A&H

The Match Official Blog - 2nd pre-season Match

I was desperate to do more matches. I got an e-mail about pre-seasons friendly but I learnt quickly that referees are very quick off the mark and as soon as they get an e-mail about a pre-season friendly they reply within seconds. I missed out on a few - gutted!!

I decided to "advertise" the fact I was looking for pre-seasons games on Twitter in my local area and asked Kent FA and other people to re-tweet it. Within a couple of days a manager made contact with me asking if I was willing to do Under13games. 100% yes. Any game is always good for me. We exchanged a few tweets and direct messages and numbers. He phoned me up and I still didn't catch the teams names but that didn't really matter to me, I got a game. I remember speaking to the manager and remember him saying they play 4 20minute sessions. I thought this was strange as I have never done this before, but hey - it will be an experience.

The game was to be played on 17th July 2012 at 7pm KO at Cobdown Sports Centre. I know the location well so didnt need directions. When the game was confirmed i sent a text message to a colleague at working telling them that I will defiantly need to leave on time and her reply was that it could be interesting as most of my cioleagues will be out the office on different operational duties - PANTS. This caused me a few worries as I had promised to do a game as was very worried I could not get off work on time. The day before I had 1.5hrs overtime and I was praying that today would not be a repeat of that.

I get into work and thankfully there was no new work to do. I manged to do other bits of work and thankfully to my boss I left on time. I got home on time and didnt really need to get ready for about an hour or so. I arrive at the ground at 1800hrs. A few players are there and I see two adults setting up the nets. I walk over and one of them in the manager who I had been speaking to. We shake hands and have a brief chat. One of my 1st observations is that the pitch was really narrow and there were no corner arch's. He said he wanted to widen the pitch by 2 yards each side. I asked him how he was going to do this he said with cones. I was really unhappy with this as the pitch was already marked out with white lines and I expressed my concerns to him saying players could easily see the white line and thin the ball had gone out of play and pick the ball up and then it would be hand ball. I said we would play as it is now. He seemed a little upset/annoyed but accepted my explanation.

I ask the names of the two teams and again I am managing Maidstone United. I cant believe it. OK it maybe the Under 13's, but still they are representing the team I was a mascot for! They are aplying a team called Shelton Athletic from Surrey.

I speak to the home manager and ask about the 4 20minute sessions and at the age this is normally. Well this will be new to me. He told me to treat is as 4 separate half's.

I started my warm up with a run around the pitch and a few stretches. I suddenly notice I have made a massive fail. I am changed but i don't have ref socks on - ubber fail - i quickly run to my car and change. Thinking I am ready for the game I stand in the middle of the field and the away team captain approaches me and says hi. As if forgetting my socks was not bad enough this just topped it for me, 2 minutes to KO I suddenly notice I have not sorted out my assistants. I quickly sort them out settle down, sort the coin toss out and the game in under way.

The 1st 1/4 (I guess that what i will call it!) went well. Maidstone well defiantly the dominate team. I am not going to do a match report but overall I think I did well. Towards the end of the game (I think it was the 4th 1/4!!) a player went in with two feet. He did not going flying in from 10 feet away he was very close when he committed himself. I was feet away. I decided that a red card would be far to harsh for this. Yes it was a definite foul a Free kick. It could be argued I could have issued a yellow card. I had to take everything into account and the fact the most I had blown up for was a hand ball and a minor trip during the entire game. I had words with the player and said that he can not go in with two feet and he he was sorry straight away.

The full time score was Maidstone Utd 2 Shelton Athletic 3

Points I learnt:
1. Make sure I am proper ready and dressed before entering the FOP
2. Make sure I have sorted out AR at least 15min before KO.

3826774057252439822-5318108543889409494

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Blog slightly changed - mainly to correct some mistakes. Clearly v tired when writing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back