A&H

Struggling with numbers

svenny76

RefChat Addict
So, i'm not sure what the numbers are like in other counties, but we really struggle to get the numbers to attend our RA meetings, i would say we would probably get about 12 people turn up, always the same people.

I'm still new relatively new to refereeing so still find these meetings really useful, we always have a guest speaker, wether that's a prem ref, an FA representative of some description , FL refs, prem AR's, medical trainers etc.......

I've recently joined the management team and trying to get more people involved.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how you get the numbers to turn up?

The Referee Store
The point that I have (tried) to make to my local RA :

Technology and life has moved on. The people that attend the local RA are the 6 members of the board. Now top of the list I support the RA am a member and get the benefits. Drawback - the 6 board members are all over 60 (no offence), they are all retired and it seems as though they are trying to keep it going but for their owm benefit.

The bolloc*ing email that we received when no-one supported the Local RA Golf Day (suprisingly at the GC that one member is also on the board of) disgusted me. It was arranges for a Wedensday between 11am and 4pm. Err, sorry, but guess that the majority of referees are probbly at work trying to pay their morgage, and are not retired, living of final salary pensions and loving the equity their houses have provided them with, with all day to do nothing.

But as I say, when they were younger, a monthly meeting was their forum. a get to gether for a chin wag, some advise and to air their grievences was their refchat.

I asked recently about a fellow RA member (senior member) who whilst as an AR whacked his flag across his chest. The advise receied was that "I donlt care what the memo said - I know what it means, the ref knows what it means and so does everyone else".

Yeah great!

At a meeting you will meet others, who have their experiences to draw on, and their own opinions of things. And TBH, from the 7 at the last one I went to, all were taken with a pinch of salt. one was een talking abouta game he was watching in 1935 - the D had not even been added to the pitch at that time!

On a on-line forum we have probably 400+ members active, with a variety of levels from 8 and 9 (who can bring somthing, sometimes) through to assessors, mentors, FL officials and even the input from the odd FIFA official too (!)

When did you last have the ability to as a L7,4, 2, NL and FIFA the same question at the same time? It wasn't at my last meeting that's for sure.

After speaking to one of the board about potentia ways to improve the attendance by changing the day, time and or location of the meeting here I was asked if was being serious. Fact is, from my experience they are old boys clubs that old boys run, how they want to run it, so they can have an excuse to get out of the house for an evening and have a beer with the old boys (before driving home), for some it is maybe their only reason to get out of the house if they are on their own, and none of the above have officiated a game for many seasons. Besides I bgrudge my subs going to the local Conservative club to line their pockets in room hire fees, bt again, the chairman is a member....

And the AGM for the national RA is just as bad. The first point made is that "hearing aids can be tuned to their T setting". My first AGM I was horrified at the fact that those in the room passing ammendments that affect ALL members had an average age of 50 plus, and a lot ha not officiated for years quite obviosuly (the sticks and walking fames gave that away). Not to bemtion Mr O'Tool's open letter about the way it was being ran and finacnes etc......

One question was posed "surely people do not pay theur annual subs JUST to get the physio cover, do they?"Answer - yes, they probably do.

But for all ov the above, despite the ways in which the locals are ran, it is worth my annaul fee just to get the Saturday conference workshops.

Just a shame that last year they discovered that 12 of the 20 or so officials invited to present them were not members of the RA themselves (NB they were forced to pay their annual membership fee beore they could present their courses!).

So, I think that life has moved on and they under 30's of the worlds do not have the want, need or time to attend a meeting with older people to discuss things, when they can get the knowledge of 100's from around the world in one click. It is a shame that the old boys can not keep their loving local socities afloat no matter what they try. Everyone is time short, and if they have a question or want an answer, it is wanted immediately - not in 3 weeks time.

r.a. - another footballing institution which is clearly less than fit for purpose

There is just a general indifference from referees towards RAs. The RA I attend is struggling despite the efforts of those running it.

r.a. - another footballing institution which is clearly less than fit for purpose

What experience have you had with your RA that makes you so negative?
I'm looking to try and get to the route cause of why people don't want to attend, so would be good to hear what made you not want to get involved with your RA.

