I've never had referees try and make it an actual rule!
Nope and I use moulds whatever the weather and never have a problem.....

The Referee Store
I remember it used to have reference to the fact you couldn't have spiked/sharp studs, but I don't remember whether it was in the Laws itself or shovelled back in the glossary at the back.
1975:

Attachments

• F0CBF483-1CBF-4202-93E8-05032609BEEE.jpeg
    F0CBF483-1CBF-4202-93E8-05032609BEEE.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 77F14368-B8DA-44EA-BAE4-BD3913C1B6FB.jpeg
    77F14368-B8DA-44EA-BAE4-BD3913C1B6FB.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
As the laws are written, "reasonable protection" only applies to the material the shinpads are made from, not how much actual protection the pads offer the player. If a player wants to wear some ridiculously small pads that leave the majority of their shin uncovered then on their head be it.

This thread brings to mind being in a sports shop a few years ago where a parent was buying shin pads for her 12-ish year old son. The sales assistant was trying to up-sell a fancy pair of pads on the basis that the more standard and cheaper options "weren't officially approved for real football". I was seriously tempted to get butt in but kept quiet.

Nope and I use moulds whatever the weather and never have a problem.....

And me, unless it is rock hard and I'll wear black running trainers. Haven't worn screw in studs since I was about 19, and never had a problem whether playing or refereeing.

Back