A&H

Sunday League - Referee calls game off 10 minutes early

NorthLondonRef

I usually keep an eye on this local Sunday League team because the chairman has his own video company and has been recording their games for the past 20+ years. Couple of interesting talking/discussion points.

8:37 - I find referee's positioning odd here. Stood frozen still and not moving despite game going on around him. Then offside is called by defending team's volunteer assistant running the line. Obviously clearly onside. This is then straight away followed by what I would say is quite an over exuberant run to follow an attack on 9:20 when considering the previous frozen still behaviour. Replay of the wrong offside call is at 9:48. The offside call is important because of what happens later.

There are other examples of the official just standing still in the middle of the pitch not moving with his whistle to his mouth for long durations. For example between 22:17- 22:46. Really odd in my opinion.

26:38 - Another offside call. This time against the red team. Much closer, but impossible to tell if on or off. I'd say on from the limited angle on the replay but borderline. Forward then complains. I've seen much much worse. Not even that bad. If play is allowed to restart then what follows doesn't have to happen. Everything chimes in with an opinion. Ref talks a few seconds with complaining forward. Then appears to allow play to continue but a few second laters decides to blow full time whistle ten minutes early citing "blame your number 9" because "it was getting silly".

Note: This isn't a thread saying "here you go, let's all analyse this referee's performance and have a go at him" but more of a constructive discussion.

The Referee Store
The 1st offside, is a typical CAR decision, look carefully, he points at a player on far side (who is nowhere the play obviously!) as the player he flagged offside.

It WAS a friendly, which probably explains referee's attitude - we've discussed it on here - NEVER go in to a friendly, expecting an easy stroll!

2nd offside is borderline as you say, but the whole situation is not helped by the usual experts ON THE HALFWAY LINE saying 'Miles offside'

Easy to referee a game from home, but my course of action, would have been to call captains over - BRIEFLY reiterate the difficulty of CAR decisions, remind them its a friendly - no one wants cards - but if their players don't shut up, then cards will come out.

Agree it looks a soft 'abandonment', not sure if he would have reacted like that if a league match.

There are other examples of the official just standing still in the middle of the pitch not moving with his whistle to his mouth for long durations.

This is probably more common than you might think.

Sometimes, if a game of mine is called off for whatever reason, I'll go see if a local game is on. Get to see the new/old talent. Many a times I've seen a referee just patrol the centre circle, and keep his movements to a minimum. And then, when they do move it's at a leisurely pace, god forbid they get to the box because they won't be chugging across the pitch for any breakaways any time soon.

I don't like to see that. But it happens.

Anyway as to your points; The first offside looks on by a mile. I don't use CAR's though, so wouldn't have had this issue. The abandonment, I couldn't really comment, I don't know what has been said. :old:

This is probably more common than you might think.

Sometimes, if a game of mine is called off for whatever reason, I'll go see if a local game is on. Get to see the new/old talent. Many a times I've seen a referee just patrol the centre circle, and keep his movements to a minimum. And then, when they do move it's at a leisurely pace, god forbid they get to the box because they won't be chugging across the pitch for any breakaways any time soon.

I don't like to see that. But it happens.

Anyway as to your points; The first offside looks on by a mile. I don't use CAR's though, so wouldn't have had this issue. The abandonment, I couldn't really comment, I don't know what has been said. :old:
Should have introduced yourself when you watched me last RobOda!

Obviously a bad day at the office. Possibly stiff/injured/double booked/who knows... doesn't add up when the game was so muted.
But unfortunately comes across like a terrible attitude and looks like no justification for "finishing early".

Of course, there are lots of centre circle refs lower down... round my way, I wonder for how much longer... I just heard that for the first time we have so many new refs, some might be turned away.

Ouch that made for uncomfortable viewing, very odd indeed.

It’s like he was magneticly stuck to the spot & couldn’t move, the most bizarre piece of refereeing I think I’ve ever seen.

I’d be interested to know if he has any self awareness of how he looks to others whilst he referees, I almost feel sorry for him like he’s a kid that’s been chucked onto the pitch to ref, something very odd about that video very odd indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back