A&H

Thoughts.....

The Referee Store
For me, red card for serious foul play. Ill timed, high (above the ankle) and studs showing. The fact the ''commentator'' refers to it as a ''leg breaker'' says it all in my opinion. I would have no issue getting the red out there.

Ball doesn't actually go out as far as I can see.
RC for SFP
DFK on the boundary line.

(What I note here is that last week's ref is using the sin bin to avoid making difficult decisions about disciplinary sanctions)

Pedants' Pedant's Pedantry Corner - this isn't the 'sin bin', this is just the referee not doing his job properly. I've known referees get suspended for allowing this in pre-season games.

Am I the only one that sees this as just a trip/kick out? It's not excessive in the slightest. Yellow card perfectly warranted but it's not a red card offence. Maybe it's the way I'm looking at it, but it certainly doesn't tick the boxes of a red card offence for me.

As for the referee, he just walks over to the group... I'd be running in, blowing my whistle and getting a closer look!!!!

Am I the only one that sees this as just a trip/kick out? It's not excessive in the slightest. Yellow card perfectly warranted but it's not a red card offence. Maybe it's the way I'm looking at it, but it certainly doesn't tick the boxes of a red card offence for me.

As for the referee, he just walks over to the group... I'd be running in, blowing my whistle and getting a closer look!!!!
ive literally just watched it, and i'm not sure you watching the same challenge ? you can see the fella make contact about two thirds of the way up the players shin... and in the slo-mo that follows you can see the bend of the leg, outside to in, before he goes over.... its on 5:48 on the video (not the match clock)

Ohh hang on.... Yep, I was talking about the sin-bin challenge at the start of the five minute mark.

:redcard:

Friendly or not, that is a definite red card! Referee has completely shunned his responsibilities there. Bloody sin bin for that?!? His leg could have divorced his knee there!!!

Last edited:
Not at any point do the "highlights" show the ref doing anything other than walking/strolling

I am 100% anti match officials wearing glasses during a game, a player cant wear them because they could be a danger to themselves or someone else, so the referee should following suit too. Especially a referee as immobile as this one, chances are pretty high of getting a ball to the face. And yes someone will jump in with " a watch", required by the referee for timing. If players can wear wrap round/safety specs, then, the match official should be capable of purchasing them also.

The "sin bin" trial does not start until 2017/2018 and is only for dissent, the match commentator makes reference in the clip to this game being part of the "ending"" season, so, sin bin is completely wrong and not even in the match officials remit. Its akin to the referee making up a new law, as its not yet in use and wont be until season 2017/2018 starts. This game by admission of the commentator is still part of the pervious/current season.
The referee would have been as well showing a home made amber card, as what he has displayed here is not part of the LOTG.

he needs a new whistle too.

The reddest challenge I've seen in a while.

That ref looks very much like someone who is only in it for the money

I am 100% anti match officials wearing glasses during a game, a player cant wear them because they could be a danger to themselves or someone else, so the referee should following suit too.

. I ref wearing glasses but wearing a band to keep them in place. If I get a ball in the face I have a spare pair in my bag. I have made an U14 girl GK put a band on as she would potentially be diving around and they could come off.

The problem with players wearing glasses isn't that they might fall off, it is the risk of injury to the wearer, and other players, should they get broken during play.

That's why IFAB say they should wear sports glasses which have hardened lenses etc.

I personally wear my contacts when refereeing, but I appreciate that this isn't always an option for people.

But aside from the image of a referee turning up and running around in glasses, how do you stop them misting up, or having rain etc obscuring your vision?

I know you can wipe them off at a break in play, but it only takes a second where your vision is obscured for you to miss a KMI etc.

. I ref wearing glasses but wearing a band to keep them in place. If I get a ball in the face I have a spare pair in my bag. I have made an U14 girl GK put a band on as she would potentially be diving around and they could come off.
GK with glasses on is a very bad idea.

I, like it seem like most of you lot see this as only one thing, however, players (and this Herbert refereeing) do look at certain incidents very very differently.
Blow up here and show him the correct card and you've 'spoiled the game' 'its all about you' 'weekend warrior', I'm sure you can think of a few more too. We correctly do the right thing here and you antagonise probably 95% of the players on show who see a foul, maybe a yellow but don't see the seriousness like we apparently do....Break his ankle / leg and it suddenly dawns on them WHY!!!!

I, like it seem like most of you lot see this as only one thing, however, players (and this Herbert refereeing) do look at certain incidents very very differently.
Blow up here and show him the correct card and you've 'spoiled the game' 'its all about you' 'weekend warrior', I'm sure you can think of a few more too. We correctly do the right thing here and you antagonise probably 95% of the players on show who see a foul, maybe a yellow but don't see the seriousness like we apparently do....Break his ankle / leg and it suddenly dawns on them WHY!!!!

Fair point, but probably a telling thing here is that the camera has the absolute perfect angle to judge just how dangerous that tackle was. The lack of any reaction from the referee and the opposing players suggest to me that it didn't look anywhere near as bad from other positions. Although I equally suspect that the referee just isn't very good ..:p

I sent a player off in a friendly between a Ryman Premier and Conference South team a few years ago for a shocker of a tackle. It was right in front of the benches and the home manager went ballistic at the tackle, yet as soon as I pulled the red out he had a right go at me for ruining the game as they now had to play against 10. He got even more irate when I refused his request of letting him stay on. You just need to do what is right and to hell with what the players and managers think.

Back