A&H

To be reported ?

Chrisp72

Always smiling
Little digs got to me tonight 30th minute green slides in studs showing catches blue calls player over issues a caution tells player to calm down player accepts walks away coach and assistants not happy shout over "what was that for ref your joking" so ignore them .
65 minute green in race with blue defender ball runs through to keeper who picks it up green turns to me and shouts at me "are you blind he's all over me" I stop play calls player over tells him I didn't see anything that constituted a foul he says " your a joke" books him for dissent coach shouts" don't worry about the yellow I'm going to put a report in"at this point keeper puts ball down green goes to get ball keeper picks the ball up coach then goes ballistic " ref ref he can't do that pick the ball up then put it down " tells him I had stopped play to deal with his player says he didn't see me stop the game would not back down .
Game finishes get my things and leave the field 5 teenage girls then start laughing and pointing at me as I get in my car roadside felt a bit dejected although I feel as I did nothing wrong threatened with a report ruined my night

The Referee Store
Chin up matey, we all have nights like that. Their opinion is not necessarily a reflection of how you performed. So as hard as it may be, ignore it; take their comments on their face value.

How do you rate your performance yourself? Do you feel you missed something? What did you do well? What went great for you? Remember that, and then think about what you could have done differently as future development. From the description you wrote I don't see anything went amiss!!! So cheer up buddy

I'd echo what Nabil said above - it certainly doesn't sound like you were particularly wrong with your decisions, but perhaps use it as an opportunity to look at the way you communicated your decisions and think about how clear you were? Also don't forget that it's within your power to warn and/or send away a coach if he's being constantly disruptive and undermining you, same as you would with players who are dissenting on the pitch.

Also, I really wouldn't worry about any "report". Even on the off chance he can work out who to send it to and what to write, he'll probably have lost interest by then. And even if he does send it and it finds it's way somewhere appropriate, I've never heard of any serious action being taken off the back of a single "poor performance" report. Keep your head up, stay professional, do a good job in the next few matches and it'll have been completely forgotten about in a month or two.

player accepts walks away coach and assistants not happy shout over "what was that for ref your joking" so ignore them .
Most games have one (or more) 'turning points' which can either reinforce your match control or start a downward spiral. It reads to me like this was a big one. Maybe, in a future similar scenario, consider taking this opportunity to calmly and slowly walk across to the green bench and politely warn them about their behaviour. This both takes the heat out of the game and also emphasises to all concerned that you won't be taking any s**t,

at this point keeper puts ball down green goes to get ball keeper picks the ball up coach then goes ballistic " ref ref he can't do that pick the ball up then put it down " tells him I had stopped play to deal with his player says he didn't see me stop the game

I'm confused about the above. The keeper put it down and then picked it back up again? How did you restart play after stopping the game to deal with the green player?

Just remember, you'll find it impossible to please 22+ people so just don't try. Referee to what you see, to the best of your ability and against the LOTG and its a job well done.

I'm confused about the above. The keeper put it down and then picked it back up again? How did you restart play after stopping the game to deal with the green player?

Just remember, you'll find it impossible to please 22+ people so just don't try. Referee to what you see, to the best of your ability and against the LOTG and its a job well done.
Hi pal keeper has hold of the ball then I stop play to deal with dissent during this keeper apparently puts ball down attacker then goes to get it but keeper picks ball back up then coach kicks up . I restart play with indirect free kick to defending team

Although if the dissent was bad enough to make you stop the game, a yc would seem appropriate
Other than that, wait till next stoppage in play then deal with the dissent

Dissent is an offence against a match official, so restart should be a DFK.

Law 12:
If the ball is in play and a player commits an offence inside the field of play against:
  • an opponent – indirect or direct free kick or penalty kick
  • a team-mate, substitute, substituted player, team official or a match official – a direct free kick or penalty kick

I've been told this is one that's been checked with the IFAB, although I haven't done that myself (it was a Referee Tutor Developer who told me).

I've been told this is one that's been checked with the IFAB, although I haven't done that myself (it was a Referee Tutor Developer who told me).
Looks like I got restart wrong will remember that in future thanks for that

No, you can only award a dfk for a physical offence against a match official.

For dissent the restart is an IDFK. IFAB released a circular confirming this earlier in the 16/17 season, and I understand this will be in the lotg from next season to make this clearer

No, you can only award a dfk for a physical offence against a match official.

For dissent the restart is an IDFK. IFAB released a circular confirming this earlier in the 16/17 season, and I understand this will be in the lotg from next season to make this clearer

That had been my view as well, but took what I was told as true.

You're right about it being clear in the 2017/18 laws. A line has been added for it.

That had been my view as well, but took what I was told as true.

You're right about it being clear in the 2017/18 laws. A line has been added for it.
It was also in the FAQs on the IFAB website as of last June.

IFAB has been providing a lot of self-educating tools since they released the revised Laws last year. It's well worth poking through their entire website to read the various documents contained therein.

As mentioned above, it was made clear in the FAQ's which were published on the IFAB website at the same time as the 2016-17 Laws came out, that dissent cannot be punished by a DFK. The FAQ's had the following:
Q6: Why is an offence against someone who is not an opponent now a direct free kick? Does this include dissent/offensive language?
If, for example, a player strikes a team-mate, substitute, team official or, perhaps even worse, a match official this is serious but only restarting with an IDFK suggested that the offence was not serious so it is now a direct free kick for any offence (directly) against anyone (except an opponent). This does not include dissent/offensive language etc. as this is not a direct/physical offence against a person (see below).

Q7: What is the restart of the referee stops play for dissent/offensive language etc.?
If the referee stops play to penalise a player for dissent/offensive language etc. the restart is an IDFK.

17/18 lotg will state that verbal offences are idfk so dissent and verbal distraction offences. Not sure what other verbal offences.. probably offinabus too would be idfk restart if you stopped play to sanction i.e. it hadnt already stopped..

Back