A&H

'Small Sided Referees Course'

Liam C

Hi,

Firstly I'll introduce myself, I'm Liam and I've just turned 16. I've been looking to get into refereeing for a while and decided that one of the other referee courses may be better for me to start off with. My local FA (Hampshire) have 3 types of referee courses listed and at the moment, I feel the small sided one would be best for me. This is because I can use it to ref at the goals centre in Portsmouth, so I won't have to worry about travel costs and I'm hoping the course itself will be a bit cheaper. I'd also to get a few seasons under my belt dealing with shouting from the parents ect.

My questions are
- Has anyone here done that specific course?
- What is the average price (as it's not listed)
- What time of the year is it run? I'm a bit concerned about it's existence as Worcester are not currently running the Mini soccer course.

Liam.

The Referee Store
Liam, small sided is very different from Mini Soccer. Mini soccer has just been relaunched as a gateway course to refereeing. You do that course then can do an upgrade which allows you to referee 11 a side.

Worcester will be running the Mini soccer course once they have launched the course to their tutors.

I don't have any information on the small sided refereeing course, sorry.

I looked further into it and I think i'll do the small sided one. I could still ref at 'Goals' and the next course in January, is in Portsmouth and it's only £35.00.

Thanks to both of you for the help and I'll use that email for any more questions :)

Personally I'd go for the full course. It's more expensive I know, but should you choose to start doing 11 a side you can and won't have to sit another course.

Just my 2 penneth

Welcome to the site by the way :)

Cheers :)

That's a good point , which I have thought about. I'll be doing all my school exams in the summer and then be looking to go to college. That's why reffing in one location rather than a full league would suit me better at this time. If Hampshire were to offer a reserve ref award like Devon one day, then perhaps i'll do that. But for the moment I feel it would be best to give small sided reffing a go and then if I enjoy it, perhaps progress onwards. Do you know if i'd be eligible for things like Fustal conversion with a small sided certificate?

Hi Liam,
I've recently taken the full 11 a side course, my local FA which is Somerset were offering the course free of charge, if you opted to be an assistant in the Somerset County Prem (level 5 referee) you would be an assistant for 2 seasons for 2 games a month and on the other 2 weeks you could referee at your level. A few of the younger lads on my course opted for that, 1. For the experience 2. Some didn't drive and you should normally be picked up by the ref. (it wasn't for me)
might be worth considering mate, I've just signed up to a goals type venue and now reffing there aswell on a Thursday and Sunday evening, and it is miles apart from 11 a side.
Hope my comments help and good luck with whatever you choose to do. Any questions just shout

That sounds pretty good, I didn't know opportunities like that existed. I'm guessing the different options vary by region though.

Did this venue accept you, with the 11v11 award or did you have to do a conversion course to ref at the venue as well?

Yeah it might just be a county by county decision I guess.

They just accepted my word that I was a qualified referee, I had an induction of 1/2 a game and that was it

Back