A&H

Throw in from wrong location sanction and restart

A team is 1-0 down in final minutes. Throw is awarded to losing team. A player runs forward 5 meters from where throw is awarded. They are warned to go back prior to taking the throw. They quickly step back but again move forward before taking the throw. What is the sanction and restart?

The Referee Store
A team is 1-0 down in final minutes. Throw is awarded to losing team. A player runs forward 5 meters from where throw is awarded. They are warned to go back prior to taking the throw. They quickly step back but again move forward before taking the throw. What is the sanction and restart?
No sanction, throw in to opposition
Delaying the restart is not a factor from your description. The difficult thing is determining what represents a trivial infarction, but once a public warning has been issued, it's quite reasonable to penalise the player for taking the throw from the wrong place

of course no distance is quoted in the good book

when you say move forward, have you first got them back to the correct spot?
if so, if they then take it 5m, lets even say 2.5m forward, you have a credible awarding to the opponent. Bit harsh to penalise them if they take it from slightly forward, because am guessing the rest of the game has been littered with slightly flexible restarts

or, be smart and proactive, when directing the thrower back to the desired spot, accidently on purpose put them back further than the exact spot.
they can then make their routine display of moving slightly forward, and will throw from near enough where they should have in the first place.

Going to take a throw-in from the wrong place is game management 101. You'll either gain yards up the field , or get sent back and waste some time.
You'll even get some throw-in takers asking if this is the correct place...

In the OPs scenario you're probably better of just letting then take it.

If it were a free kick taken from the wrong place to waste time it's cautions for delaying the restart, that doesn't apply to throw-ins presumably because they get turned over.

Going to take a throw-in from the wrong place is game management 101. You'll either gain yards up the field , or get sent back and waste some time.

If it were a free kick taken from the wrong place to waste time it's cautions for delaying the restart, that doesn't apply to throw-ins presumably because they get turned over.

If you are planning caution the losing team for delaying the restart of play this weekend, can you furnish us with your venue and ko time so we can witness the aftermath?

in the OP tho, 5 metres forward is a lot. They score from the knock on, you are getting chased off the pitch. And understandably. No reason at all to compromise the last few mins of the game here.

Nothing in the LOTG says that deliberately going to the wrong space to take a TI in order to waste time can't be a caution for DR--a TI is a restart. But once the ball is actually thrown, the restart has taken place and it no longer makes sense to think to caution. The time that would perhaps get to a DR in a related scenario would be if the player moved up to where he had been sent back from and still didn't throw, waiting instead to be sent back again.

(But I don't think the OP is really about delaying--I think @Middle Man was pondering whether there should be some sanction such as USB or dissent for ignoring the instruction. But as others have said, no, it's just a TI to the other team. )

As an aside, whether I'm even worrying about that five yards is going to depend on where the TI is. In the attacking third, sure; in the back third, I'm probably not even going to notice.

Nothing in the LOTG says that deliberately going to the wrong space to take a TI in order to waste time can't be a caution for DR--a TI is a restart. But once the ball is actually thrown, the restart has taken place and it no longer makes sense to think to caution. The time that would perhaps get to a DR in a related scenario would be if the player moved up to where he had been sent back from and still didn't throw, waiting instead to be sent back again.

(But I don't think the OP is really about delaying--I think @Middle Man was pondering whether there should be some sanction such as USB or dissent for ignoring the instruction. But as others have said, no, it's just a TI to the other team. )

As an aside, whether I'm even worrying about that five yards is going to depend on where the TI is. In the attacking third, sure; in the back third, I'm probably not even going to notice.

The key here might be an oversight....5 metres....

If you are planning caution the losing team for delaying the restart of play this weekend, can you furnish us with your venue and ko time so we can witness the aftermath?

in the OP tho, 5 metres forward is a lot. They score from the knock on, you are getting chased off the pitch. And understandably. No reason at all to compromise the last few mins of the game here.

😂😂. Misread it obviously.

Yes, it was more comparing it to the free kick taken from the wrong place being a caution and wondering if throw-ins taken deliberately taken from the wrong place aren't cautions because the throw-in can be turned over.

Had a mind fart and thought the takers teams were 1-0 up.

Eithe

My tolerance for TI location is about 2-3 meters but I can ignore 5 under some circumstances.
In the specific case of OP, the team is trailing 1-0 and if I am not willing to ignore advancing 5 meters, I would keep telling them to go back untill they get it. The fact that the delay is costing them time they can't afford is punishment enough, and for me better management than allowing them to take it and then turning it over.

