A&H

Signals

Clang! Sorry Callum you dropped soemething there ;)

Regarding signals, display the ones shown in the LotG. It's not down to personal preference. When you are regularly featuring on MotD or the FLS then you can start displaying "style". Until then use the prescribed signals.

As for the whistle at a goal, if you think about it, the most common reason for blowing the whistle is if there is an infringement. Play stops, players look at you, you have to make a decision, you become the centre of attention for no valid reason. Unless it's a close goal/no goal decision, then just move away and re-position for the kick off while monitoring the interaction between the two teams.
I meant with regards to pointing or using a aplm... Not adopting your own crazy signals... Though wouldnt it be fun to start that?! Pirouette for a penalty anyone??

The Referee Store
An assistant is a referee with a flag instead of a whistle. Have a look at the signals by assistants ;)
So to return to the OP the signal is neither one finger, two fingers nor a flat hand...the referee has to look as if he is holding an imaginary flag?

Last edited:
So to return to the OP the signal is neither one finger, two fingers nor a flat hand...the referee has to look as if he is holding an imaginary flag?
Yes (no not really) using an imaginary flag that is attached to a flat device which is less than one micron long but weighs more than Saturn. The gravitational pull makes sure the arm is at the correct angle.

Using the whole of your hand as opposed to just using 1 or 2 fingers will unconsciously make your signal clearer. Using the whole palm naturally pulls your arm straighter than a pointing gesture.

Birmingham County expect you to give the same direction signal for fouls and free kicks, otherwise, apparently, it can look like you're giving a corner kick in certain positions. The assistant has the same direction for fouls and free kicks so it does make sense.

Signals unless they are disastrously wrong, they are down to personal preference as for example, from bottom levels to top levels, the way penalties are given are totally different around the world, some stand and point with a finger, some run to the penalty spot with their hand pointing down towards the spot, so go with what your comfortable with.

The only time I blow the whistle for a goal, is if its contentious or something needs to be cleared otherwise I don't.

Using the whole of your hand as opposed to just using 1 or 2 fingers will unconsciously make your signal clearer. Using the whole palm naturally pulls your arm straighter than a pointing gesture.
So that is why... I never knew. Just knew that was the preferred way to do it

Thanks for the feedback. I did feel my mentor was a little picky on the signalling and I will continue to use the same signals I do every week. Will be my 4th game this Sunday and I am definitely enjoying it , not made any major errors so far but I know one may not be to far away (hopefully not ! ) but all in all a good start I believe :)

I think I can add this to the list of 'this is what's wrong with refereeing' ...
I remember when I started Futsal, the first thing I was told was the exact manner I have to hold my hand (placement of the thumb across the first) when counting the 4 seconds for the restarts. I cannot emphasise enough just how enthusiastic and excited that person was over this signal. Kind of left me thinking - what's wrong with refereeing? The fact that we seem to spend too much time in education over useless nonsense like this.

2 fingers not a hand - are you kidding me? If I got that from an inspector, particularly if it was as a serious assessment comment, I'd have a hard time buying anything else they said. Though if he's passing on a directive, fair enough - though anybody passing on such a directive has demonstrated they shouldn't have that much power!

Everybody uses the open hand. The only concern I've had expressed is whether the palm is horizontal or vertical, and that's only to prevent an unintentional 'Heil Hitler' type signal

As for the whistling on a goal - when in Rome. I used to referee in an area where this was the norm, so that's what I did. I then refereed in an area where it wasn't the norm, so I didn't.

Back