A&H

Timekeeping Error

It's a strange one though as I've seen (more than once) a question about an indirect free kick taken and scored directly from when the referee has forgot to raise his hand to signal that it was indirect.

I presumed originally that the answer would be goal kick as the free kick is indirect whether the referee forgot to signal it or not, but the answer is that you would retake the indirect free kick.
The rerake is in Law 13.

The Referee Store
It's a strange one though as I've seen (more than once) a question about an indirect free kick taken and scored directly from when the referee has forgot to raise his hand to signal that it was indirect.

I presumed originally that the answer would be goal kick as the free kick is indirect whether the referee forgot to signal it or not, but the answer is that you would retake the indirect free kick.
This is explicitly written in law though, which what I am getting at, the scenario in that question doesn't have a clear answer. You have to apply some logic, which gets you to the wrong answer, according to the quiz, or in your case the right answer. 🤪

The rerake is in Law 13.

This is explicitly written in law though, which what I am getting at, the scenario in that question doesn't have a clear answer. You have to apply some logic, which gets you to the wrong answer, according to the quiz, or in your case the right answer. 🤪

Yeah I know that one is in law, but my point was that it's a case of 'what to do if the referee has messed up'. If that one is in law, why shouldn't the other situations be also?

Last edited:
Well, gee, are you going to make the list of every possible referee mistake to get them all in the magic book?! The IFK intto the goal I signaled is unique and about the unfairness of the referee error to the team that shoots because they think it is direct.

Well, gee, are you going to make the list of every possible referee mistake to get them all in the magic book?! The IFK intto the goal I signaled is unique and about the unfairness of the referee error to the team that shoots because they think it is direct.
No, but I just find it interesting that there is reference to that one but not many others.

And I reckon less than 20% of players even know what the raised arm means and what offences result in an IDFK. I had someone try to catch the keeper off his line from an offside free kick a couple of months ago! I'd have loved to have seen it go in 😆

Screenshot_20240304-153051.png
Here is the questions with options available in the quiz.
Screenshot_20240306-074932.png
And here is what IFAB said.

To that end I have to accept this is what should be done in this situation.

My personal thoughts were either play 40 2nd half for "2 equal halves" or playing 45 mins and report missing 5 minutes to competition after the fact.

I put weight in that a referee can't change a decision or restart if play has restarted or after he has left field of play and that the 2nd half shouldn't be extended.

I feel the outcome does the latter in a roundabout kind of way but I now know that I basically just need to make sure I don't ever not play enough time to ensure I am not in this situation.

View attachment 7189
Here is the questions with options available in the quiz.
View attachment 7187
And here is what IFAB said.

To that end I have to accept this is what should be done in this situation.

My personal thoughts were either play 40 2nd half for "2 equal halves" or playing 45 mins and report missing 5 minutes to competition after the fact.

I put weight in that a referee can't change a decision or restart if play has restarted or after he has left field of play and that the 2nd half shouldn't be extended.

I feel the outcome does the latter in a roundabout kind of way but I now know that I basically just need to make sure I don't ever not play enough time to ensure I am not in this situation.
Obviously important to inform both trams of your error before proceeding.

Else you risk derailing the whole scenario ....

Back