A&H

The whistle is needed to restart play for

JamesL

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Following an injury, should the whistle be used indicate play restarting, if the restart is a dropped ball?

Law (practical guidelines) says that the whistle IS needed to restart play following an injury.

But it is NOT needed for

most free kicks, and a goal kick, corner kick, throw-in or dropped ball

By my reckoning, after an injury stoppage you will always have one of the not needed restarts, which makes listing injury as a reason to restart as pointless. 🤷

Am I missing something?

The Referee Store
Nothing really covers it in the book.

For me, irrespective of whatever the restart is, if you've used your whistle to stop play then you blow again to restart.

Works for me. :)

I think the book does cover it, though not as crisply as it could. A whistle is not needed for most restarts, including DBs and TIs. But a whistle is needed to restart play after an injury/caution/sub. So the whistle following An injury isn’t for the restart, but for the fact play is starting after an injury, regardless of what the restart is. If that isn’t the reading, then the language about a whistle for an injury doesn’t mean anything. And it makes sense--after an injury or caution, the whistle is saying “yup, we’re ready to start playing again!” But there usually isn’t any need to whistle before a DB for, say, a DB because an extra ball was on the field or the ball went flat. All that said, I’m not losing any sleep if all the players are ready and waiting and the R doesn’t blow the required whistle before the DB, as the DB has a bit of formality to it anyway-x I think it is more important when it is a player initiated restart.

..."not needed" - terrible phrasing. It should say "optional" or a synonym for "mandatory".

I had this yesterday. Dropped ball to GK. Might not be obvious to everyone that play is restarting. Especially as I have to drop and run 40 yards. Whistle very useful. No surprises.

Surprise Surprise @JamesL you found contradictory wording in the LOTG 🤣

I'd go one step further, they make a substitution* before a goal kick, do we whistle for the goal kick restart or don't we? I think the answer to both our questions is how we interpret "not needed". Me thinks it does not mean it's forbidden. It means it is not required but you can if you wish (or otherwise needed).

*The real question here is since when referees "stop play for a substitution" as insinuated by the needed section?

This is another section of law that is worded poorly where they have written something but mean something else. Another problem is in current wording around whistle for injuries. Current wording requires a whistle only if "play is stoped for injury". What they mean is any restart after an injury. Play could well have been stopped for a free kick (not for the injury).

What it should read

• restart play after
    • it has been stopped for a caution or sending-off
    • injury
    • substitution

When we see PL referees blow the whistle to indicate a corner kick, I don't know why you're worrying? :p
There's a traditional reason for that, it is on tight ones where they have seen a deflection so they hit the whistle to make sure the AR doesn't signal a goal kick. Not really needed with comms kits, but I guess old habits die hard.

There's a traditional reason for that, it is on tight ones where they have seen a deflection so they hit the whistle to make sure the AR doesn't signal a goal kick. Not really needed with comms kits, but I guess old habits die hard.
But that's just poor communication/pre match isn't it?

Always been told to follow referee if last touch is nearer him and that he will follow me if touch is near me.

As an AR surely better to wait and see if in any doubt.

Seen it on may routine calls as well, as you say, maybe, like all of us, its hard to shake a 'bad' habit at times.

My own personal one is stopping when the ball get near the goal line and two players are challenging for it, its just an instinctive reaction I guess, the brain telling me its easier to assess whether the ball has gone out from a standing position rather than while running - but it annoys me every time I do it! :oops:

But that's just poor communication/pre match isn't it?

Always been told to follow referee if last touch is nearer him and that he will follow me if touch is near me.

As an AR surely better to wait and see if in any doubt.

Seen it on may routine calls as well, as you say, maybe, like all of us, its hard to shake a 'bad' habit at times.

My own personal one is stopping when the ball get near the goal line and two players are challenging for it, its just an instinctive reaction I guess, the brain telling me its easier to assess whether the ball has gone out from a standing position rather than while running - but it annoys me every time I do it! :oops:
I do it, also on throw-ins where has been a slight touch. As well as avoiding potential crosses it also can help to sell the decision. Would never do it on an obvious decision though, only where there has been a deflection that others might not have seen.

I do it, also on throw-ins where has been a slight touch. As well as avoiding potential crosses it also can help to sell the decision. Would never do it on an obvious decision though, only where there has been a deflection that others might not have seen.
Tbh I do it on the rare occasion... It makes everyone look at me and not at the AR who can retrospectively change their crossed flag if they went quick (in error) too.

..."not needed" - terrible phrasing. It should say "optional" or a synonym for "mandatory".

I had this yesterday. Dropped ball to GK. Might not be obvious to everyone that play is restarting. Especially as I have to drop and run 40 yards. Whistle very useful. No surprises.
Agreed.
Just following advice a ref got yesterday, I challenged it, but the observer was certain no whistle for DB restart.
Double checked to make sure I wasn't going mad. It's totally minor otherwise I might have got the book out there and then.

What I personally tend to do is blow the whistle before the procedure to signify right we are ready to restart take up positions, rather than blow, drop as I see some do.

It seems really messy to me if you whistle for a dropped ball restart. The ball’s in play when it touches the ground so at what point would you blow? No whistle required for me.

It seems really messy to me if you whistle for a dropped ball restart. The ball’s in play when it touches the ground so at what point would you blow? No whistle required for me.
The same as a free kick, or any other restart. The whistle doesn't signify ball in play, it signifies we are ready to restart. The ball is in play once, after the whistle if it is required, the correct restart procedure is completed e.g. ball kicks and clearly moves, ball touches the floor.
Many refs blow it as they are about to drop it, which I try to avoid, but will whistle to tell everyone to get ready.

Last edited:
The same as a free kick, or any other restart. The whistle doesn't signify ball in play, it signifies we are ready to restart. The ball is in play once, after the whistle, the correct restart procedure is completed e.g. ball kicks and clearly moves, ball touches the floor.
Many refs blow it as they are about to drop it, which I try to avoid, but will whistle to tell everyone to get ready.
F***ing excellent info. Appreciate you.

I find it confusing on dropped-balls to be honest.

Had an observer at Level 4 tell me to "save my whistle" at dropped balls. Didn't mark me down for it. Had 2-3 games, where confusion arises at every dropped ball with players not knowing we're back in play (especially in the case of a head injury, which could halt the game for a couple of minutes).

Was then on the line for a Level 3 referee, who blew the whistle for his dropped balls, making it more confusing.

I think the players expect it and realize play is restarting when it happens. Usually blow the whistle and drop the ball that second, and it makes everything clearer.

I know it is things like, always whistle after an injury, caution etc... Even if a dropped ball. But using your voice for normal other things is what is expected.

For me, irrespective of whatever the restart is, if you've used your whistle to stop play then you blow again to restart.
I agree with @Kes here and this is how I do it! But I don't use the whistle to signal a drop ball restart.

So for example, if the ball hits my legs and possession changes, I'll blow my whistle to stop play. But won't blow it again for the drop ball.

I think I'd do the same for an injury restart drop ball in most cases given everybody on both teams are ready. If I ever felt like these was a chance not everybody was paying full attention, I probably wouldn't proceed with the drop ball!

I also don't think I've ever seen a whistle for a drop ball restart in the pros. Rules may be different for lower levels but that's where I take most of my queues haha.

So the whistle following An injury isn’t for the restart, but for the fact play is starting after an injury, regardless of what the restart is.
@socal lurker Just read your comment and it makes total sense. Whistle for the injury restart, not the drop ball. Got it. Thanks for that clarification!

Back