A&H

Switzerland v Lithuania

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Just been told about this....

Keeper informed officials that the goal is too high, and it was by 20cms.

When you do your pre match checks do you check the height of goals.
I must admit, I tend to check nets and often touch the crossbar.
Once I've come across a goal that, for me, I've never been able to reach the crossbar (a step 5 game nonetheless). I was assistant, and I was walking the pitch pre warm up (so in shirt and tie still) with the referee and other assistant. I told him it is extremely unusual for me not to touch the crossbar (I'm 6ft 3). He blamed it on the slope of the pitch and that that end was a big rise.
But as i was assistant I didn't want to go behind his back and get it looked at if he was happy.
Now I'm thinking I should have.

Tried to find a video of it but all I'm finding are gamers using the game and result as a means for you to watch their videos and earn them advert money.

The Referee Store
Nope. Don't check, don't have any interest in checking and if a GK starts moaning that his goal is too big, I'd tell him to look forward to getting into the "smaller" goal in the second half.

It will generally be obvious, if it isn't obvious no referee is likely to detect it. I had it in a supply league game, whilst I was checking the nets something just didn't look right. I'm a short arse so can't easily touch the bar anyway, but it seemed even higher than normal, and when I moved back to the edge of the area one post was clearly higher than the other. Once I flagged the problem it turned out there was a blockage in one of the ground tunes that the post goes into and they got it sorted.

Some levels you just have to let it go though. Anyone who has ever refereed at Clapham Common will know that the goal posts are rarely the right height.

I can easily touch, so I can tell when it is too short or too tall (if it is significant). But I don't do a level of games where we're going to call of the game or think anyone can "fix" the height of a goal on short notice. Most I'll be doing is reporting that there was an issue--both teams defend each goal for the same amount of time. At higher levels of competition, I think refs are expected to notice and insist it be fixed.

(Somewhat relevant aside: I did many games on a field that used portable goals that were poorly designed so that when the net was tight enough to provide adequate support, there was literally not enough room in the very upper corners for the ball to actually completely cross the goal line. I think if the back of the net prevented it from getting those last two inches over the line, I would have just given the goal and no one would have been the wiser. Again, a technical problem that no one at that level had any interest in becoming a cancel-the-game issue. but fortunately they were able to buy new goals a couple of years ago.)

I always pace from one goal to the other checking penalty area, goal area sizes etc. Once, a few years ago, I discovered a pitch whrere on half was TEN metres longer than the other! Checked it a couple of times to make sure. Spoke to guy standing around who turned out to be groundsman! He checked, and was massively embarrassed to agree. All I could do was tell both coaches and get on with the game.

20cm is significant. That's the goals being almost 10% bigger. But it depends on the level of game. Laws of the game allow for it to be ignored.

At higher levels, as ref, I rely on NARs for checking. As NAR, I have a standard method of using the flag to check the net attachment to the bar. So if too short or too tall, it would stand out for me .

Short bars are common for grassroot grounds with permanent posts. They top up the soil annually by half an inch so after a few years they become significantly short. But no one complained and at grassroots no one cares either.

20cm is significant. That's the goals being almost 10% bigger. But it depends on the level of game. Laws of the game allow for it to be ignored.

At higher levels, as ref, I rely on NARs for checking. As NAR, I have a standard method of using the flag to check the net attachment to the bar. So if too short or too tall, it would stand out for me .

Short bars are common for grassroot grounds with permanent posts. They top up the soil annually by half an inch so after a few years they become significantly short. But no one complained and at grassroots no one cares either.

Yeah 20cm is almost 8 inches which, like you say is quite a significant measurement.

I'm not sure if I'd notice even that within an 8ft spectrum though - especially being stood under it or viewing it from a distance. I'd need a tape measure. Who actually takes one out for their pre-match pitch inspection though? :rolleyes: I don't even have one in my bag. :D

In any of the grass roots matches that I officiate in, if I were to come out with a gem like that before the game, the home team would just laugh at me and chin it off. :cool:

Yeah 20cm is almost 8 inches which, like you say is quite a significant measurement.
*snigger*

I'm not sure if I'd notice even that within an 8ft spectrum though - especially being stood under it or viewing it from a distance.
I probably wouldn't notice it from a distance, can generally tell when stood in the goal though!

I prefer tittering me sell

I don't doubt that for one minute. :rolleyes:

But again, that's not for me. Too much like giggling.

Being of severely masculine Northern stock, if I'm not chortling, then I'm most likely letting out a loud "guffaw" but never tittering Sir and certainly not giggling. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back