A&H

Stuff of nightmares

The Referee Store
First watch I said no-goal.

Pausing on as many frames as I can, look like its headed, hits the defender on the line, and the bulge is inside the netting, however the reactions initially from the attack and defence just don't add up. Really hard one to work out, albeit I should probably loom at it more thoroughly, I can't see an error in the ref's actions

The reaction from the fans behind the goal is weird, as well. They don't seem to celebrate at first, which makes me think that it didn't go in...

Maybe the assistant could have helped the ref there.

When you freeze it on different frames, it certainly looks like the net is around the ball, guess it was lucky that the decision didn't affect the game.

OMG amazing. Much freeze framery - I think - supports no goal. At least the ball hits the ad board while not in the net.
774F187F-EA29-40E4-BF49-2F7DC3ADF032.png

Did it go in the net, out and back in again though … I don’t think so. The only person who thinks it’s a goal is the “scorer”. All the players that see the ball hit the board don’t react. Then the cheeky chap who has seen the ball go through the side net chances an appeal.

There are only a couple of fans and players that know for sure.

To me it looks like the ball hits the outside of the post, onto the advertising hoarding and rolls back into the net behind the goal, attacking no5 seems to give the net a shake or lifts the net frame then runs off celebrating, but his initial reaction didn't suggest the ball had gone in.

It is a goal, but it has taken a lot of freeze frames and slow advance to work that out. If you look at the still below, you can just about see the net is stretched out with the ball, and if you watch it frame by frame you can see the net move out further and further with the ball. What I think has happened is the attacker has shot and the ball has found the gap between the defender who is (badly) guarding the post, ricocheted off his left leg and then into the side netting. For whatever reason the net isn't taught and has a lot of flex in it, normally it would bounce off the side netting into the goal, but here it has stretched it out and then just fallen to the floor.

1670161284961.png

Reactions: es1
The more I watch it the more I think it must be a goal, but all the reactions (player and spectator) are wrong!

The more I watch it the more I think it must be a goal, but all the reactions (player and spectator) are wrong!
I think that is because of the netting, it has come out so far with the ball it creates an optical illusion that the ball is outside of the post. This is perhaps the most telling one, why would the net be out that far from the goal if the ball had hit it on the outside?

1670162303760.png

When you consider that this is the shape of the netting before the ball hits it.

1670162401051.png

I agree, I don't see a line down the side which some modern nets have which could catch the ball in a similar way (think sterling v Italy world cup 2014)

Also looking at with frame movement, you can just see the ball travel towards the goal past the yellow (6?) just under his right arm. The ball then passes him and then you can see the net fully bulge straight away = GOAL

1670243764990.png

Back