A&H

Should I get experience as an AR?

Gabriel

Hi all,

As a Level Y, there is no requirement for games as an AR yet. I was wondering if people think it is worth actually getting some lines in before moving up to Level 7, where they become a requirement for promotion? I have done a couple of last minute lines previously, but do people think I should arrange them more frequently/open up dates for them when I don't have middles? Thanks in advance.

The Referee Store
It's definitely not a bad idea. Your performance on the line won't affect your chances of promotions, but usually with promotions come cup finals etc, so it's handy to have a bit of experience before doing one of them.

I doubt I'm alone in this, but my first ever occasion on the line was in a cup final. I explained to the referee and I think he was horrified! (Although he was good about it)

Last edited:
It's definitely not a bad idea. Your performance on the line won't affect your chances of promotions, but usually with promotions come cup finals etc, so it's handy to have a bit of experience before doing one of them.

I doubt I'm alone in this, but my first ever occasion on the line was in a cup final. I explained to the referee and I think he was horrified! (Although he was good about it)
That's fair enough. Funnily, my first ever game was a cup semi-final line. I only ended up doing it because all the other match officials caught covid the day before the game. I was asked 2 hours before KO. You're definitely not alone.

I ran a couple of lines before I turned 16 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not too many because you don't tend to have 3 officials on youth games unless on a Cup Semi or Final.

Since I've turned 16, I've done 10 adult lines and continued doing U13s, U14s and U15s on a Sunday. I thought and still think that this is the best way for me to make a transition into adult football.

If you're old enough to do U13s or U14s lines then I'd definitely recommend. If you live near a Cat 1 or Cat 2 Academy, might be worth reaching out to your CFA to see if they have any opportunities there!

The challenge here will be finding games on which to act as an AR. You are not able to partake in o/age football until age 16 or over.

Might be worth contacting rdo to find out who appoints academy games as these are often teams of 3 where you may be able to gain some experience. But usually referees are of similar age and experience so the learning element not as good as perhaps an open age step 6 line.

Hi all,

As a Level Y, there is no requirement for games as an AR yet. I was wondering if people think it is worth actually getting some lines in before moving up to Level 7, where they become a requirement for promotion? I have done a couple of last minute lines previously, but do people think I should arrange them more frequently/open up dates for them when I don't have middles? Thanks in advance.
Yes
Yes
Yes

It’s the only shortcut.
And you might enjoy it (you will;)).
You will get to experience a higher level of football, more experienced (better!) referees, teamwork… and concentration.

Hi all, thanks for the advice. I can only go up to U14's as I am not 16 until the summer. I will, however, see what opportunities are available at that age, and lower if necessary. I am near plenty of Cat 1/Cat 2 acadamies to ask, as I'm based in the West Midlands/South Staffs. Villa, Wolves, West Brom and Birmingham are all options. I'm not too far from Stoke, Leicester, Nottingham Forest or Port Vale either so plenty of options!

A big benefit of running the line is meeting other referees, both for learning best practices and building your support network, it can be a lonely place sometimes!
100% this. I'm a 6-5, and personally I've learnt a lot this season from being an AR to L4s (some now at L3) at Step 5/6 as well as doing Academy games. Lots of little tips and different ways of working, but feel that my own middles have improved as a result.

Well worth it.

I'd definitely recommend getting as much experience as an AR. It also means you can be out with more experienced refs and you can see what works for them (or doesn't work!)

We all have our refereeing styles but it's good to get that AR experience so you can also see how the best referees work with their assistants - which you will need if you have aspirations of climbing the refereeing ladder.

It will always make sense to immerse yourself in as much football refereeing experience as you can, particularly if it's at a level which you aspire to be at in the future. Like @JamesL said, put yourself out there and see what the Development setup can offer you. Fact is, anywhere that more often than not has a reluctant parent or coach running the line will snap you up. Being paid for it might be a problem but the experience will be there for free ...

I was actually appointed to 3 games as AR recently but pulled out of 2 due to minor injuries and have had to pull out of the 3rd, a cup semi this weekend, due to illness. It's all a bit unfortunate at the minute. As soon as I have recovered, I'm going to be taking all the opportunities I get

Back