A&H

Threadbare kit

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Was at a game earlier at a local large soccer centre type place (about 7 full size grass pitches, 3 junior and a large 3G setup too).

In the refs changing there's a few of us in there for various games, in comes an older fella.

Without trying to sound catty I genuinely thought he was a plumber. Came in with a very small bag with what looked like 2 pipes sticking out the top.

Anyway, he commenced getting changed into a massively faded brown kit (even very light brown at that), then took the pipes out (turns out they were flags) with wooden handles and poles.

The material on the flags was equally brown, clearly at least a decade old and heavily covered in mud.

My question is does this look as bad as I thought or am I just being a bit judgemental?

The Referee Store
When I walked in I thought I looked very smart in my nice suit and tie! I did clock the brownish kit though. Good to see you today pal.

You too mate. Looked like you had a spring in your step.

Must have known you'd avoided that horrific weather!

The wooden flags are the ones the RA shop used to sell. If they're CAR flags then they're about the baseline quality to give them...

The wooden flags are the ones the RA shop used to sell. If they're CAR flags then they're about the baseline quality to give them...
I agree with this, there's no point in giving CARs good gear. RegalRef has a point though, the other ref was a bit scruffy and the kit was several years old. Also, why would someone not put their muddy flags in the wash with dirty kit? Not the sticks; obviously!

I agree with this, there's no point in giving CARs good gear. RegalRef has a point though, the other ref was a bit scruffy and the kit was several years old. Also, why would someone not put their muddy flags in the wash with dirty kit? Not the sticks; obviously!

I agree with not giving CAR'S your best kit to get thrown on the floor, but the foam handled cheap flags are only £8 and were much better quality than the wooden things.

Sure these things must hurt his match control even if he doesn't realise it!

I arrived at my game last Sunday to be greeted with , "crikey ref , you're well turned out, not like X last week, he looked like he'd crawled out of a skip!"
Now, I know X ... He's a decent fella and I've never seen him have match control issues over the years so I just laughed it off and said ta I feel bad in hindsight I should have defended him but tbh he had a point and I couldn't think of anything immediately ... Sorrrrry X

I arrived at my game last Sunday to be greeted with , "crikey ref , you're well turned out, not like X last week, he looked like he'd crawled out of a skip!"
Now, I know X ... He's a decent fella and I've never seen him have match control issues over the years so I just laughed it off and said ta I feel bad in hindsight I should have defended him but tbh he had a point and I couldn't think of anything immediately ... Sorrrrry X

I'd just take the compliment, the player doesn't know that you know that ref and let's face it, how often to players have anything nice to say to us :eek:

I have this often when I turn up to official suit and tie games @richard ramjane , always get the odd 'bloody hell ref, looking a bit dapper aren't we!' or 'loving the suit ref, loving it!' always bring a cheeky smile to my face!

Saturday just gone, had me and the ref turn up, all nice suited and booted - respective ties on (I had my CFA, he had his FA as he is L4) both hair all done, nice watch, cufflinks ... loving it. 2nd AR turns up - no CFA tie, no suit, shirt untucked and no top button, tie all loose, pair of pumps, baggy jeany/trousers on and a ill fitted jacket with a carrier bag of his gear - now, he was a good lino on the pitch but, for me if I was the teams - it just looked awful and probably let us, as a team of 3, down a little!

my mum always says you can never re-do a first impression!

Saturday just gone, had me and the ref turn up, all nice suited and booted - respective ties on (I had my CFA, he had his FA as he is L4) both hair all done, nice watch, cufflinks ... loving it. 2nd AR turns up - no CFA tie, no suit, shirt untucked and no top button, tie all loose, pair of pumps, baggy jeany/trousers on and a ill fitted jacket with a carrier bag of his gear - now, he was a good lino on the pitch but, for me if I was the teams - it just looked awful and probably let us, as a team of 3, down a little!

Not only that Charlie, but the ref should have said something as this is against the Essex Senior League rules - it's a Step 5 league so every official should know the minimum standards. Don't know the guy in question, but maybe he wasn't aware (not much of an excuse) so needs to be told.

oh I do definitely agree, tbh I think he did - AR was 1/2 hour late to the refs request (I was 15 early!) and he already said he was reporting him, for the 2nd time apparently ... shambles as this AR is LEVEL 5

Back