They are always going to take a run up at a throw, so my advice would be when you get them back make sure you take that into account But to be honest I'm only really getting involved there if people are complaining, it isn't really that much of a distance.

Reactions: Kes
I try and use my own position to dictate where they throw from. I initially tell them ‘in line with me’ and then I jog into position but if I can see they are taking the mick, I’ll say to them ‘if you want a run up, go back further’.

One of the best tips I picked up from a more senior referee was to change my wording to players on throw ins from "from there" to "start there"

You're giving yourself a bit more leeway by using start there as opposed to a firm line that they shouldn't cross.

to add, as slack as it sounds, am rarely watching the throw anyway, far more concerned with where the intended ball is going.
I would like to think if the distance was outrageous i would spot it

Hmm. I'm not so convinced on that one--some players do a standing throw and some do a running throw. But we all do what works for us.

A top tip I received was to let the thrower know “level with me, no further”
Typically they know where the mark is and if they start moving up the line I reiterate
“You know where the mark is, let’s go back please, no further”

A top tip I received was to let the thrower know “level with me, no further”
Typically they know where the mark is and if they start moving up the line I reiterate
“You know where the mark is, let’s go back please, no further”

But aa ref we want to be positioned with optimum view on the next phase of play, catching pushes, pulls, offside from the knock on etc

" level with ms" is well past its sell by date and is for a referee not thinking ahead.

think about it logically too, please nobody takes up a position in line with where the ball should be thrown in from, 2, 6, 18, yards from defending goal line.
or ball battered around in midfield, opponent blasts it to defending team sideline, no attackers go in close, you have no need to get in line with thrower.

even throw to attackers from six yards out with it being launched into the box, you are restricting your view of the next ( now crucial) passage of play and are giving yourself no chance when the gk comes to claim and punts it clear

it might be beneficial at one point in the game but its horrendous advice

Last edited:
But aa ref we want to be positioned with optimum view on the next phase of play, catching pushes, pulls, offside from the knock on etc

" level with ms" is well past its sell by date and is for a referee not thinking ahead.

think about it logically too, please nobody takes up a position in line with where the ball should be thrown in from, 2, 6, 18, yards from defending goal line.
or ball battered around in midfield, opponent blasts it to defending team sideline, no attackers go in close, you have no need to get in line with thrower.

even throw to attackers from six yards out with it being launched into the box, you are restricting your view of the next ( now crucial) passage of play and are giving yourself no chance when the gk comes to claim and punts it clear

Not really.

I get what you're saying, but all the ref needs to do is indicate by his position (and verbally) where the throw needs to be taken from. As soon as he's done that, he can be off and running to where he thinks he needs to be either before the throw is taken or whilst it's in the air.
The majority of throw ins only travel 10-15 yards max anyway...

How far are players throwing it in your game? Most throws in games I referee are probably only 15-20 yards, and unless they're "working the line", that's at an angle as well, so probably only maximum 15 yards forwards. I'm perfectly happy saying "level with me" in the knowledge that I can start my jog as the thrower is in his run-up and comfortably be 10-15 yards away from the drop zone at a decent angle by the time the ball arrives.

And I don't think anyone has ever done "level with me" for attacking throws in and around the PA. In those situations it's always "level with the PA/penalty spot/6-yard box" as the instruction and then you as the referee take up the correct position. It's only horrendous advice if followed religiously to the letter and without any movement or common sense.

How far are players throwing it in your game? Most throws in games I referee are probably only 15-20 yards, and unless they're "working the line", that's at an angle as well, so probably only maximum 15 yards forwards. I'm perfectly happy saying "level with me" in the knowledge that I can start my jog as the thrower is in his run-up and comfortably be 10-15 yards away from the drop zone at a decent angle by the time the ball arrives.

And I don't think anyone has ever done "level with me" for attacking throws in and around the PA. In those situations it's always "level with the PA/penalty spot/6-yard box" as the instruction and then you as the referee take up the correct position. It's only horrendous advice if followed religiously to the letter and without any movement or common sense.

ideal for the side on throw

and for the throw where the guys going to take a ten yard run up before hitting the spot to release?

suppose if it works for you, as ever, great.

imo, horrendous advice. Perfectly managable with a shout ' thats you fine there', a whistle if you see fit.
absolutely no need for us to be in line with the throw and as ever regional variations apply but unless someone learns their course in a tardis here, its antiquated

Back