A&H

South Africa - potential replay

The Referee Store
Ooh was just about to post this. Haven’t stumbled across highlights yet. Initial reaction when one team’s dribbling on about inconsistencies and/or bias it’s usually cos you’ve given a couple of 50/50s against them near the benches.

A dodgy penalty and some decisions one side doesn't like does not equate to the referee putting bets on the number of goals to be scored. Big difference between this event and the one that caused the replay last time

A dodgy penalty and some decisions one side doesn't like does not equate to the referee putting bets on the number of goals to be scored. Big difference between this event and the one that caused the replay last time
Based on the evidence so far, sure. But what caused an investigation to open up last time? That article refers to a handball decision that didn't actually hit a hand in the previous match - if that was enough to spark an investigation in the previous incident, then I agree that FIFA are due to be hoisted by their own petard and do at least own SA an initial investigation based on these decisions.

True, but surely this is just fishing...
Absolutely, but surely you could have said that about the Senegal appeal in 2018 until the investigation happened and evidence came to light as a result of that investigation? I don't know where the line should be drawn, but there is a direct precedent for at least a slightly deeper look into this.

Absolutely, but surely you could have said that about the Senegal appeal in 2018 until the investigation happened and evidence came to light as a result of that investigation? I don't know where the line should be drawn, but there is a direct precedent for at least a slightly deeper look into this.
One thing you could potentially lead to "dodgy" is that back then it was Senegal who made the complaint and got the match replayed, and in this case the referee was from Senegal - revenge maybe??
There you go, I've turned in 2+2 into anything but 4.
And yes I'm not serious.

There'd have to be evidence of 'unusual betting patterns' (or similar). Otherwise we're replaying every game
The highlights are on YouTube. The PK award stunk to high heaven. However, the Ref turned down the award of a PK to Ghana earlier in the game

There'd have to be evidence of 'unusual betting patterns' (or similar). Otherwise we're replaying every game
The highlights are on YouTube. The PK award stunk to high heaven. However, the Ref turned down the award of a PK to Ghana earlier in the game
Was there more than one angle? I've only seen one angle, try as I might, and it was very unhelpful

Was there more than one angle? I've only seen one angle, try as I might, and it was very unhelpful
Not that I'm aware of. More importantly is the PK turned down earlier in the game. If the game was bent, that would've been given

It doesn't look like South Africa are accusing the referee of corruption; they just don't like the decisions the referee made. This isn't grounds for a replay. VAR will probably be used next time in Africa.

Not that I'm aware of. More importantly is the PK turned down earlier in the game. If the game was bent, that would've been given
Sounds like a referee who felt he should have awarded the first penalty call and regretted not giving it. This may have had an effect on his thinking and he felt he had to make up for it.

"A comprehensive report on the match had been compiled by former South African referee Ace Ncobo and will be used as part of Safa's protest with Fifa."
"Ncobo said he picked up 71 major incidents from the match where he believes that the referee either turned a blind eye in favour of Ghana or made incorrect calls against the South African team."

71 major incidents with bias! Wow. How can not everyone notice this and be major news even before SA complaint.

"A comprehensive report on the match had been compiled by former South African referee Ace Ncobo and will be used as part of Safa's protest with Fifa."
"Ncobo said he picked up 71 major incidents from the match where he believes that the referee either turned a blind eye in favour of Ghana or made incorrect calls against the South African team."

71 major incidents with bias! Wow. How can not everyone notice this and be major news even before SA complaint.
They got the one and the seven the wrong way around. But still astounding

Reactions: one

I'm positive that the South African referee had zero objectivity and/or bias issues. :D

Can we just combine CONCACAF and CAF and call it the "S***house League"?

Back