A&H

tempers flare... dont get involved

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
is the lesson i learned on Sunday just gone... but not for fear of injury, but because i missed a send off, which i'm pretty disappointed about.
Blue v Orange, pre season 'friendly' .. 74th minute and only one caution up till then. Blue attacker gets tackled hard and fair by orange left back and they end up on top of each other. Orange on the bottom pushes blue off and as they get up blue starts throwing punches, and orange reacts well, just grabs the player by his shirt and holds him at arms length. i'm pretty close by so sprint over, on the whistle as loud as poss as i go, and attempt to seperate them, as i (wrongly) assumed that if i get them apart before anyone can react then we can avoid a mass con.
A blue player comes over the top of my shoulder to get a punch in so i back off to get a view of the whole situation. Thats the red i missed, by the time i'd turned and got distance, there were 2 more blues there and i couldnt be sure which one of them it was.
I did get 2 send offs and 2 cautions, but gutted i missed one.

The Referee Store
is the lesson i learned on Sunday just gone... but not for fear of injury, but because i missed a send off, which i'm pretty disappointed about.
Blue v Orange, pre season 'friendly' .. 74th minute and only one caution up till then. Blue attacker gets tackled hard and fair by orange left back and they end up on top of each other. Orange on the bottom pushes blue off and as they get up blue starts throwing punches, and orange reacts well, just grabs the player by his shirt and holds him at arms length. i'm pretty close by so sprint over, on the whistle as loud as poss as i go, and attempt to seperate them, as i (wrongly) assumed that if i get them apart before anyone can react then we can avoid a mass con.
A blue player comes over the top of my shoulder to get a punch in so i back off to get a view of the whole situation. Thats the red i missed, by the time i'd turned and got distance, there were 2 more blues there and i couldnt be sure which one of them it was.

I agree completely.... My story was a bit different, a summer tournament U-16 the reds captain is a good lad who up till that moment been very helpful and working with me throughout the day. A bit of frustration that's been building up as his team is losing causes him to react aggressively to the whites attacker who he just fouled. I was right there so i decided to go in and save him from himself i just stepped in and made the 'cardinal sin': I put my hands on him as i acted as a barrier and asked him to calm down and step aside with me.
He had no issues with it and complied, gave him a rundown for acting aggressively and reminded him that as a captain he need to be the leading example to his mates. I cautioned him and he apologised.
No one batted an eye except for one of the parents (who didn't turn out to be remotely related to the kid). He kept shouting keep your hands off the kids and you can't push them around like that. I know he is right and completely correct, he was threatening to speak to the organisers and have me thrown out.
I walk over, and asked the coach to join us. I apologised if my actions offended him and firmly explained that i didn't push anyone nor used any force of whatsoever, that I rather acted as a shield and saved the captain from getting involved in a mass con. I told him he's free to make his grievances heard with the organisers but i have a game to run and asked to kindly zip it or walk away.
after the game, the coach teased me by saying that he is right in what he said and that had they lost the game he would have made that complaint.

Lesson learnt for me, never getting involved at any level. They want to go at it like mad dogs i stand back watch and dish out the cards in the aftermath!!

Self-assessment is one of the best ways of learning Richard - well done. A couple of points from me:
  • Don't know how close you were to the incident, but if there is a hard tackle and players on top of each other, I'm sprinting over whilst on the whistle - that way, your right on top of the incident to manage accordingly (you may have done this though...).
  • Never try and separate players. Okay, Howard Webb use to - but you risk getting an elbow/head/fist in your direction, and it's only your fault. Instead, stand back, with a view of the incident, and use your voice/whistle/body language to manage accordingly.
  • Instead of turning around to get distance, instead consider using sideways and backwards movement to keep the incident and the volatile surrounding area in view at all times - this is your main focus point.

@drahc thanks

point 1 yes that was what i did but from thereon in i made the wrong choice in a split second
point 2 duly noted, and as the thread title suggests i'd kind of come to that conclusion anyway :)
point 3 appreciate the development point there... until you see these situations its sometimes difficult to find a spot to keep as many in view as possible... guess its not like we get to practice it in an out of game situation

i'd rather not see it happen again but i definitely feel like i'd be better equipped to handle it should it be necessary

Richard you can't see everything and please don't beat yourself over it.

