A&H

This took me completely off guard

Andy A

Hi, as some of you may know I did my first game today.

However a strange incident took place that no amount of training/ref courses prepared me for.

Home and away player both slide in fairly, home gets the ball, but he then has it between his legs at knee height, then he starts hopping with the bloody thing! :D :D

I thought somebody is going to smash him knee high any second here so quickly blew my whistle.

My restart of play was a drop ball, please tell me this was correct?

The Referee Store
Hi, as some of you may know I did my first game today.

However a strange incident took place that no amount of training/ref courses prepared me for.

Home and away player both slide in fairly, home gets the ball, but he then has it between his legs at knee height, then he starts hopping with the bloody thing! :D :D

I thought somebody is going to smash him knee high any second here so quickly blew my whistle.

My restart of play was a drop ball, please tell me this was correct?
The answer is in your own comment. He acted in a way that endangered himself or others, i.e. dangerous play = IDFK to his opponents

The answer is in your own comment. He acted in a way that endangered himself or others, i.e. dangerous play = IDFK to his opponents

Thanks Brian, as I say I was completely clueless on what to do.

All part of the learning process though. Thanks again.

Unless he is genuinely trying to get up and just gets the ball stuck under him it would be an indirect free kick to the opponents. If he hasn't don't anything wrong and you stop play just to protect him (and yourself) then you can get away with a dropped ball.

Unless he is genuinely trying to get up and just gets the ball stuck under him it would be an indirect free kick to the opponents. If he hasn't don't anything wrong and you stop play just to protect him (and yourself) then you can get away with a dropped ball.

Thanks for your thoughts. He was bunny hopping up the field, so as Brian said IDFK to the opposition seems the right decision.

I agree, IDFK (as no foul has taken place) but i would have gone for "circumventing the laws of the game"," unfairly holding the ball" i have given an IDFK before a few seasons back in a Youth game for said same occasion.

No one's considering that by law, yellow might have been correct there? If he's either causing danger to himself or circumventing the law, a caution would technically seem to be mandatory if the referee's had to stop play?

No one's considering that by law, yellow might have been correct there? If he's either causing danger to himself or circumventing the law, a caution would technically seem to be mandatory if the referee's had to stop play?
No you have things the wrong way around. The restart after play is stopped solely to administer a caution or dismissal is an IDFK. Just because you award an IDFK does not mean you have to caution. You do not have to caution for every act of dangerous play.

No you have things the wrong way around. The restart after play is stopped solely to administer a caution or dismissal is an IDFK. Just because you award an IDFK does not mean you have to caution. You do not have to caution for every act of dangerous play.
I thought "circumventing the law" at least was a mandatory yellow - or is that only in the case where you're attempting to pass back to the GK to get around the passback law? It might just be mikedn's choice of words that's throwing me off here...

Haaaaaang on..! This happened to me a couple of seasons ago as AR. I flagged, ref went with me. Everyone confused and when I explained to the assessor and ref at the end, I was told I was wrong..!

I thought "circumventing the law" at least was a mandatory yellow - or is that only in the case where you're attempting to pass back to the GK to get around the passback law? It might just be mikedn's choice of words that's throwing me off here...

And there in lies the confusion. It's not an IDFK for circumventing the LOTG, it's an IDFK for endangering the safety of himself or other players.

I had this question off a friend today and I was sitting with a course tutor and in law your perfectly fine in to play on but what I would give there in this case is a drop ball and let them contest for it

I agree, IDFK (as no foul has taken place) but i would have gone for "circumventing the laws of the game"," unfairly holding the ball" i have given an IDFK before a few seasons back in a Youth game for said same occasion.

"Circumventing the law" only applies in relation to avoiding being penalised for a deliberate pass to the Goalkeeper and is a mandatory yellow.
In the instance described I agree that you could give an IDFK for PIADM (no caution necessary) or the old standby "shows a lack of respect for the game" where a caution is mandatory.

"Circumventing the law" only applies in relation to avoiding being penalised for a deliberate pass to the Goalkeeper and is a mandatory yellow.
In the instance described I agree that you could give an IDFK for PIADM (no caution necessary) or the old standby "shows a lack of respect for the game" where a caution is mandatory.
For me personally i would have considered holding the ball in between the knees as "circumventing the laws of the game" and awarded an IDFK ......

For me personally i would have considered holding the ball in between the knees as "circumventing the laws of the game" and awarded an IDFK ......
Which law is he circumventing?

Whereas I have page 83 of LotG 2016-17 which states

Playing in a dangerous manner
Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

Back