A&H

The first game in the uk

callmemyref

Hello everybody, some of you already know me. I’m football referee coming from abroad, in this weekend I’m going to have 3 adult games here in the UK.

I have officiated matches abroad so far, but I don’t have understanding of British football.

Please give me information about the football in the UK etc

The Referee Store
Hello everybody, some of you already know me. I’m football referee coming from abroad, in this weekend I’m going to have 3 adult games here in the UK.

I have officiated matches abroad so far, but I don’t have understanding of British football.

There are 22 players. Normally played on grass. Sometimes Plastic. Aim of the game is to put the leather ball in the opponents net more time than they do in yours.

Referee it exactly the same way as yo refereed it where you used to referee. My only tip is to read the competition rules so you know what is specific to that league. This is something you would have done even if you were to referee a new league in your country of origin.

also are these league games or friendlies?

take heed of what @one says, if they are league games and make sure you check the competition rules. they'll be on the league websites if needed

Only way to find out is by getting out there
More importantly, do let us know how the games go!! 😁

There are 22 players. Normally played on grass. Sometimes Plastic. Aim of the game is to put the leather ball in the opponents net more time than they do in yours.
Are there 2 balls in the game?
also are these league games or friendlies?

take heed of what @one says, if they are league games and make sure you check the competition rules. they'll be on the league websites if needed
Friendlies

dont worry about any over and above prep then,

your style of reffing will undoubtedly be different to what the teams are used to so over time you'll need to adapt (foul recognition and communication) but it'll come, exactly the same as any ref getting promoted and starting refereeing in a new league.

just go out there and take everything in, dont overthink it and dont force it! it'll come over time

I don't know where you have refereed before, but as es1 has said over time you might need to adapt your game. I've seen Spanish and Portuguese referees come to England and referee exactly the same as they would back home, in one case he had 8 cautions in a game that an English referee would have had, at most, 2, and not surprisingly he got a lot of grief and lost control. Whereas Northern European referees tend to adapt much faster as the refereeing styles are much more similar.

It would be worth you getting down to your local park to watch a grass roots game so you have an idea what to expect. Generally speaking in England more physical contact is expected and allowed and the game is more physical than most European countries. It is changing for the better, but there is also a lot more direct football played rather than short passing overseas.

Back