A&H

Team Talks

i think there's a way of doing it that shows your confidence and helps the players to believe in you.

i normally say hello to each manager and just an "alright lads?" as i pop my head round the changing room door. if you hide in your room/car it makes you look nervous. i generally ask the manager to ensure that there is no visible jewellry and do a secondary check as i'm going about my pre match duties.

i find that at my level nothing more is needed - it's enough to do trying to get 11 men on the park in matching shirts - but if i were to be promoted i would have to pay a little bit more attention i guess.
if you are going for promotion, it is expected and noted on if you do not complete a check of equipment and studs. Been marked down for missing tape before now and not checking studs before kick off. The stud check was the final game of the season, an evening match after work, bottom division game between 2 teams with nothing to play for (last and middle table) - it was a terrible game of football, but it got assessed. Luckily the throwing away of easy marks didn't matter.

That is West Wales mind, could be different over your end.

The Referee Store
I tell the captains this:

4 things please gents

1) play to my whistle please, especially for offside decisions
2) try and keep the language down, we're in a public area
3) I expect you to speak to me as you would like to be spoken to
4) enjoy the game today

Show the coin, hand it to home captain, ask away captain to call whilst in the air. Do the change around or stay as you are, count the players on each team to make sure there are not too many. Check CAR's are ready and keepers and away we go for 90 minutes of fun :)

1) I don't actually care if they play to my whistle, it will be their funeral if they don't.
2) They should know by now to keep the language tame, if not they'll learn soon.
3) Again, if they don't know, they will soon.
4) Not my problem if they enjoy it or not.

My point is: why do you say any of this?

1) I don't actually care if they play to my whistle, it will be their funeral if they don't.
2) They should know by now to keep the language tame, if not they'll learn soon.
3) Again, if they don't know, they will soon.
4) Not my problem if they enjoy it or not.

My point is: why do you say any of this?

Why do I say it? Proactive management and setting some boundaries prior to the start of the game.

1) because I have CAR's for the most part who display varying skills and ability and at the level I ref at (and played for 20+ years at) the amount of times a flag goes up and players stop never ceases to amaze me
2) language tends to be a little industrial in the leagues I'm in, but I'm not going to jump on every single piece of swearing, either I'd end up playing a load of added time or 7 a side if that was the case
3) makes it easier to sell a card for dissent
4) maybe I'm old fashioned but I believe that people play sport for fun (certainly at the level I'm involved at).

It takes less than a minute to say, it's not like I'm giving them a 5 minute lecture!

I'm obviously less experienced than you and reffing at a lower level, if I was to progress to a higher standard of league, the content would change, however I have no aspirations to get anything beyond level 5 in the English pyramid, due to work and family commitments.

Check CAR's are ready and keepers and away we go for 90 minutes of fun :)

Just something that a mentor/assessor pointed out to me, why do you check to see if the keeper is ready?

I agree with everything else that you have said though and my pre match (coin toss) is very similar.

This sounds bad but CARs are a scapegoat. If you have them and you go with them, then the players blame them, not you (you can of course overrule them if it's obviously wrong) whereas if you choose to do offsides yourself then you are asking for trouble - I find it impossible to do offside as referee.

Back