My RA are all mainly 50yrs of age plus, I'm not young at 38, but I personally find it of benefit to me,I can see why others don't, but my question to those,what would you like to see at your meeting that would encourage you and others like you to start coming again?

That's one of the reasons I joined the management team to try and get some other ideas and try and bring the average age down to at lest 40!

I've only been to one local meeting and I found it really useful. A broad range of ages, plus a talk from an experienced local FA member on mass confrontations. Even though I'd had the same talk a couple of months back on my BRC, it was great to meet with other refs who were obviously a range of levels and had a great range of experience to draw from. I guess it depends a lot on which local RA you end up going to though.

i read somewhere that halifax r.a., i think it was, is a big success story, bucking the general trend

worth googling their site for ideas / contacts

just googled it myself - good grief, they have something called twitter!.....and facebook!

Last edited:
Have a listen to the referees world podcast. They've done a couple of interviews with RA's

The RA's just don't make enough effort to reach out to younger/new referees IMO.

I've been to a number of meetings and not once have I felt either welcome or included; the 'old boys' sit around and make absolutely no effort to engage with new members. I did try, but they were completely disinterested.

The RA I used to attend have made attempts to move into the 21st century, with a new chairman and a presence (of sorts) on social media but when it came down to it, they let me down. I was really struggling and my confidence had all but disappeared, I asked for somebody to come out and watch me on numerous occasions, but no support was forthcoming. I just can't justify the cost of membership anymore.

In terms of getting numbers up, you need to try to reach out to new members. Get yourself on social media, advertise yourself to new referees and try to create a more welcoming, supportive environment.

Attendance and contribution at RA meetings seems to be a problem across the UK. Having been part of my local RA for about two years and listening to my dad (who was a member of one about twenty years ago) it's clear key obstacles exist. As with any organisation there will be major cliques, especially amongst the older generation and RAs are no different. I love the weekly training my RA does and the coaching at meetings is really insightful, but having to sit through half an hour/an hour of waffling on about the constitution and the distribution of the handbook from certain *ahem* members would put a lot of people off, most notably the younger, newer guys. From my entrance class of about twenty only two including myself attend fairly regularly. In terms of progressing (might be a different process in England) it seems that a lot of weight is put on who you know rather than what you know i.e. LoTG and how to referee effectively. I'm not saying those who are progressing in my RA aren't very good and capable referees but it's clear to see through where everyone is seated at meetings and who stands next to who at training who the 'in crowd' are. My Dad talks about these guys in his association who were known as the 'mafia'. As I said, every organisation and some of its members will eventually suffer from hierarchy and pecking order but I can see why new, young referees aren't more involved with their local RA when it can, at times, seem as though it's politics and not talent that is the difference between progressing and not.

I have so much to say but so little space and time on this one. My own RA has its own Youth Committee. About a third of the members are under 25. We organised our own pre-season development day for the last 2 seasons. The reason Halifax RA are doing so well is that a lot of the people attending used to be members of our RA and then one of our members moved to their area and this gave them the impetus to get up and running. They're doing a great job too.

4 or 5 of our RAs send referees to international tournaments each season. Our membership is around 70 and our attendance averages 35. We have a development evening tonight (second this season) where the whole County is invited. It takes a little energy, some imagination and the refusal to accept NO to get things moving. That's all. Sorry to hear of your experiences HRW. I know of other RAs in my County which are the same

Sunderland RA has over 80 members me being one of them, not saying 80 all turn up on the night but being 15 nearly 16 i love sunderland ra

I love my RA and get so much from it that helps me out on the pitch as well as gives me an insight into 'tv' football

We only have 40-50 members but considering we are "Barking & Dagenham" (a London Borough) I don't think only having this number of members is that bad compared to others with a bigger catchment (city) area

A few of our members are also members of the Romford RA down the road - #splitters :)

My society meets every FORTNIGHT - not monthly - which is great for me - but - we normally only get 15-20 each meeting

How to get numbers up ..?
  • work with County - they will have a Youth Council and can tell you who has taken the Course recently
  • vary the 'agenda' for each meeting - video nights, small groups, different topics, an annual "get ready for cup final" night, quizzes
  • development nights out of the normal rooms and out on the pitch are great too

Back