A&H

Sky Sports - Referee programme last night

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
Anybody else see the Sky Sports program last night on the SG1 referees and assistants?

Wasn't the stitch up I expected, but could have been more useful to refereeing community if they had got GH or JC to do an actual match rather than a match of the referees!

The Referee Store
Completely agree with @jofusref - really interesting to see the personalities of the refs (Mike Dean is actually hilarious) and also see them be honest about mistakes - the segment with Anthony Taylor and the Burnley/Swansea penalty was fantastic. Great programme but not getting my hopes up that it will stop players/pundits unjustly criticising refs.

Anybody else see the Sky Sports program last night on the SG1 referees and assistants?

Wasn't the stitch up I expected, but could have been more useful to refereeing community if they had got GH or JC to do an actual match rather than a match of the referees!
Thought the same thing myself even a wee youth game so they could see the actual challenges etc and then have their performance criticised!

Watching 38 year old men refer to themselves as "Clatts" or "Tayls" is cringeworthy.
Hanging round with 16-33 year olds is having an effect.
Also did anyone else think the ARs came across as really...meek?
Athony Taylor came across as a really articulate, switched on kinda guy. Much more impressive than Mike Riley
Beside that I am also sad they didn't even do a match. They will go away thinking they know even more about refereeing now when in fact they still know absolutely F*** all!!

Last edited:
Watching 38 year old men refer to themselves as "Clatts" or "Tayls" is cringeworthy.
Beside that I am also sad they didn't even do a match. They will go away thinking they know even more about refereeing now when in fact they still know absolutely F*** all!!
Is deusex your real name? People have nicknames that live with them a lifetime I don't think there is anything wrong with that! People still called Jamie 'Carra' and Neville 'Manc Scum'.
The ARs did come across as meek and appeared to lack confidence until the first guy spoke and then Sian came across ok, in a later segment.

Agreed Deusex. Thought the programme was quite funny to be fair, but when the elite referees say that GN and JC did really well, when in actual fact, they weren't anything amazing, doesn't quite sit right with me

Is deusex your real name? People have nicknames that live with them a lifetime I don't think there is anything wrong with that! People still called Jamie 'Carra' and Neville 'Manc Scum'.
The ARs did come across as meek and appeared to lack confidence until the first guy spoke and then Sian came across ok, in a later segment.

Yeah but we all know those people that try and get their own nickname to stick :D
Anyone in the real world is going to call him..... Tony!!
Carra is so cringe as well!!
It's like when your dad says "wicked".... Just doesn't sound right

I thought it was interesting. BT Sport are doing one tonight, but from what I have read seems to be focused on referees from differing levels. It is unlikely to have the access to the PGMOL referees like Sky can get but should hopefully give a better insight into grassroots officials.

I thought it was interesting. BT Sport are doing one tonight, but from what I have read seems to be focused on referees from differing levels. It is unlikely to have the access to the PGMOL referees like Sky can get but should hopefully give a better insight into grassroots officials.
What time?

I believe it follows Michael Oliver for a match day, so seems they did get access to PGMOL officials.

Back