A&H

''That's a yellow ref''

Danwilliams

Level 7 Referee
had a game today under 15 red vs blue nothing to bad but in the 25th min blues tripped a player it was a reckless challenge no need for it so I blew my whistle I remembered the player number who committed the foul (as I was about to show them a yellow) while I went to see if the other player was ok but before I could shout the other player over one red player came to me and said that's a yellow ref so I told him to go away as I was dealing with it then called the player over and shown him the yellow

I felt like the players thought I only shown him a yellow because that player told me to which isn't the case i already had it in my head but wanted to see if the other player was ok first what would you guys do i hope i explained it well thanks for reading

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Sounds like you did fine, It's hard to prevent stuff like that. I feel the same in fact for appeals for fouls in general, for that you just need to be quick on the whistle. But if a player has stayed down you are obliged to check if he is okay, maybe as you're walking towards the player that's down, call the player that committed the foul over and then deal with him once you're done with the injury.

Its like offside. damned if u give it damned if u dont. cries of offside and when you give it "you're just listening to the shout".

Advice here if I can offer any, and I dont know if you did it, is vocally call out the offender on your way to the injured player... then everybody knows you're going to deal with it... something simple "blue 5 dont go too far please, I want to speak to you."

had a game today under 15 red vs blue nothing to bad but in the 25th min blues tripped a player it was a reckless challenge no need for it so I blew my whistle I remembered the player number who committed the foul (as I was about to show them a yellow) while I went to see if the other player was ok but before I could shout the other player over one red player came to me and said that's a yellow ref so I told him to go away as I was dealing with it then called the player over and shown him the yellow

I felt like the players thought I only shown him a yellow because that player told me to which isn't the case i already had it in my head but wanted to see if the other player was ok first what would you guys do i hope i explained it well thanks for reading

Yellow for BOTH players i think. Asking for a yellow is yellow too!

One way you could prevent this in the future is by pulling out either your book or a yellow card as you're walking over to check the injured player. Both teams will see that you've already made your mind up and as such won't ask for a yellow. However, this only works if you're certain it's a yellow and don't need any thinking time.

Sounds like you did fine, It's hard to prevent stuff like that. I feel the same in fact for appeals for fouls in general, for that you just need to be quick on the whistle. But if a player has stayed down you are obliged to check if he is okay, maybe as you're walking towards the player that's down, call the player that committed the foul over and then deal with him once you're done with the injury.
Totally agree with this as i do exactly that, although to make it more visual get your card wallet out and hold it in your hand, it shows the players what you are thinking of doing.

If I get that, I thank the player for his advice. When he gets the ball next, I shout "shooooooot" or "passsssss"... When he asks me to stop, I simply state I was telling him how to do his job, because he was telling me how to do mine.

Okay, maybe I'm telling a little porky here*

The key is saying load and clear for the offender to not walk off I want to speak to you.

Check the injured player is ok this also buys you thinking time, can decide if it's a yellow or a word and then take the necessary action when injured player is sorted.

Either a yellow or a verbal rollicking is easily sold as the everyone knew from the start knew some action was being taken.

This has got me thinking about something you hear every week: a dubious claim for a decision that's obviously going the other way, followed by "it's worth a try though, eh ref."

Now, seeing as they're pretty much admitting that they know the ball isn't theirs, would anyone consider that an attempt to cheat and issue a caution for USB?

This has got me thinking about something you hear every week: a dubious claim for a decision that's obviously going the other way, followed by "it's worth a try though, eh ref."

Now, seeing as they're pretty much admitting that they know the ball isn't theirs, would anyone consider that an attempt to cheat and issue a caution for USB?

good question ... maybe not on first occurrence, i guess it depends on how obviously wrong the claim was...
personally i like it as a point of banter, but i can see potential for it to get out of hand if everyone started chiming in with claims.
match temperature has to be a factor

I say to the player in those situations 'don't worry, I'm dealing with it and he is getting a yellow'. Therefore people know you made the decision

I never listen to appeals anyway, if he's getting one, he's getting one regardless of any appeal.... I certainly wouldn't get second thoughts if prompted to book someone by an opponent, if anything, he is getting a first and last warning that asking for yellows is also cautionable....

Get your book out on the way to checking the player, call on trainer, back away from situation keeping as many of the players in view as you can. Call the offender to you and book him. If he has cleared off he has to make the walk of shame and it buys you loads of time for the trainer to work their magic or decide a sub is needed. If you change your mind about a caution you can put the book away as he approaches and give him a stern chat.

Given people will always call for a foul before you can put whistle to a mouth or call for a card before you've had the chance to call a player over, is this scenario really all that different?
Your whistle tone and manner at the start shows that you're treating it seriously, which should help a little.

Given people will always call for a foul before you can put whistle to a mouth or call for a card before you've had the chance to call a player over, is this scenario really all that different?
Your whistle tone and manner at the start shows that you're treating it seriously, which should help a little.
That's an excellent point, and it's why assessors love you to be able to produce different types of whistle depending on the situation. If you've given a loud, angry blast, the offending player should already know that he's in for a telling-off at the very least.

Back