A&H

Sin Bins - 17/18 Season

The Referee Store
PG- in the U.K. the option they are trialling is B and only for dissent. Hence we all have focused on this element.
OK - I wasn't aware of that. I understand now (and feel a trifle foolish).
So is the 'sin bin' in addition to a caution, or instead of? So if a player was to return to the pitch and do it again, is that a sending off?
Yes, according to the IFAB guidelines, "A player who receives a second temporary dismissal in the same match will serve the temporary dismissal and then takes no further part in the match."

Last edited:
Yes, according to the IFAB guidelines, "A player who receives a second temporary dismissal in the same match will serve the temporary dismissal and then takes no further part in the match."

What's the point in the second temporary dismissal? That to me encourages the player to be sat at the sideline for the next 10 minutes after being sent off when usually, they wouldn't be allowed to do that and would have to go to the changing rooms etc

Because the whole thing is an ill conceived, poorly thought out mess, rushed out to appease the utter morons in the media.

Because the whole thing is an ill conceived, poorly thought out mess, rushed out to appease the utter morons in the media.

We appear to have the holy trinity of refereeing disasters for next season -:rage::dummy:
- coloured kits;
- return substitutes
- sin bins.

Who said the world could not get more insane than last year with Brexit and Trump becoming President. I submit we are only Corbin from becoming PM for the world to end!:eek:

Last edited:
Why would it? This actually provides a disadvantage to the team. Dissent from the same player? Then it should be written in a way that dissent while on the sin-bin means can be carded. So, sin bin and a card for the particularly thick players.
Other players dissent? Join him in the sinbin and enjoy watching the opponents carve up your 8 or 9 player team.

what will be so hard about it?
Write in your notebook - White 10, 37th minute. Red 8, 42nd minute.

What is going to be hilarious is when a player, running back on from the sinbin, makes a smart comment as he runs past. Back to your chair, boyo!!!

We already manage multiple players in the bin (well, kind of - teams can replace a sent off player after 2min) without assistance in Futsal.

Well there we go, not so simple after all - it won't be "Back to you chair boyo" - 2nd yellow = red, although that has yet to be confirmed of course!

Are you not able to multi-task? Once you bin one, this will send a message to the others. I do not think you will get as many in the bin as you think. Yes, there will be times when you have multiple people in there; but you adapt and develop a way to manage it.

Initially, I agree. But you wait until teams start dropping points, losing games and titles. You wait until the same player is dropping his team in the s*** each week. It will soon send out a message!

Spot on. Adapt and overcome. Welcome and embrace change. Football is changing with the times, unfortunately some just don't want to move at the same pace and in the same direction.
I wear two watches, each have multiple functions where you can use a stopwatch and timer at the same time. There's two sin bin times sorted with an alarm. Again, those with smart-watches will be able to deal with this no problem.

Change doesn't always equal good - doesn't always equal bad either of course, but honestly have the laws on sock tape, undershorts, undershirts and the use of spray at free kicks improved the game in any way?

Well there we go, not so simple after all - it won't be "Back to you chair boyo" - 2nd yellow = red, although that has yet to be confirmed of course!
Read the documentation from IFAB.

That's how it works. The "sent off" player is sent off, and the team plays short for the duration of the temporary dismissal. It's not entirely clear to me from a single skim reading as to WHO gets to replace that player and when (ie, if a substitite becomes the one sitting in the sin bin, or if they can't substitute until the next opportunity/etc).

Change doesn't always equal good - doesn't always equal bad either of course, but honestly have the laws on sock tape, undershorts, undershirts and the use of spray at free kicks improved the game in any way?
the use of a can of shaving foam to control a free kick, for a referee who is too weak to do the job themselves certain ly hasnt inproved the game, it just excuses weak referees

So if I were to caution the same player twice, both for dissent, then he would have to sit at the side of the pitch for 10 minutes before going for a shower?

I bet that would be good for match control forcing someone who has already been dismissed to sit at the side of the pitch for 10 minutes.

I don't know whether this is a good idea or not, but I can see this becoming a match control nightmare for a lone referee on a council pitch.

only time will tell so we'll need to wait until people who are using the system report back next year.

I don't know if any of my leagues are implementing this, but if they do I'll give it a couple of weeks, but if I think it isn't working, or causes more issues then I'd be prepared to hang up the whistle, or move to a league which don't use them

surely its up to us to make it work...
i think someone has said that we wont be the only ones thinking about how this will all work in a practical sense... there will be instructions given closer to the time of implementation.
Whilst perhaps none of us personally will be asked for feedback along the way, there will be fellow refs somewhere out there that will be. Any tweaks to the system will be for the better.
Very happy to give it a try

Read the documentation from IFAB.

That's how it works. The "sent off" player is sent off, and the team plays short for the duration of the temporary dismissal. It's not entirely clear to me from a single skim reading as to WHO gets to replace that player and when (ie, if a substitite becomes the one sitting in the sin bin, or if they can't substitute until the next opportunity/etc).

??? The post I was querying was that 2nd dissent would be back to the sin bin, reading above, most think that means 2nd yellow = red.

i think someone has said that we wont be the only ones thinking about how this will all work in a practical sense... there will be instructions given closer to the time of implementation.
Whilst perhaps none of us personally will be asked for feedback along the way, there will be fellow refs somewhere out there that will be. Any tweaks to the system will be for the better.

I'm more than happy to give it a try.

My worry is that if it doesn't work it will make my life harder, and if I no longer enjoy refereeing then I'll have to either find leagues which don't use sin bins or I'll have to pack it in.

The proof is in the pudding, and it won't be until the end of next season until we find out whether it has been a success.

??? The post I was querying was that 2nd dissent would be back to the sin bin, reading above, most think that means 2nd yellow = red.
In the system being looked at by the FA (system "B" in the IFAB document), you could (in theory) get a temporary dismissal for dissent, then a caution for failing to respect the distance, and still continue playing.

If you take a second temporary dismissal for dissent, then you're sent off, and your team plays short for the time period of the temporary dismissal.

If you take a second caution for one of the other five reasons (say unsporting behaviour), then you are sent off, and your team plays short for the remainder of the match.

In the system being looked at by the FA (system "B" in the IFAB document), you could (in theory) get a temporary dismissal for dissent, then a caution for failing to respect the distance, and still continue playing.

If you take a second temporary dismissal for dissent, then you're sent off, and your team plays short for the time period of the temporary dismissal.

If you take a second caution for one of the other five reasons (say unsporting behaviour), then you are sent off, and your team plays short for the remainder of the match.
So, the current system where the second caution results in a dismissal and the team plays a man short is too simple or too difficult? Is it fit for purpose or not?

Entirely the wrong attitude.

Present us with a poorly thought out mess of an idea and somehow it's down to us to make it work?

No. Give us a fit for purpose solution and we will try and make it work.

But hey, some will just bend over, hand the lube to the FA/IFAB and take the inevitable shafting.

Does somebody have a link to the IFAB document? I can't find it.
It's in the new Laws, but also just the sin bin portion is here:

http://theifab.com/backend/library/doc/Laws of the Game 2017-18 Guidelines for Temporary dismissals (sin bins)

So, the current system where the second caution results in a dismissal and the team plays a man short is too simple or too difficult? Is it fit for purpose or not?
Read the document above. Type "A" is that method all over. Type "B", the hybrid method, is a bit more complex, and allows for something similar to what the US has historically called "soft red cards" (ie, that play can no longer play, but they can be replaced by a substitute).

Back