A&H

Team Talks

drahc

L3 Referee. EFL Assistant. Tutor. Observer. Coach.
Level 3 Referee
Observer/Tutor
This is an out of interest thread...

Just wondering if any of you carry out team talks with the home and away team players before the game, e.g. what you expect of them etc... I personally don't, and cringe when I see referees do it, especially when I was a player. I find there is no need for it, I feel you're not giving yourself the best image and you're setting yourself up for dissent from the players (e.g. you said you would caution for that ref!)

Would be interested to hear from those who disagree with me, as to why you feel the need to carry out this team talks.

The Referee Store
Good lord no.

I had a free Sunday before Christmas so went to run the line for my local club's under 16s. The referee spoke to each side separately for close to 10 minutes after inspecting their boots. It was utterly baffling and, I suspect, had zero effect on the players whatsoever - even so when one was sent off in the final minute for language.

I do, but only really to introduce myself and check the kit. I let them know that I'm here to enjoy a good game of football, as are they, and that if they concentrate on playing the game, I won;t need to step up and referee it. I'd rather let the game flow as much as possible, but I will pull things up if I consider them dangerous and I have a low tolerance for the verbals - at your opponents, at me or between yourselves. Also, if I have CARs, I'm calling offsides today, I will rarely be in the best position but, the Law says I have to give benefit of any doubt to the attacker so please don;t stand there with your arm in the air - play to the whistle. Thanks a lot and have a good game.

Haven't threatened, or promised anything, just told them how I ref, and that it is up to them to keep the game in the right spirit. If they don't, I still have room to manage the situation as I see fit.

Pretty much the same with juniors and youth, except I will usually finish with 'If there are any decisions I make during the game you are unsure of, I am happy to explain it to you after the game so don't be afraid to come and ask - I enjoy talking about footy as much as anyone'.

This season, I've been doing a pre-match talk to the teams at Junior & Youth level.
Briefly, I introduce myself; tell them that "I'm not perfect but I will be fair; what I see I'll give, what I don't see I won't give."
I then remind them to play to the whistle and not stop playing if they appeal for something.
If there's any decision they don't understand, I'm happy explain it. "However, the process is; you ask, I answer. The end. No debate. "
For under-15's and 16's I then talk about foul language. I understand that they might swear if their frustrated or angry at themselves, but we play on public parks with young children around, so try to control it if possible. "However, I will take action if you swear at an opponent, team-mate or - if you're really foolish - at me. "
Finally, I say to the manager/coach that, if he has any problem with the opposition manager or supporters, he does not get involved. Instead, he notifies me and I will speak to their manager to sort it out.
Equally, I will ask him to deal with any complaint regarding his supporters.
Then, it's "enjoy the game, good luck and we'll start in x minutes"

It probably sounds a lot but only takes 3 minutes to deliver.

Does it make any difference? Possibly. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Each to his own, i think - if you try it and it works, carry on doing it, if you try it and it doesn't work, try something else. Even if you don't try it at all and it works, that's fine too

Mark, do you have particular problems with managers and coaches and supporters in the leagues that you ref on. Otherwise, mentioning such a negative before the game seems a tad unneccessary, especially since you're going to deal with any problems of that nature yourself anyway, should they occur during the match

I have a mix of Matty and Mark in my pre match talk. I explain that the only people who can speak to me are the two captains, if there are any problems you present them through the captains, if you don't understand a decision the ask and I will try to explain the law behind it but anything else is through the skipper. It normally works well and helps me build a good rapport with the captains because this makes them feel important. I must add that I only ref u14 and below.

@haywain I wouldn't call mark's comments unnecessary, I would say it is being pro active, telling them not to get involved if something does happen. It's just like refs saying they don't want dissent or foul language towards themselves, why should they expect it and if they don't expect it, why put it in your pre match?

Hull, don't forget that the o/p 'cringes' at the mere thought of pre-match team talks whilst you seem to have ignored my opening sentence completely

As for explaining that 'the only people who can speak to me are the two captains...and this to 14 year olds downwards'.....as i said, if it works for you......

Hull, don't forget that the o/p 'cringes' at the mere thought of pre-match team talks whilst you seem to have ignored my opening sentence completely

As for explaining that 'the only people who can speak to me are the two captains...and this to 14 year olds downwards'.....as i said, if it works for you......

The OP was wondering if anyone disagreed with his opinions, and HullRef has merely said that he does actually do a team talk - he isn't going out of his way to make the OP cringe, just answering the OP's question!