Last season I had an U18 FL Academy game, in 89th minute at 1-2 I gave a free kick to the home team on the absolute edge of the area. It was one of those you are drawn to in your peripheral vision.

Now I give it as free kick and home want penalty so are protesting (the lad had fallen 5 yards inside). Anyway in this melee I had lost which CB had committed the foul and the booking that needed to come couldn't be dished out. Problem was one of them had been booked!

Anyway FT comes, Home manager approaches and before he says anything I say, 'if you're going to ask why there was no card then I completely hold my hands up I lost which player it was'. Turns out he was more interested in it being a penalty....but he did want the second yellow for the CB.

So realising he's angry, I calm matters by pointing to the gantry where it was being filmed and said, 'let's get a copy of video, if I'm wrong on the free kick I'll apologise'. Off he goes chuntering.

Anyway got the footage....I was right on the free kick by about 2 feet and luckily it was the other CB!

Moral of the story? I learnt to make sure I get the players number if it happens again. No harm was done because everyone would finish the game.

Next game something similar happened....I didn't lose the player!

Take the learnings....it's all you can do!

I had exactly the same situation a few seasons ago when the fist at the end of a yellow sleeve flew past my shoulder into an opponents face, and when i turned round to see 2 yellow shirted players behind me. At the time I did the same as you and took no action as surprise surprise no-one was admitting to throwing punch. Afterwards I wished I had just picked on one of the two and red carded him and left them to sort out mistaken identity if I had got the wrong one.

I had exactly the same situation a few seasons ago when the fist at the end of a yellow sleeve flew past my shoulder into an opponents face, and when i turned round to see 2 yellow shirted players behind me. At the time I did the same as you and took no action as surprise surprise no-one was admitting to throwing punch. Afterwards I wished I had just picked on one of the two and red carded him and left them to sort out mistaken identity if I had got the wrong one.
Yes, one of them would have walked......

Richard you can't see everything and please don't beat yourself over it.

Last season I had an U18 FL Academy game, in 89th minute at 1-2 I gave a free kick to the home team on the absolute edge of the area. It was one of those you are drawn to in your peripheral vision.

Now I give it as free kick and home want penalty so are protesting (the lad had fallen 5 yards inside). Anyway in this melee I had lost which CB had committed the foul and the booking that needed to come couldn't be dished out. Problem was one of them had been booked!

Anyway FT comes, Home manager approaches and before he says anything I say, 'if you're going to ask why there was no card then I completely hold my hands up I lost which player it was'. Turns out he was more interested in it being a penalty....but he did want the second yellow for the CB.

So realising he's angry, I calm matters by pointing to the gantry where it was being filmed and said, 'let's get a copy of video, if I'm wrong on the free kick I'll apologise'. Off he goes chuntering.

Anyway got the footage....I was right on the free kick by about 2 feet and luckily it was the other CB!

Moral of the story? I learnt to make sure I get the players number if it happens again. No harm was done because everyone would finish the game.

Next game something similar happened....I didn't lose the player!

Take the learnings....it's all you can do!

yep, certainly will... the only reason i'm down on myself is because i wouldnt have missed it had i been in the correct position and not fannying about with the 2 instigators!
and as far as your situation goes it sounds like you werent alone in not being able to identify the culprit at the time if the mnager wanted the CB walked
one thing i was pleased about with my scenario was that one of the cautions was for a player who wasnt displaying a number (substitute with shirt on inside out) who then removed his shirt completely whilst i was dealing with the others , presumably in an attempt to avoid a sanction... would have been easier for me to just crack on with the game, but i went and found him

I've gone in the middle of quite a few melles, I know its probably not right and ultimately if it really kicks off then get the hell out of it, but, the Dad in me kicks in and I've no problem in splitting two up and hoping someone helps with the other. I was always a bit unorthodox so please don't take my advice as FA advice. but I'm a big lad and my size and presence has helped in quite a few incidents.

Last edited:
Back