A&H

Starting out, getting qualified.

JudgeDreadful

Hi all. My first post here. I've been helping out as a referee for my Sons football team for the last couple of years or so, he is now age 9. It's been a great experience, however as they are getting older I recognise things are getting much more serious and competitive. To this end I have decided to become qualified as a referee and have secured a place on an FA course. The details for the course are a little vague, it just mentions a mixture of classroom and practical work so I am not 100% sure what to expect and just wondered if anyone on here knew exactly what I'm in for. I've been reading a book called 'The Soccer Referee's Manual' and doing online questions on a website called 'areferee.com' to familiarise myself with rules etc. Any help appreciated ! Thanks...

The Referee Store
If you’re based in the UK then The FA has a great intro to refereeing. In fact, it’s a good intro to refereeing unless you’re in the States where they just make up any old toot

And find “Guide to the Laws of the Game”

The Hampshire FA website summarises the main points of the course, and indeed as a Referee Developer (tutor) in Hampshire I completed a course on Sunday and have another next week.
The pre-course online part has to be completed successfully before the course, together with Safeguarding for All, which is also online.
The pre-course online guidance and test give you the majority of what you need in terms of laws knowledge, and the face-to-face learning concentrates on how to apply the laws, manage situations, etc., plus advice about positioning.
In Hampshire we invite the local Referee Appointments Secretary to attend the final hour, so learners can speak directly with them and register as a referee in the league. Another current post indicates that not every county does that, but it works for us.
When you attend the course, be prepared to take part in a game as a player, and then take your turn refereeing for 5-8 minutes. Take a pen and notebook to the course and make lots of notes!
I would suggest dropping www.areferee.com as a source of Q & A, as their site appears to be way out of date.
Enjoy the course.

Back