Depends on the age group I think. Most 13's and 14's teams I've had this season come already changed and just go warm up so it's difficult enough getting them all together to check boots, shin pads etc. without then starting to lay down what you will and won't accept. At older age groups however, most of whom use changing rooms and are more likely to to test what you will and won't tolerate dissent wise on the pitch, I'll have a quick word before they go out saying something like 'I won't comment on the decisions you make during the game, when to pass, take a quick throw etc., so I'd appreciate if no-one commented on mine.' I think every ref has their own style, being a big disciplinarian or allowing a bit of leniency in interpretation of the rules, and if talking to the teams pre match helps get that across then I'm all for it - I've certainly found it to be a help.

PS…I did have an incident recently when the coach of an under 13's team asked me if I wanted a chat with the boys before the game and looked quite baffled when I said no so. I couldn't help but think 'last weeks' ref' had done exactly what you're talking about drahc and bored the players to death with a length list of do's and dont's :p

Haywain, the logic behind my comments to managers is that the majority of problems DO start on the sideline and can escalate if it sparks a slanging match. The idea behind saying "tell me" is that we nip such issues in the bud. There have been issues in the Swansea league in the recent past. Famous last words, I haven't had any problems since I introduced my "talk".

My tone is not as negative as might appear. I actually say "I don't imagine you will have any problems but, if there are any issues with their manager or supporters, don't you deal with it. Tell me and I'll speak to their manager to sort it. Equally, if they make a complaint, I'll ask you to sort it."

I usually referee mens football on Saturday afternoons; my approach at the moment is not to give any team talks as I feel vulnerable to daft comments which might undermine me before a ball has been kicked. I'll check for jewellery from a distance and ask the captains to ensure that all is removed.

Therefore I tend to just speak to the captains at the toss up. I try to keep it informal and friendly and tell them:

1) I'm doing them a favour by not asking for a CAR so therefore don't expect to hear any dissent for offside decisions which I know I will not get all correct.
2) I want first opportunity to deal with any fouls and subsequent misconduct and therefore do not want to hear any players asking me "to have a word with him" as soon as a tackle goes as that will undermine my authority.
3) I wish them both good luck and to enjoy the game.

Usually both will then shout at their teams "don't give the ref any grief today lads" or "lets let the ref make the decisions today".

Very much depends on your character - if you're really good at the banter then you may feel comfortable speaking to the whole team but as stated earlier if you tell them you're going to let the game flow and then within the first couple of minutes you stop the game for a foul then you're liable to hear "ref you said you were gonna let the game flow".

Do you not have any CAR's then @GPRD81? Not even for ins and outs?

I like a quick chat with the players before the game, I told them today that I had played just before I got there (which I had) and lost 10-1 which got a laugh, then you're on the right foot with them.

Also before the second half I had a quick word with the blue captain, about 5 of his teammates were around him. I told him to make sure some of his player's shut up, then pointed at the kid who was the loudest all game and said " mainly him". Captain and other 5 players started laughing, at least it shows you are human.

I hope that the '1' meant that your team won the last five minutes, Hull, as my son's team did in losing 12-1 on Saturday morning

Introduce myself, check equipment "no I don't like the tape law, yes I am enforcing it, same as last time you asked me", make some witty retort to the expected and inevitable "what about his/my knob piercing ref?" Comment. Very quickly tell them how offside will work (ie play to the whistle), stud check, thanks lads have a good game.

Takes about 2 minutes, depending on how equipment needs sorting.

i think there's a way of doing it that shows your confidence and helps the players to believe in you.

i normally say hello to each manager and just an "alright lads?" as i pop my head round the changing room door. if you hide in your room/car it makes you look nervous. i generally ask the manager to ensure that there is no visible jewellry and do a secondary check as i'm going about my pre match duties.

i find that at my level nothing more is needed - it's enough to do trying to get 11 men on the park in matching shirts - but if i were to be promoted i would have to pay a little bit more attention i guess.

Do you not have any CAR's then @GPRD81? Not even for ins and outs?

I like a quick chat with the players before the game, I told them today that I had played just before I got there (which I had) and lost 10-1 which got a laugh, then you're on the right foot with them.

Also before the second half I had a quick word with the blue captain, about 5 of his teammates were around him. I told him to make sure some of his player's shut up, then pointed at the kid who was the loudest all game and said " mainly him". Captain and other 5 players started laughing, at least it shows you are human.

No, would never have a CAR, particularly at mens football where they would have to change whenever a sub is made.

Ok, I seem to find it a lot harder without CAR's than with them, even if they do change over. Have you ever tried using them?

Back